How many countries can you name?

I got 82. I’d have been able to get another 5 or so if I could spell properly: Venezuala and Columbia kicked my butt, as did the Guianas, I couldn’t figure out how to get the Netherlands in, either. I did like that remembering Nigeria got me Niger automatically. Looking at some of the countries I’d missed… Oy.

Got 95 the second time around, with a few days in between. Better, but not what I had hoped for.

This one gives you fifteen minutes, and is a good bit more forgiving with names. It gave me two abbreviations, and one common name that isn’t a lot like the real name (starting with a ‘b’ versus a ‘p’, IIRC). Same design, just tweaked dictionary and more time. It also has one more country.

I managed 157 countries, but I’ve been playing with this for a fair part of the day.

I must have had it backwards; so much for my memory.

Having taken the 15-minute version, I got:

By about 1:30 left, I’d given up on wringing any more out of my brain.
I missed:

Not bad, I think, but I’m pretty astonished about Finland – I thought I had input Finland; I was sure I’d remembered it.

I tried again, and went up from 90 to 97:

Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Andorra, Angola, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Belgium, Bolivia, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chad, Chile, China, Colombia, Cuba, Czech Republic, Denmark, East Timor, Egypt, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Guatemala, Guinea, Honduras, Iceland, India, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Kuwait, Latvia, Lebanon, Libya, Madagascar, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mexico, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Myanmar, Namibia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, North Korea, Pakistan, Panama, Peru, Portugal, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Singapore, Slovenia, Somalia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Thailand, Togo, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen

In the last minute or so, I was just wracking my brains! Then when the ten minutes had elapsed, it showed me all the countries I’d missed. D’oh! :smack:

Having played this most of Sunday and a few times today, I managed to get down to 8 countries without cheating. (I wrote out a UN regional list from Wikipedia)

Eh. I’m disappointed in my 103, since I’ve been doing MUN for five years. Even worse since I was just at an MUN conference all weekend. But I got some of the tricky little island ones like Vanuatu, Mauritius, Seychelles, and Togo.

…While completely missing some like Ireland, Bolivia, Ghana, and Costa Rica.

I wound up actually getting:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bhutan, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Croatia, Cuba, Cyprus, Denmark, Egypt, El Salvador, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Gabon, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Italy, Ivory Coast, Jamaica, Japan, Kenya, Kuwait, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Niger, Nigeria, North Korea, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Panama, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Somalia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Thailand, Togo, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe

Togo

I was down to 47 missing when the time ran out. I still knew more, but I’m not that fast a typist.

So, that’s 75.5%. Not too shabby.

I might try again later and see if I can enter stuff faster, since it’s not my geographical knowledge that failed me.

Just out of curiosity, how many people could name all 88 constellations? Is it worth a new thread to find out?

I only got 73 :(, but I’m bad at spatially associating things without a visual reference. If I had a blank map (unlabeled) I’m positive I would’ve gotten at least 30-40 more (at one point, I sat for almost 2 minutes without typing). I’m also quite shocked at some that I missed, but I was scattered all over the place and found it difficult to shore up the gaps.

I think I’m going to refresh for a week, then not “study” for another week, and then retake it and see how I do…

…Okay, that’s it. I’m changing my major to Packaging. It’s hard to mess up cardboard. :smack:

I meade it down to 27 missing on my second try. I need to rest my fingers now.

68, but I missed at least 15 because i couldn’t spell. And work really sucked today. And even though I can type 200 words a minute, 3/4’s of them are the backspace key. So I was close… :dubious:

Got a link?

There are any number of sites that deal with the constellations, but I have yet to locate one that presents the issue of naming all 88 of them as a quiz. I’m mostly curious about the interest in such a quiz if we can find one or make one up. I didn’t want to start a thread on the topic if there’s minimal interest in it.

You’re #1 to say “possibly” so far. Thanks for that.

I’d be interested in such a thread, myself, but I have to admit… I can name maybe five constellations. And that’s to suggest I could recognize them. (Especially against an unhighlighted starfield.)

I just tried that one, and increased my score to 169. I actually had time to think after mentally going through the alphabetical list, and was surprised at some of the ones I missed (I have heard of all these, and can give the location of each, plus at least a few basic and/or fun facts):

You forgot:Barbados, Botswana, Brunei, Bulgaria, Cambodia,
Cape Verde, Central African Republic, China, Macedonia, Madagascar,
Mozambique, Myanmar, New Zealand, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia,
Spain, Sudan, Thailand, Vatican City

However, I did type in the name I italicized in the spoiler box, just as I had in the 10-minute iteration, and again got no credit. Maybe the designers figure that’s the most obscure country, and thus nobody will think of it.

I got 89 by their count, about 10 more by not being able to spell things like Kyrgyzstan and not knowing exactly how many qualifiers to add to “Congo”.

I also used the Yakko Warner method of recall, but I don’t know the whole song.

And, as a loyal Simpsons viewer, I am disappointed at myself for missing Burkina Faso.