I hate when I do that in the MMP! - old

Back from the post office and Food Lion. Some crocheted critters are on their way to their new homes. The one going to my mom cost just under $5 - if I’d delivered in myself, it would have cost more than that in tolls, to say nothing of gas. I didn’t give her a price, other than the cost of postage. Just told her anything over and above that would go to Daughter’s school fundraiser.

Another thing I hate - just this weekend, our savings crossed a threshhold (going up, even!!) and I was thinking how nice that was. So, naturally, when FCD took his car in for an oil change, they discovered that he needs tires. When I took mine in for an oil change, they told me I need tires. I think Paul put a note on our account to upsell us tires!
:rofl:
Kidding - we’re probably his longest-time customer and he’s never jerked us around before. Obviously the mere acknowledgement of a nice bank balance upset our karma. (Or is it carma??) Dammit. At least we’ve got money in the bank to cover the tires on both vehicles. But still… :stuck_out_tongue:

I think I’ll adjourn to my recliner and pout for a while.

I’m in here to brag about how my church must be doing something right because yesterday we had another visit by the Westboro Baptist Church and their picket signs. Pastor did the same thing as a few weeks ago, went outside and waved at them. Drives them nuts.

In that vein I drove by the WBC compound earlier this morning, taking my dog to the park. Their weekly sign read “GOD HATES JEWS” So, God is on the side of Hamas, the terrorist Muslim group?" Odd. I really ought to make a donation to the local Islamic Center, and tell them why.

If you gave me a rope and a calf standing perfectly still, I couldn’t lasso it for the life of me. Yet somehow I manage to lasso doorknobs with my lanyard all the frickin’ time.

Re: heels, as a shorty teaching Brobdingnagians, I needed every advantage I could get. Luckily my very petite (4’9) mother taught all us girls how to walk gracefully in heels, so that wasn’t an issue, and if they were the right size, I didn’t find them uncomfortable. I spent over 40 hours a week in them. (4 school days, 10-12 hours a day, plus travel time. Fridays we had to wear team shirts and jeans, so I wore casual shoes.) I don’t think I’ve worn heels since I retired, though. I mostly wear sneakers.

The secretaries used to give me hell for wearing heels on icy, snowy days, but the only time I ever fell was when I was leaving the gym and wearing sneakers. Sneakers are dangerous! High heels are crampons! :slight_smile:

I’m making a root vegetable soup.I figure it’ll be nice to have after returning from the itch doctor (obligatory “Ting, tang, walla-walla-bing-bang”) appointment, as it’s a cool, rainy day.

flyboy, I wonder how many–if any–stores they’ll close. Do you have pharmacies in nearby supermarkets?

Well, sure, especially when one is as smitten with his spouse as you are. :slight_smile: But spending a few hours apart makes for better times when together, don’t you think? Plus it’s healthy to take some quiet time alone.

And yea, verily, God gaveth humankind the Roomba, and humankind rejoiceth…those who could afford them, that is.

Doggio, I’d pay to see Spot doing her Camille act.

I chopped half a head of cabbage and made cole slaw. Hope 2 hours of sitting will be enough to make it yummy. I should have made it this morning, dammit.

Other than that, I’ve been a slug. I’ve got a metric buttload of laundry tomorrow when Tobias is here, so I deserve to slug today. So there!
:stuck_out_tongue:

I forget to start timers which really ticks me off. I’ll even set them so they are ready when something hits the right temp but then I’ll forget to start the damn thing. I’ve got a pretty good sense of time, and can usually figure it out, but I’m going to be really mad if I overcook the cookies for the contest.

I started making my own lanyards using elastic beading string because I was so tired of hanging myself. My last job had one specific fabric lanyard we were supposed to wear for training and I modified it with rubber bands so it worked like a cat’s breakaway collar.

UNFORGIVEABLE! That poor kitty takes so much abuse on a daily basis :frowning:

We still have those sort of trucks. The driver carries dog biscits to hand out to the neighborhood dawgs.

Lever door handles can snag on clothing if you walk too close and if you are really good, you can hit yourself on the ass with the door while rushing through with full hands.

Those sort of details are always nice to have. I hope the delivery is uneventful.

Actually, you have to train your feet into high heels, you aren’t just born walking in them. Once trained, the tendons in your calves shorten so that you become dependent on the high heels and wearing flat shoes hurt. I’d probably still be wearing them except I got a warehouse job that required flat shoes. Once I got used to wearing flat shoes again my feet just refused to wear high heels anymore.

And then I had that horrible foot surgery that left me with scars that looked really ugly in sandals so strapey shoes were out for the rest of my life anyhow.

GO YOU!!!

I love your pastor. If you feel safe doing it, please PM your church’s name to me so I can send them a few bucks.

