How often do you get "checked out"?

I notice it sometimes, but I think it’s much more fleeting than actually being “checked out”. I think I catch womens’ eyes because I’m 6’1", broad-shouldered and have lots of reddish blondish hair, which is different from the average 5’9" receding brown hair types you usually see around here. So, I don’t think it’s the "how YOU doin’ " type of look, more like a “well, he’s different” type of look.

(ETA: OK Firefox, exactly why the hell do you think womens/women’s/womens’ isn’t a word?)

I can’t remember the last time I noticed. I’m happily monogamously married so I’m sure it’s probably happened since I’m not appearing desperate and I do have some level of decent looks, but I haven’t been keeping an eye out for such things.

Not that I don’t try to quickly check out good-looking guys around me, but I haven’t caught a guy’s eye when he was looking back, in recent memory.

I get checked out reasonably often by men my own age but I can’t imagine that someone under 40 would even notice me and if they did I’d find it kind of creepy. If I notice, they smile and that’s about it. By that age most men are comfortable enough with themselves to not give it a lot of thought or meaning. I was at a campaign event for someone once and a semi-drunk young man came over and said something like “Dayum lady, you must have been da bomb in your day”. After getting a translation, I wanted to cry or at least slap him and remind him that for fully grown men, this is still our day.

I guess I get checked out often enough to feel good about it but no so often that I wonder if I’m dressing like an overaged slut.

The only time I was ever aware of being checked out was when I went to a Halloween party dressed as a library book.

Not so much any more.

I’m an older female who’s reached the age that is best illustrated in a scene in Six Feet Under where Kathy Bates and the woman who played the mother (you get older, you forget these things) are shopping in a department store. Kathy Bates is serenely putting pieces of jewelry in her purse. The mother sputters “what are you doing?” all shocked at her shoplifting friend.

Kathy Bates calmly says something to the effect of “Relax. Nobody notices us. We’re invisible”.

Becoming invisible takes some getiing used to, but it does allow certain freedoms!

Never happened, thanks for asking. :mad:

Not often enough.

This happened to the Girl’s Night Out group one night. There we are, all in our 50s and 60s and these child-boys came over to our table and started chatting us up. I couldn’t wait for them to wander away and pick on someone their own age. It was truly weird.

Yes, I do. I work in a male dominated field, and really, when you’re the only woman on the jobsite, it’s to be expected. It helps that I am reasonable attractive, in pretty good shape, and have a good attitude. I’ve been told I have a strut, but it’s not a “hooker on the corner” strut, more like a decisive stride.

The modesty helps, too.

I freaking wish that someone would check me out. I have never noticed this. I don’t believe anyone I’ve ever noticed looking at me was doing so out of an attraction to me. I’m pretty sure they’re all accidental glances or are to do with something about my appearance being out of the ordinary, like I have part of my lunch on my face or something embarrassing like that.

How does one tell the different between a casual look/accidental stare and a “check out”? Damned if I know.

Heh. My friend and I were at a bar in Newport RI one night, when an entire class of OCS graduates came in to celebrate. I won’t call a bunch of newly minted officers “boys”, but they sure *looked *like babies to us.

A few of them kept buying us drinks and dancing with us, even after I said to them “Boys, you are young, and gorgeous, and in shiny new uniforms. You are chick magnets. Why are you wasting your time on the two women here who are absolutely guaranteed to NOT have sex with you?”

I guess they weren’t there to get laid. Nothing wrong with that. They were excellent company, and I won’t pretend that my friend and I didn’t get a kick out of the incredulous reactions of the twenty-something girls who spent the night trying to get these guys’ attention and looking at us, like “Them? Really?”

I know - it’s a truly WTF moment. You don’t know if they have a thing for older women or they’re being gracious and think that they’re making our day by flirting with us. I suppose that’s sweet but I’m not that old that I need pity flirting.

More recently lately since I’ve been going to AA meetings. Maybe I have the whole downtrodden look working for me and in serious need of a hug. :wink:

Male here and I don’t think I’ve ever noticed someone checking me out although I’m sure it’s happened. I’m an idiot about such things and if I noticed someone looking at me, I’d assume my hair was a mess or the back of my shirt was untucked.

I’m married though and sometimes I ask the wife why she’s looking at me and she says she’s checking me out so there ya go. Hell, if I can’t figure out when my own wife is doing it, at least she doesn’t have to worry about me flirting with random women across the produce section.

Speaking of, the wife reports on a regular basis about being hit on at her workplace (it’s a large public building with varied personnel). Not in a bragging sense but as she tells me about her day she’ll mention the guy in the elevator who said such-and-such. But for all that she gets hit on, she decided to marry me so score! :stuck_out_tongue:

Very occasionally. Some people’ll check out anything.
:smiley:

Pretty often, actually.

Most recently, about a half-hour ago I went to grab a drink from the water fountain. As I passed by the open door to the conference room, I could hear some really loud and really boring talk about power grids (lot of state workers in my building). I got my drink, turned around and looked in the door, and there was a 40-something lady staring at me so hard that it looked like she was about to lick her lips.

I looked away. I usually look away.

On a scale of one to never, I’d say about 9.999995. :sigh:

I wish I knew, but my guess is never.

I did today…but I was old enough to be her father. :frowning: That’s what happens when your light rail commute passes through a large free parking lot and two college campuses.

Meh, I don’t get checked out except for my clothes. My chosen mode of dress is unconventional to say the least and tnds to garner a lot of attention wherever I go. Physically, I’m not particularly attractive, so I never get checked out for that, which sucks all kinds of terrible when you’re 21 and (still) single.

Generally, people just avert their eyes when they notice that I’ve noticed them staring.

I don’t mind as the looks I get are fairly warranted.

I get attention from both genders; this is acceptable to me as I am either bi or bicurious (haven’t decided yet, lol).

The attention just amuses me. Especially the double-takes.