I fucking HATE YOU, cancer.

I hate you, hate you, HATE YOU. I hate you so much that it balls up in my throat until I’m inarticulate with rage. How could it be possible to hate something inanimate with such a painfully burning intensity, I don’t know. But I’ve managed it. You indiscriminate killer of good people and bad. You rot people from the inside out, you sneaky fucking bastard.

You despoiler of children, torturer of strong men, ravager of women. Fuck you, you fucking piece of shit disease.
HATE. HATE

I’m afraid to ask, as I may not want to know the answer. Let me just say I agree with every word.

It sure is a shitty thing. Took my aunt way before her time. :frowning:

My dad has lung cancer and was recently hospitalized. But this tonight I just found out the wife of the young couple who own the house my family lives in-- an athlete with a 12 year old, and a 2 year old-- has prostrate cancer and just started chemo.
FUCK CANCER!

Cancer fucking sucks, that’s for damn sure. Lost my mom from it when I was 19. I truly wish you, your dad, and your landlords all the best, Biggirl.

Quick question, though, since curiosity has gotten the better of me:

The wife has prostate cancer? You sure about that? Is she a m-to-f transsexual?

It is definitely the wife and I thought they (talked with the couple) said prostrate but, quite honestly, it was hard enough to nod and make sympathetic noises when all I really wanted to do was scream in impotent rage.

She’s a lovely young woman and she looked. . . bad.

I hate cancer.

I agree; it killed both of my parents and a grandfather.

I just knew I didn’t want to know. It’s what I thought it might be. Personal.

Biggirl, I wish I could offer advice. But as I’m sure you know by now, this is very personal and you will have to deal with it in your own way. I’ve had to do the same and trust me, I know what you’re going through. It’s always a different beast (the feelings) for different people, and each beast has a different way of being defeated. I know this sounds sappy and trite, but it’s heartfelt and the best I can do on a message board. Just know that I feel for you and pray for the best.

On a side note, men can get breast cancer, is it possible for a woman to get prostate cancer? I thought we all shared almost every biological component. Is there some sort of residual prostate-type gland in women?

Biggirl, could it have been pancreatic cancer?

These days prostate cancer is usually treatable, with just medications and steroids.

Pancreatic cancer is nearly always untreatable and fatal.

And you have my sympathies. 8-(

I’m so sorry.

I’ve seen the ugly face of cancer too many times as well…my grandma died at 50 of lung cancer. It later took two of her brothers as well. One of my cousins died at 41 of brain and lung cancer.

If you want to talk, even if just to vent, my email’s in my profile…{{HUGS}}

Timely thread – if that’s an approiate word under the circumstances.

My Mom went through a masectomy a short three years ago. Through frequent check-ups and all sorts of medication we thought things were pretty much under control.

Poughly three months ago sge started complaning about recurring constipation/inability to defecate regularly without contless laxatives. I suppose in a clasci case of denial, both my sister and I kept pointing to her near perfect check-ups and the fact that she, like for other females in mh family, this has been a recurring issue – in short, that it was mostly phsycological. Still and all we tried getting her a colonoscopy and things went from bad to worse for she couldn’t handle the prescribed double dose of the Fleet laxative that was required prior to the exam. She literally became quite ill and we had to cancel the appointment.

Fast forward to yesterday. She kept complaining about her symptoms and we decided to try again – only this time as an in-pacient in order to have more control over her reaction to the purge.

With a prior setback or two, the procedure was performed and it went beautifully – until the results came back that is. Huge tumor almost completetly closing her colon, just a matter of time (short) before it closes completely. Doctors wanted her to stay in the hospital to commence additional tets prior to surgery, I managed to bring her home for the weekend to get her mind, attitude and everything else in order.

Ordeal starts on Monday. Wish I could say I hold high hopes for a woman of 86 coming out of this of the side of life. As much as I knew this point in time was coming sooner rather than latter – simply biology told me so – it still hit me like a ton of bricks.

So yeah, FUCK CANCER sideways with a rusty spoon.

I love you so much, Mom. Hope I have a bit more time to show you just how much.

Biggirl, I’ll second, or third, or whatever, your sentiments.

A former coworker of mine had to quit because he was starting chemo. He was trying to act positive, but things kept coming back. Upshot is, he’s dying, and the only treatments remaining are as likely to kill him as the cancer is. He’s opting out now, trying to enjoy the time he has left, rather than be confined to the ICU.

Fuck cancer indeed.

Unless she’s got some funky chromosomal problem, no. Men have breast tissure similar to women’s breasts. Women don’t have a prostate.

On a sidenote: My mom’s best friend just found out today that her best friend’s fiancee has stage III esophageal carcinoma. It’s pretty much untreatable, and at stage III, they probably won’t do much to keep him alive.

Sam

Lost my mother to cancer at age 8. That did, indeed, suck pretty hard.

Not sure what to add but that you have our sympathy.

I’m sorry, and fifth or sixth your sentiments.

I watched my mother get sick and die from pancreatic cancer that spread to her liver. She was 56. It was the ugliest, most disgusting and grotesque thing I have ever witnessed. And all the treatments she got never did a thing but make her even more sick, which begs the question, which is worse, the disease or the supposed cure?

She never got to meet my wife, which is something I’m really sorry about… they would have got on like a house afire.

I’m sorry you have to go through this.

I feel for you. I recently lost an uncle to esophogeal cancer that spread to his stomach and liver. The time between when he (and our family) found out he had cancer till the time he died was less than a month. :frowning:

(Oh, and I also feel inclined to add that the wife must have pancreatic or some other type of cancer…women don’t have prostates.)

Which is the question that’s been driving ne batty over the past few hours. If there sort of objective answer to this or is the only possible answer based on a case-by-case scenario? IOW, how often can the cure be worse than the treatment?

BTW, Biggirl – and all other direct and indirect victims of The Big C – my heart goes out to you.

PS-Please switch "treatment"for “disease” in my above post.

Red and Big, my prayers go out for you. A fat lot of good the prayers of a heathen like me can do, but they’re in whoever’s In Box if He, She, or It cares to look. :frowning:

Cancer really is an ugly way to die. I lost one grandfather and my stepfather to lung cancer, my other grandfather to an evil team of colon cancer, heart problems, and diabetes, and a little cousin to a brain tumor. The poor kid was born with the goddamn thing already there. He managed to live for 8 years, which was a lot longer than the doctors predicted, but he succumbed in the end.

I’m so sorry you have to go through this.