Yep, that happens to us all the time, LOL!!!

Afternoon, all. Today’s been fun so far. I had a class, and then my mom and sister surprised me by taking me to Culver’s for lunch!! (It wasn’t exactly a surprise since I knew ahead of time but still) It was very tasty. I even brought my drink from there back to school to take to my next class.

It depends on what you mean by ‘nearby’. Rite-Aid is five miles from the house. There’s a pharmacy in Safeway in Lynden. That’s 10 miles east of here. The pharmacies in Ferndale (Ferndale Pharmacy, CVS, Walgreens, Haggens) are about 12 miles away.

I have one (courtesy of ex-I.T. Guy) but the amount of litter scattered would kill the thing, or else I’d hafta get up and dump/replace the chamber every 3.7 seconds.

It’d be a shitload easier to just sweep.

(You know what’s even easier? Sitting on my @$$ with you fine folks.)

You DO have video capabilities on your phone, yes? Or at least a camera?

Hint. Hint.

Now I’m thinking: go full-on 60s and stick flowers onto their rifles signs. :peace_symbol:

Kidding. That would probably cause an altercation. But if you wanted to start a thread soliciting non-violent and non-illegal ways to troll those trolls, I’d totally be up for that.

Hint, hint.

FCM blink twice if we should send help.

So you need a reminder to remember to start your reminder.

You are my people.

Pro: lever doors can be opened with your elbow (or foot, if you have really good balance) when your hands are full.

Con: lever doors can be opened by some cats & certain dogs, who as a rule don’t close the friggin’ thing behind them. Rude, really.

There’s another thread where Dopers keep rhapsodizing about this place. Google informs me there’s one less than 10 miles away. I may hafta try them one of these days.

It’s possible that location will be taken over by one of the other chains.

There was a chemical spill and shelter-in-place very VERY close to my home earlier today.

I found out about this when my phone started screeching with one of those emergency alerts.

SHELTER IN PLACE ORDER LIFTED! CHEMICAL FIRE HAS BEEN CONTAINED!

Me: The … I’m sorry, the what now? :hushed:

Well, since the neighborhood didn’t go up in flames, I checked my mailbox.

… and found …

… oh, yeah …

… there it was …

… I cried. Happy tears.

I’m a card-carrying Michigander now ferrealz.

:slight_smile:

Yay shoe!

The clients finally told e which building to take their crap to. If only they’d tell me where in the building…

Yeah…I’ve been worried about GG and the levers. He’s opened the Good Things cabinet a couple of times and I’m fairly sure he opened the bedroom door a couple of nights ago, but so far he hasn’t figured out how it happens. Hubs says that even if GG does figure out that he is causing it to happen with doors he’s leaning against, he won’t figure out how to pull a door open while he’s leaning on it and messing with the lever.

He’s gotten awful trusting in his dottage.

Imma rant for a bit …OK as we know my aunt comes from a large-sized family and my mentally/physically disabled 46-year-old cousin isn’t very active … we also know aunt believes most modern doctors are there to rip ya off etc

so she buys all this natural healing crap on things like Facebook…Well to help my cousin shes getting all these allegedly celebrity-endorsed weight loss keto gummies on Facebook and has been bugging me to buy them for months Well she finally had the money but I ordered them from somewhere else

Now if you’ve ever ordered anything off a Facebook page you fill out the normally required delivery and payment info But before your order is completed you have to click no to all the “special discounts and limited time offers” for all the other crap they sell>>Well they sent me some other “cleansing” pills at 130$ for 2 bottles and when I asked for a refund saying I didn’t order them … they got snotty questioning my intelligence and reading comprehension and offered a refund of 20 bucks

So I called the bank to file a dispute the day after Columbus Day and the heavily accented about to retire sounding grandpa to put in the info…Now normally the bank puts in the money within a day or two with the caveat that if the bank decides there’s no problem they take it back out which is rare with the type of place I’m arguing with

But Grandpa sat on it for a few days before it was processed so it’s taking forever to get the money put back in and the accounts overdrawn …I’m getting yelled at for not paying attention etc …So my day is turning into a day of suck… and right now I wish to tell aunt, gummy company, and bank where to go how to get there, and what to go do with themselves when they arrive …

At least the cars are fixable. Or else your Karma, carma would have chameleoned into

which would really put a dent in the newly improved savings account.

I had a very different idea of how that sentence would end once you were taking your dog to WBC.
:evil plan:
:poodle: :poop:

Her Ladyship is 4’11 on a good day. And taught high school math for a few years when she wasn’t an engineer in a substantially all-male specialty. Yeah, taller is good. Like you, she was (still is) quite proud of comfortably and skilfully wearing heels full time. She can wear cute sneaks and does for longer walks.

