I’ve read this thread several times looking for something I could intelligently comment on, and I keep coming back to this snippet.
[QUOTE=Foxy40]
He knows I am a moral and fair person and he will sign whatever I ask him to sign. The moral issue is what I am struggling with.
[/QUOTE]
I haven’t seen anywhere where Foxy40 has said that her husband is a “bad” person – nothing that suggests he was cruel, abusive, neglectful, drunk, or even a bad father. What he is, according to her, is lazy.
She married him because she didn’t want to have a child out of wedlock. It’s been 8 years, and she’s tired of carrying him. She wants a nice, civilized, we-tried-but-it-didn’t-work, divorce.
And it seems like he’s willing to go along with pretty much anything she suggests. So far, so good.
Why, then, while trying to do what’s right, would she want to conceal this one little detail? Why shouldn’t she disclose to her husband that he might have a claim on the equity in the house, but maybe he ought to do the right thing and either sign it over to her or their daughter.
If he’s as disinterested about money as she says he is, he probably wouldn’t put up much of a fight. Certainly, since he hasn’t even bothered to get his own lawyer, he hasn’t been putting up much of a fight before now.
If you’re “a moral and fair person” tell the truth. If there’s a problem, that’s why you have a lawyer.