I forget, do we have a general HurricaneDitka Pit thread?

You left off the first two sentences of the paragraph when you quoted it. The paragraph in its entirety was clear, all the more so when combined with the paragraph which preceded it.

I don’t know what you’re talking about WRT “proper noun-pronoun agreement” and have no doubt that you don’t either, but you’re correct that it’s your fault. As you’ve shown in the Trump threads, you really have difficulty understanding written English.

Since you need an English lesson better suited for a sixth-grader, here goes:

“JohnT’s point* had been that the US in particular is in a position where population growth is essential and this is something these immigrants could provide. By contrast, in their home countries, population growth was not crucial and there were other obstacles to economic growth. As I said above, it** was a shaky point. (That said, by the standards of the bilge which routinely passes for thought on this board, it’s not bad. Probably in the upper half, I would guess.)”

• Noun (with modifier indicating it was my point)
    ** pronoun (which you now claim references HD)

Properly written to sixth grade standards, it should have read:
“JohnT’s point had been that the US in particular is in a position where population growth is essential and this is something these immigrants could provide. By contrast, in their home countries, population growth was not crucial and there were other obstacles to economic growth. As I said above, HD’s position was a shaky point. (That said, by the standards of the bilge which routinely passes for thought on this board, it’s not bad. Probably in the upper half, I would guess.)”

See? Now “it” no longer refers to my point.

As I said, you left off the first two sentences (not to mention the prior paragraph). I see you felt the need to do it again in order to support your claim. Here’s how it is with the prior sentences.

In that other thread, JohnT had claimed the US needed immigrants from non-white countries in order to be economically robust. HD responded that these immigrants had not been making their home countries economically robust, so the notion that they would make the US economically robust is unconvincing.

It’s* a rather simple, intuitive, and on-point response. At the same time, it’s also overly simplistic. JohnT’s point had been that the US in particular is in a position where population growth is essential and this is something these immigrants could provide. By contrast, in their home countries, population growth was not crucial and there were other obstacles to economic growth. As I said above, it** was a shaky point. (That said, by the standards of the bilge which routinely passes for thought on this board, it’s not bad. Probably in the upper half, I would guess.)

*Noun. No modifier needed, since it was explicitly described as a “response”.
**Pronoun. No modifier needed. HD’s response is what I had earlier described as a shaky point, and which was additionally described in this very paragraph as “overly simplistic”.

Again, you really have trouble reading English. No power on earth can help you, apparently.

You even lie about words right in front of your lying face.

Are you trying to get a job in the Trump administration? I know the rumor is that SHS is on her way out, but they lie almost as much as you do, so I wouldn’t count on it. Even trumpistas would be like, “Holy shit, that guy is a liar!” You’d give away the game. The trump administration is pretty blatant about their lies, but you are even stupider than they are, trying to lie about words that are typed on a message board for anyone at all to see. If they were as stupid and blatant about lying as you are, they would have given away the game too early, and we’d be under a sane president, rather than the liar that you defend and support.

Dude, just stop.

You’re completely wrong. Just slink out of the thread and don’t come back, just like you promised above.

Let’s go to the quarry and throw stuff down there! Dude, I don’t respect you at all; I talk to you as a form of charity or for the comedy factor of reading your ridiculous lies and contortions.

I suspect I’m not alone, too.

https://webapps.towson.edu/ows/pro_antagree.htm

The funniest thing about this post… well, there are a lot of things funny about this… is that your absolute insistence on doubling down on a losing position.

See, here’s the thing: You actually had an argument to make, you just made the wrong one. And you made the wrong argument not on the merits, not on standard S&W or Chicago Rules or whatever style guides you studied ( :snerk: ), but on an absolute belief that you were right in the first place, that I was wrong, and that was that. You had to be correct. I had to be wrong. Your personality is such that you cannot handle otherwise, and this condition is so engraved into your persona that you couldn’t find a better solution.

So, let’s just dispense with the above nonsense by not even rebutting it. A simple citation… which I provided above… will show you the error of your ways. In short: Pronouns don’t work the way you insisted they work.

Were you not suffering from this personality deficit, you could have stepped back and (a) reviewed noun/pronoun rules, or (b), find another part of your sentence which could have been used to refute my statement.

Huh. Could such a thing be possible?

Yes. All you had to do… and I was actually expecting this… was merely argue that the clause prior to your pronoun obviously referred to a statement prior to this paragraph. It would have been so easy… so correct… to mention this.

You know, this clause: “As I said above…”

But you couldn’t. You literally could not. You just had to dig in, insist on your being right on pronoun usage, and, again, on showing your personality disorder to the Board.