Quite. I sometimes think though that we’re almost avoiding having time together. Which is the polar opposite of my life with my late first wife. We could go 2 weeks and except to poop never be out of sight of each other, and happily so.

You’ve done enough this month that you’ve earned the right to be a slug until, about, oh, 2027 or so. And I don’t mean a bit before 8:30pm, sailor. :wink:

I personally never wore a lanyard with a dangly badge; too awkward and catches on shit constantly. My several ID badges were on a clip that hung from my shirt pocket flap or uniform jacket lapel. Easy for pilot outfits on men or women, but not so easy on other kinds of clothes.

Many of my cow-orkers of whatever specialty had lanyards. But the company issue lanyard had a break-away velcro section for behind your neck. For safety around machinery. Anyone who wears a badge lanyard regularly should have that. Here’s one (non-velcro) example:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082WVZK3S
The only gotcha was it was sorta easy for the safety feature to detach unnoticed, the badge cluster fall to the floor and the owner walks away oblivious. There’s no solution that doesn’t contain the seeds of a new problem. The Universe just hates us is all.

Ahh-Yup. My condo had kitchen drawer and cabinet pulls about like these, but with somewhat longer ends sticking out:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J31SJ3P
There were a remarkable number of ways to get a belt loop or pocket edge engaged in one of those ends while cooking or whatever. Heck, back when I usually wore cargo shorts I’ve had them catch in the pleat of the cargo pocket. Fortunately I never had a disaster carrying a pot of boiling whatever. But I came close a time or three.

Yaay for free food and a mid-day family visit! Wish I could have family things like that. One of the side effects of being older is most family is either a thousand miles away or dead. Treasure what you have while you have it.

Pretty good bet somebody is going to move into that void unless your town is tiny. You might get a new Walgreens out of the deal. Here’s hoping.

We’re crying with you, not at you. :slight_smile:
Seriously, congrats on getting another one of your admin problems put to bed. Doubly so for not having problems with the cops first.

“He” as in the hubby, or “he” as in the cat? :slight_smile:

Ouch!

Never buy shit from FB. Just don’t. It can’t end well.

As to me:
Ended up not beaching this morning, then Her Ladyship set a new record for sleeping in. So post-shevelment, breakfast was had at 1230; I’d been up for 7 hours by then.

Then she dashed off to a doctor’s appointment (checkup for something; no biggee) and then I went to the beach. Turns out that was good timing in terms of clouds and temp; earlier would not have worked as well. Once properly stocked up on vitamin UV I came home. And now here a couple hours later it’s clouded up a bunch. Lucky me.

In the spirit of this week’s thread … Upon return from the beach I failed to successfully walk through the fully open doorway to my bedroom, bouncing one shoulder off the jamb. Ouch!

Now she’s home from a post-doctor Target run and we’re thinking about our evening plans.

Cheers to all who survived a irking Moanday!

Afternoon all. Four of the “S’s” for Moanday are complete (shopping/sammich/swimming/.sauna) with only soccer left in a couple of hours. My conspicious consumption this weekend cost me a couple of extra pounds at the Moanday weigh-in, so I’ll have to behave myself for awhile, still can’t get the scale to read below 240lbs.

shady, you make me glad I’ve never ordered directly from a Facebook page; and hope they get the account straightened out for you.

VanGo, maybe just dump it all in the vestibule and let them put it where they want it…

shoe, Yippee! on being legal again.

Flyboy, ouch! Hope they keep the local store open while they re-organize. Got CVS, Walgreens, and Kroger/Publix pharmacies within 4 miles of me.

Cookie, enjoy dining out.

Cupcakes, anything that irritates the Westboro folks is OK by me.

Mmmm…Butterburgers… Shoe, they are pretty good, and they have crinkle-cut fries which I am partial too, but for a 10-mile trip, try to include something else to make it worth the time…that’s just me.

OK, getting near 4pm here, so need to be thinking how to keep ten 9-11 year olds busy for an hour. Take care all.

A few packages of firecrackers and a couple books of matches? :grin:

metal mouse I’m tempted to just dump in the lobby. I’ll even leave the tools they need to do assembly. I’m not staying overnight to take it apart, but they don’t know that yet.

And you must be in a denser metro area than I am. 10 miles is nothing. Heck, it’s about 15 to my shop.

Hi gang!
I haven’t had the mental bandwidth to participate in the MMP for the past few weeks. I hope everyone has been doing well.

Things have been both happening and not happening. Due to my recent underemployment of late, the lack of financial liquidity in the Wheelz household was becoming increasingly uncomfortable. So I started driving for DoorDash. It’s not big money, but it’s money, and it’s been keeping us from having to dip into our savings to pay the bills.

