I don't understand the intensity of the hatred for Trump

And that time he stood in the Oval Office with Russian agents and announced that “the pressure was now off” since he had fired the head of the FBI. Something about colluding together to win the election just didn’t sit right with me.

Or that time he withheld military aid to Ukraine (a country desperately trying to fight off invasion by those Russians) unless they started an investigation into Joe Biden’s family. That was sort of problematic, too.

I think that’s what made me angry the most. That he was the most obvious narcissistic bullshit artist but people just failed to see it. I remember in 2016 thinking “okay, maybe there’s some idiots out there who will vote for this guy but there’s no way the idiots will outnumber people with half a brain in their head.” I was wrong.

(Redacted due to above mod request.)
I cannot fathom why anyone can’t see through Trump. I don’t get it.

Yeah, forgot about the COVID missteps. By making COVID precautions political, he spawned a whole new anti-vax movement, and the US did worse than almost all of Western Europe in terms of deaths per million.

So, he directly caused the extra COVID deaths of many thousands of American and then tried to overthrow our democracy. What’s not to love?

It’s jaw-dropping to me that this Access Hollywood tape was kind of the start of things that Team Trump worried might hurt his chances. Then, Stormy Daniels. Better shut her up! If she goes public that could hurt Republican support! But, nah.
Evangelicals flocked to him. I don’t get it.

For one thing, he wasn’t Austrian. He didn’t have any kind of mustache. And he never did any military service, much less the Bavarian Army. Definitely not a literal Hitler.

This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Now, let’s not bicker and argue about who tried to overthrow who’s election in a buffoonish insurrection.

You don’t know many evangelicals, do you? Hypocrisy is completely on-brand for them. Jesus isn’t just their savior; he’s their moral shield against all manner of dissimulation and unwarranted sanctimoniousness.

Stranger

I’ve loathed him since the 1980’s. He typified sleazy business practices, took great joy in demeaning and abusing others even back then. Just take a look at some of the things lampooned about him in Doonesbury back in those days.

And I only saw him get worse over time.

^^
This.

That is, at a minimum, enough to justifiably hate the Ochre Joker.

Incidentally, I don’t see why many don’t put the blame of the Jan 6 Insurrection on Trump, that would never, ever, could had taken place if Trump had conceded the election in 2020.

Bloom County even more so. A lot from Bloom County.

Oh, go get a glass of water. ;-D

Bill the Cat had my vote for president!

Back to the Future II had it right, and that was the 80s. Shame none of his supporters saw it. Then again, I guess they would have loved Biff in that too!

Mine to in 1988. I voted for Papa Bush in the primary but when he added Quayle to the Ticket, I said screw this and voted Bill the Cat for President.

In retrospect, kind of chilling actually.

In a very, very sort of backdoor manner you gotta credit him for one thing. He brought out all the racist bigotry and outright hatred that very much exists and it was certainly a wake up for those that may have thought society had been gradually improving over the years. There’s an awful lot of work to be done. Start with the school system.

Or Spy Magazine.

Stranger

He broke our country. Hopefully not irreparably.

Speaking as a non-USian, the truly chilling thing was “Article 5 of the NATO treaty? maybe not, unless the US can make some money off it.”

The NATO treaty has kept the peace in Europe since 1949. And one man was considering just ripping it up.

And then Helsinki. When he publicly stated that he didn’t believe the US intelligence apparatus, because he trusted his good buddy Vlad.

International peace and security? Where’s the profit in that?

Well, he peeled off the Bondo and exposed what was already broken. Trump is an unavoidable symptom rather than the root cause.

Stranger

Everyone that is mad at him can see, plainly, that he is a fake, and has hornswoggled a large percentage of the people of this country into believing he is a rich and successful person (and a victim), by amping-up the hatred. Those not persuaded by the fakeness have been trying to correct the massive amount of damage he has wrought on politics, social structure, the environment, public health, international relations, etc. etc…

I don’t really care what happens to him, personally. That this excrescence is still given deference is what pisses me off.

1988 was the last time I voted Republican. I held my nose over Quayle and voted Bush then, but after 4 years of that, voted for my first Democrat for president in 1992. I did avoid voting for Reagan in 80 and 84 by voting for Anderson (former liberal republican turned independent) and then being on call all day in Mr. Hospital in 1984 so not voting, the only presidential election I ever missed.

I despised Reagan, thought the combination of Dubya and Cheney was the worst thing possible, then watched Trump in office and was 10 times more disgusted by him than I’d been by Nixon, Reagan, and Bushes combined.