How is genocide defined, with an emphasis on cultural genocide?

“I think the “contra” argument, that a defense attorney would raise if you tried to put those (now dead) people on trial in an international tribunal, would be fairly well crafted and have at least a decent chance of success in some cases, but probably less so in others–this is because the nature of the transfers to the boarding schools varied over time, as did the practices of those schools.”

Excuse. Oh, it’s OK because the nature of how these children were taken away from their parents varied over time.
And an attempt to paint this issue as being in the far past, with everyone concerned “now dead”

"Another wrinkle is some of these schools, perhaps even all of them, would not meet the definition of “transfer” of children. Some of the schools were day schools, and the children were sent home at the end of the day. "

Excuse. Some of the schools were day schools, so the many, many schools where the students were hundreds or thousands of miles away do not count. Some of the children who were not dead and merely anally raped got to go home for a bit, so it’s all good.

“Even the residential schools, at least in my research, ordinarily included breaks from the school in which the children were sent home. This would make it problematic to get a ruling that these schools represented the idea of a forcible transfer of children”

Excuse. It was not a "forceable transfer in your opinion, therefore a “ruling” (on genocide?) could not be obtained by your fictitious tribunal. In fact, the Canadian Truth and Reconcilliation Commission has already made this “ruling” and has found it to be cultural genocide. So your fictitious tribunal can get stuffed

“even if you can quibble about the legal definition of genocide vis-a-vis the boarding schools, there are innumerable and likely many forgotten to history cases of clear, deliberate and physical genocide by white settlers and their governments of Native Americans.”

Excuse. Other bad things happed to Indegenous people’s, so the residential schools are not genocide.

I’m sure you’ll do a great job of misinterpreting all of your excuses that you wrote earlier, in your attempt to downplay the residential schools tragedies.

Keep on denying you wrote what you wrote though. It’s amusing.

None of those fit even a textbook, dictionary definition of excuse. If you actually read the post of mine you are quoting from, you’ll actually note I never specifically say that I think in general Canadian residential schools would not fit the 1948 UN Convention definition of genocide. I simply said there would be a strong argument that could be put forth that they didn’t, in many circumstances (especially the ones that were not-boarding schools and that were not populated through use of force.) By the way, even had I explicitly said I did not think the residential schools would fit the 1948 definition (which I did not) I specifically make clear that said convention doesn’t have a monopoly on defining genocide, and that something can be a genocide even if it doesn’t meet that definition. This discussion has been split among like four different threads and all over the place, but long ago in I believe the DrDeth thread there was a brief argument about whether the clear text of the 1948 Convention applied, I said something to the effect of “it’s not entirely clear cut”, Lance interjected some stupid idiocy, and then the thread moved in another direction. Not feeling his lust for stupid had been exhausted, Lance re-energized the argument later in another thread. I was never the one keeping the 1948 Convention aspect alive.

It seems like there is some fairly clear elements of my post that you missed, I note that you don’t link to or quote it using the board’s own tools here. I wonder if that is because people would see what my clear intent with that post had been if you provided easy access to it in its entirety.

The ‘money shot’ for those that don’t click the link,

…I was the first person to use the word genocide in the unmarked grave thread. But in my first post I provided clear context. I quoted from and provided a link to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada’s 2015 report. In that report they stated:

Using the word genocide, in this specific context, didn’t seem to be particularly uncontroversial to me. But apparently not.

But it really doesn’t matter. Because it doesn’t matter what I say people aren’t going to listen to me. Because everyone has been debating this for days. But you are all missing the point.

In New Zealand.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/113395638/new-zealands-own-stolen-generation-the-babies-taken-by-oranga-tamariki

In Canada.

In Australia.

For greater context: Indigenous Australians are 3% of the population, but are 29% of the prison population.

I could go on. There are many stories that hit the headlines. But countless more that do not.

Here’s the point.

This never stopped.

This isn’t history.

You are still stealing our children.

You are still burning down our buildings, our businesses.

You are still locking us away.

You are still killing us.

I’m sure this intellectual discussion on what is and isn’t genocide is important to many.

But I’d much rather you just stopped looking away.

Thank you MrDibble for seeing me, and for hearing me. The thread in ATMB made me feel heard for the first time I think on these boards. I can’t tell you how hurtful it was to be cast in the role of the “angry brown person”, that apparently my anger make me blow all of this out of proportion, that I am taking things the wrong way. I’ve been here since 2002. I’ve posted as passionately here about misogyny on the boards, on transphobia, and never been treated like this.