And I made the argument hoping that you would double-down on it. that you wouldn’t point out the obvious. It was a bit of a risk, but what the hell, right?

And you fell for it. Hook, line, and sinker.

Now, pointing out that clause would not have meant you used the pronoun correctly. You still fucked that up. But you could have argued that the clause referred the reader to a point you made earlier and that the sentence was merely clumsily written, mea culpa, my bad, sorry guys and gals I’ll do better next time.

However, as you are congenitally unable to admit being incorrect in any capacity, you could not see this. Would not.

And this is why we mock you, FP. It’s not because of your opinions… people here don’t mock Bricker (many may not like him, or his opinions, but we don’t make fun of him)… we mock you because

… we mock you because you insist on never being wrong
… we mock you because you are constantly wrong
… we mock you because you cannot compliment without insulting
… we mock you because you refuse to learn
… we mock you because you refuse to listen
… we mock you because you refuse to debate honestly

This entire thread is a microcosm of your personality disorder. You literally turned a thread about HD into a thread about you. Not the first time, not the 50th time, and likely not for the last time. You say something in good faith, somebody rebuts in good faith, then you lose your marbles. You double down. You insult the respondent. You insult the reader. You insult non-participants. You insult and disdain to the point where one wonders “Why the fuck does he even bother to come here?”

And it’s hilarious watching you do this. “You wrote what you wanted to write!”, you once whined. Cracked my ass up, that did, as nothing you penned in the decade you’ve been here more perfectly sums up the FP experience for us. Yes, FP, we write what we want to write. Got a problem with that? :rolleyes:

So, now I’m sitting here LOLing because I suckered you into a bad argument, and I know your response is going to be more insults, more doubling down, more of the same old crap. And I’ll ignore it… probably… and we’ll watch you make an ass out of yourself forevermore.

Ciao.

(Oh, you still get -1 point for noun-pronoun agreement. Had you made the correct argument, I would’ve given you half a point back - still wrong, but not as wrong as I made it out to be.

Hurricane Ditka, you are a disingenuous piece of crap. I’m fucking sick of your ““oh so calm and measured” concern trolling. If you can read Trumps twitter feed day in and day out and not take offense foul spewing of President PeePee, you have no business being offended at a harsh comment made by a freaking comedian.

You’re not a patriot. You are a democracy hating fuckstick whose willing to destroy your own country because you get paranoid whenever you hear someone speaking Spanish. You and the rest of your “patriotic” fuckhead cohort need to go hide in a cave with your guns and supply of MRE’s. The. You will start to find each other increasingly suspect until you turn on and eradicate each other for not hating hard enough. Problem solved.

Before you go to bed tonight, look at your newborn son. Then imagine how you would feel if he was ripped from the arms of you and your wife and locked in a cage while we shipped you both to another country far away. Just because we don’t like the language you speak . Then be glad that there is no justice in the world.

Bravo, Ann!

Well said, but he will not read your words. He is too much a coward to come to the pit and hear anything harsh that anyone may have to say about him.

He will look at his white newborn child, and know that because his child is white, he has little chance of having him ripped away from him. He knows that that is a policy that is reserved for people that don’t look like him, and so is not only okay with it, not only defends it, but encourages it.

Pretty sure he reads every post, he just doesn’t respond. A while back he had PM’d me and IIRC straight up admitted that he reads this thread.

What exactly did iiandyiiii claim he (HD) said?

I don’t really much care whether he reads this thread or not, since it’s not going to change his behavior. I think it’s more important that other posters who engage with him are aware of his m.o., that he affects a false veneer of sanctimonious civility and that it hides both a basic dishonesty and some really ugly hateful beliefs. I think Ann Hedonia put it well in #389.

I knew all this but even I was surprised at his outright implication that immigrants were of no value to America if they were from shithole countries, which was sort of a corollary to his earlier claim that they’re all a bunch of criminals. He obviously regards the Trump administration as a shining model of the kind of culture of achievement that America should aspire to, and respects their intellectual discernment in letting the immigrants have it just the way they deserve, with both barrels.

If you don’t understand what you have written, you are not alone.

Regards,
Shodan

Come to think of it, the field’s wide open since May 15. We really need to start assessing who’s going to assume the title next year

Awards season has a way of kinda sneaking up on you…

In a thread about what would make one either flee from or act violently against authority in the US, we have this gem from HD:

Anyone surprised that someone who sympathizes with the OK City bomber implies that he’s not far from joining an insurgency and shooting Americans?

I’m surprised he thinks anyone gives two shits about his feeling comfortable.

He doesn’t, he just thinks that we should.

Believes? Maybe. Feels? Possibly. Thinks? Not a chance.