How to get rid of social media links on web page?

More and more recently I’ve been seeing social media links in a vertical bar on the left hand side of the page – like this.

These things block the text of the page so that I have to keep the text I want to read below the links – otherwise the text is obscured by the links.

How do I stop this from happening?

Thanks,
J.

p.s. Windows 7, Chrome 39.0.2171.95

I would use AdBlock - I tested it on the page you linked to and it seems to work pretty well. Or use a higher resolution - on my monitor, the social media icons are far to the left of any content when viewed at full screen.

I’ve got Adblock + installed. It doesn’t seem to remove it.

J.

If you left-click on the Adblock Plus icon, there’s a “Block element” option. Choose that and then hover over the CONTAINER for those social icons – not the icons themselves (because that’d only block one icon) – but the rectangular container that envelopes all of them. It should highlight a little rectangle that includes all the icons. Then click. If you do it right, you’ll create a new AdBlock Plus rule:

www.jobs8home.com##.a2a_kit.a2a_kit_size_32.a2a_floating_style.a2a_vertical_style.a2a_target

And then you won’t see that particular social bar again. Repeat on any other website/annoying object that you find.

Perfect! That does it.

Thanks,
J.

Great! That element-blocking thing is super-useful.

There is an AdBlock Plus list specifically designed to remove social media links and widgets. Go to https://easylist.adblockplus.org/en/ and scroll down to “Fanboy’s Social Blocking List.”

I just installed adblock on Ms Fluffy’s office computer and there was an option to block social media links. I do not see anything on the current version on my own computer.

I could not increase my resolution however my display was set to 150% which I then reduced to the normal 125% and that “floating” sidebar social media nuisance became much smaller and totally out of my field of vision to the extreme left side of the screen. That’s good enough for me, just want to keep it off the content of the page. At times I do share things I find and do so via social media as well as email. So, it was the suggestions from the folks here that directed me toward the solution that ultimately resolved this issue to my satisfaction. Thank you all.

This got rid of everything!!! Thanks so much!!
Jane

In the two years since this was first asked, uBlock Origin has overtaken Adblock Plus as the better ad blocker:

It can also use any of AdBlock Plus’s lists, including the social ones

When all else fails, use your browser’s equivalent of Inspect/ Developer Tools (Google Chrome), use the selection highlighting tool to find the code for the offending item, and delete element.

erysichthon - this is really useful. Thanks for sharing!

Spam (amitse) reported.

Yes, Adblocker has now made deals with advertising companies to allow ‘acceptable’ ads through without blocking. The cynical view of many is that ‘acceptable’ ads are any that are willing to pay fees to Adblocker.

This seems to happen to a lot of ad blocking software. When it gets popular enough that it is used by lots of people, the ad companies offer enough money to buy them off, and then their once-effective adblocker ‘goes over to the dark side’.