How to make eggs taste not eggy?

What about egg salad? Egg salad rules. Well, mine does, anyway. And if you’re avoiding carbohydrates, you could eat it with lettuce or a low carb wrap.

You could also make breakfast burritos with low carb wraps. Dump enough salsa and hot sauce on the eggs and add some beans and you won’t know what’s under there.

I may overcook them. Ever since I got a bought of food poisoning that almost killed me (or at least it felt that way) I’ve been overly cautious with cooking stuff. I don’t like to leave any part of the eggs still runny at all. Is that my problem? How do you tell what the minimum safe amount you can cook them is?

I can give the cream cheese thing a try, thanks. I’ll also think about making quiche or fritata, that sounds like it might be alright.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Overcooking them does bring out that sulfurous eggy flavor.

I suggest you try the Gordon Ramsaymethod, not so much thinking it will become your standard way of making eggs but rather as an exercise. It really makes you pay attention to what is going on in the pan because you stand there wondering how the hell you are supposed to know when to take it off the fire and when to put it back on … and then all of a sudden you see something happening to the texture and you know it’s time.

With all that ‘paying attention’ going on, you end up being able to see the difference between runny under-cooked eggs and creamy almost-done done eggs that are ready to come out of the pan.

I’m guessing the restaurant are using fresh-ground black pepper int he eggs and you are not. This si the ultimate use for black pepper, and it will transform scrambled egg flavor completely.\

I also make a sort of pancake (not enormously fluffy, but Celtling-approved) with 2 eggs, ad a 1/4 cup each of almond and garbanzo flours. It comes out somewhere in between a pancake and a crepe. Very yummy and low-carb.

I haven’t tried Gordon Ramsay’s method, but the first step to not overcooking the eggs is to learn the difference between “done and still moist” but not “runny.” If the scrambled eggs look dry, they are overcooked for me. You want them to be moist and cohering in chunks, but not dry. That may not help you at all, because I’m not sure how to describe what I mean. Try the GR method and report back! :smiley:

How dangerous is it to experiment with undercooking eggs somewhat so that they’re still more liquid than I typically make them?

Not very. Soft boiled or over easy are very popular forms.

Maybe you could try poaching. I think eggs [del]are better when they’ve been obtained illegally[/del] lose some of their flavor when you poach them in water. I’ve never tried it myself, because I love the flavor of eggs.

I saw this link over in the stupid cooking questions thread. I tried a modified version and it rocks.
Large pat of butter and eggs into a cold pan, put the pan over med-low heat. Stir constantly. After 30 seconds or so remove. Keep stirring. Back on the heat and then off. Keep stirring.
When the eggs are slightly under done (a tiny amount of liquid visible) remove from heat for the last time and keep stirring until the eggs are shiny but no liquid is present. The consistency will be similar to cottage cheese.
Best scrambled eggs ever.
Alton Brown has a similar method using a double boiler. The secret is to not get the pan too hot.

I know you have a better grasp of statistics than the average bear. Let’s do some quick and dirty calculations with numbers from wikipedia.

There are about 69 billion eggs produced in the US each year. About 2.2 million of them are contaminated with salmonella … so your chances of running into one are around 31,000 to 1.

That would indicate that if you eat a raw egg every day you would get infected once every 82 years. That number is actually too low because most of the contaminated eggs come in clumps, not scattered randomly … if you don’t get sick from the first egg in a carton you can be pretty confident you won’t get sick from the rest of them, either.

You should also factor in that you are not eating the eggs raw. You goal here is to cook them to proper temperature without overcooking them.

I would say you are statistically more likely to come to harm on the drive to the grocery store than from eating a slightly undercooked egg. Drive carefully. :wink:

To add one more data point Orange Julius used to have the option of having a raw egg blended into your Julius.

Is salmonella the only contamination concern with undercooked eggs?

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 876000 hours unless flagged)

I’m not sure what US food safety standards apply to eggs, but in the UK, eggs stamped with the Lion Mark are safe to eat raw. Do you have something similar?Plenty of desserts like tiramisu use raw eggs.

Best thing to do is check the freshness of your eggs before cooking by dropping them (in their shell) into a cup of cold water. If they float, they are no good.

I made a breakfast burrito this morning and couldn’t taste the egg at all. The leftover smoked sprats drowned out the egg taste.

I just made some scrambled eggs with anchovy paste. Delicious. Do you like the flavor of anchovies?

FYI All - This was revived by a drive-by after 9 years.

The OP is still active here but probably doesn’t currently need eggy advice.