There is a reason why it is important that you listen. There is a reason why our voices should be heard. And there is a reason why people like me stop posting here.

Kia ora.

I know that feel only too well, bro.

…and that one. But I’ve resolved not to let the bastards win.

And this:

I don’t think even most allies really get this.

Please stay.

Echoing @thorny_locust.

Both @Banquet_Bear and @MrDibble are two of the highlights of this board.

Thank you, Banquet_Bear, for the post above. I was not aware of just how bad it continues to be outside of the US. We also still have problems with the treatment of indigenous people here in this country; it’s mostly dealt with by just keeping folks penned up in absolute poverty on the reservations and then trying our damnedest to forget about them, but there have been issues with taking children as well. I like that term from one of your cites, uplift… it’s fitting that such a term is defined with nothing but positive terms in Merriam-Webster, when the reality of it is horrible… it is the most egregious example of patronage I can think of- that only WE can raise your kids to have a “better” life; you just aren’t capable.

When I saw that usage, the first thing I thought of was SciFi authorDavid Brin.

The coronavirus has been very illuminating about what Native American tribes in the US have to deal with, how shitty things are in reservations and how little larger American society cares or is affected unfortunately (and I’m definitely included in that criticism of larger American society).

Also as bad as it is to just passively allow them to languish, it’s the reality is worse in that America ignores the reservations up until we realize that we can make a quick buck by yet again violating their sovereignty or rights.

Martin_Hyde replying

Ooh, this should be fascinating :roll_eyes:

You probably didn’t realize that Australia never genocided people on Sundays. A very important detail.

How are people kept “penned up” in the reservations? You do realize we don’t lock the gates to them? We don’t circle them with fences. I’d certainly agree there’s high poverty rates on reservations, and poverty is a shackle for mobility in any number of ways.

Poverty and a number of other services has always been wretched on the reservations, but I’m not sure what policies people have in mind to easily fix it. There’s at least some overlaps between the issues facing reservations and certain deeply impoverished minority-majority urban neighborhoods, and I think “we”, being the collective West across a number of countries have tried out a lot of different schemes. Is there anything to actually be done for it? My inclination is usually “more money” is a decent baseline.

Going back to the “penned” comment above, is one solution to provide funding (through individual grants) to native families that want to relocate off-reservation? There’s probably a non-zero number that are stuck there out of generational poverty that would likely do better living almost anywhere else.

It’s just a “historical fact”, and therefore must be mentioned. Ad nauseum. It’s worth it.

That’s funny because I have a similar reaction whenever I see you replying to a thread, but more the thought of “great, I get to read an angry idiot who cries about everything spew another low intelligence post onto the boards.”

Oh no, I think there are plenty of times where after a genocide occurs there is no possible adequate remedy for the nations that were decimated.

I think when that happens, at a BARE minimum people should raise as much awareness as possible to prevent it happening in the future. I also think giving a group of people that has been historically decmiated more political power and giving them more reparations on an unconditional basis are also options.

There are German Jewish traditions that my family has lost forever but at least the country that did it to us is really proactive and vigilant about teaching people how awful it was and how to avoid letting it ever happen again.

Ooh, “low intelligence”, that’s very retro-racist of you. Like 2013 all over again.

Can’t decide if that’s better or worse than “bleating sheep”, though…

I don’t disagree with that, but I also think the existing native Americans might care more about actually seeing quality of life improvements. Like their material life situation isn’t improved by “awareness” campaigns about bad things that happened 50+ years ago.

One thing I find fairly shitty about the left in general is it spends way more effort on these wonky intellectual college educated discussion about history, pushing for greater recognition in academia etc for past bad things but seems to drum up way less energy into actually dealing with present day issues relating to these people. Like it’s cool we recognized the American genocide. It’s a shame almost no American can find the country of Armenia on a map, or is doing fuck all to help Armenia right now–a country that is under continual military threat from Azerbaijan and the Azerbaijani patron Turkey.

Post count increasing, worthwhile post count staying the same, sad.

Yes, to hell with the left and their… checks notes… not getting involved in the Azerbaijan-Armenia conflict.

Don’t be so hard on yourself. I’m sure if you put the effort in, the worth of your posts can increase.

Not by much, mind you. No-one expects miracles. But look at where you’re starting from - any tiny improvement would be a win. Turn that :cry: into a :neutral_face:, trouper.

Good luck. We’re all counting on you.