I actually don’t mind it - except for the time I tripped and did a face-plant on a customer’s front walk after dropping off their food. I truly thought I’d broken my nose; it hurt like hell and there was a LOT of blood. The residents of the house were amazing. They came out with towels and water, helped me get cleaned up and collect myself, and offered to call an ambulance. After I’d had a chance to relax and take inventory and realized nothing was broken, I declined that offer and went on home. It was all superficial, but my forehead and knees were all scraped up and I had a nasty black eye. I looked pretty grim for a couple of weeks.

Meanwhile, I got an offer for a proofreading job that turned out to be a scam. Our software is proprietary, they say, so you’ll get a computer with the software pre-loaded on it. OK, says I. Great, they say, we’ll send you a check to cover the cost of the computer so you can pay the vendor. Why don’t you pay the vendor directly, I ask. Beacause they won’t take checks, only electronic payments. Then why don’t you pay them electronically? Our system isn’t set up for that, but it’s OK, we do this all the time. Yeah, sure you do. Buh-bye now.
So that was quite disappointing.

But, the inventory company I started working for back in May - and worked for exactly two weeks since then - called and said they have a packed schedule for the rest of the year, and there’s plenty of work now if I want it. Yes, please!

So I’m now sitting at baggage claim in Little Rock, waiting for my ride, who’s due in about 20 minutes. I’ve got at least a three-week paycheck coming my way, which will seem huge, and hopefully more to come. Yay!!

And, as this post has taken me nearly all day to write, I need to catch up on 20 or so of your posts; you can see why I haven’t been MMPing for a bit. But I’ll try to keep up while on this trip. Happy Moonday!

Aaarrrggghhh.

She has your best interests at heart, but she might not have your best interests at brain.

Re: weight loss … There’s no “quick’n’easy” solution, especially not one in the form of a tasty, frooot-flavored gummi. And double-plus not so in the form of something cheap.

Aaaaarrrrgggghhh again. Those things are death bruise inducing.

Nope, I spent most of a day in the local, um, non-hotel several months back. I swear I told the story.
It sucked.
When I finally got out (no phone, had to walk to a local corner store & beg the clerk to use their phone, and also, can you look up the local taxi number for me?) made it home over an hour after I was supposed to be at work.
Called sweet manager in tears - just absolute adrenaline overload at that point - who laughed and told me somebody else on the crew was subscribed to some local FB group that included the local minor crime roundups. Apparently, they showed her the post, complete with booking mugshot, saying, “Betcha shoe isn’t in today.”
She was like, “So Facebook called out for you today. I’m glad you’re home. See ya tomorrow.”

For those quick-scrolling, the ^^ happened months ago.

Dang.

There’s a joke about pilots and time zones in there somewhere.

Concur. You’ve asked, repeatedly, and they’ve responded with half of an answer, if I understand/remember correctly.
If ^^ is true AND you’ve been paid, drop it off in the most convenient common area (maybe sporting a Post-It with a cheerful smiley face and a slightly passive aggressive “Here ya go! Kthxbye” but that’s just me) and go about your life.

Heh. We have crinkle cut at work. I want crinkle cut, I can get crinkle cut.

And I wouldn’t drive that far without finding some other errands along the way. That’s too f’ing far for a quick, cheap meal …

… even if it does involve a bucketful of butter.

I have eaten today, but it’s been pretty much nothing but carbs. Unsurprisingly, I am craving red meat.

Top contenders:

Local taco joint:
Nearby, no need to put on non-PJs, inexpensive, supports local biz.
Carne asada with cilantro, onions, avocado. Refried beans.
Familiar, known to be tasty.

Faraway-ish Chinese joint
I don’t think? I’ve ever been, but some FB chatter responding to a post I made indicates they do good Mongolian beef.
At which the nearby place - while good at many other things - does not do how I like, so I’d like to find a “good” place.
Would hafta put on non-PJs, though, and it’s an unknown entity.

TX Roadhouse
Would also hafta put on non-PJs. Not as far as Culver’s, roughly near the Faraway-ish Chinese joint.
Known entity, would be delicious.
Twice in a week is more than a bit spendy.

Culver’s
Burgers. Butter. No need to put on “nice” pants, not spendy, but somewhat far-ish.

After years in survival mode, these stoopit First World Problems are awesome and I hope that the fact that they revolve around me deciding what to eat - instead of dealing with the fallout of not eating - is a good thing.

Be sure to tell the Westboro Bastards Church why, repeatedly. Make it a recurring donation and tell the Westboro Bastards that too.

Be sure to try their fish dinners during Lent~they have walleye, which I think is the tastiest freshwater fish offered in restaurants that mere mortals can afford. You have to get it early in Lent, before their limited supply runs out and another fish gets subbed in. I made the mistake last spring of waiting too long for my Culver’s fish dinner and missed out on the walleye. Don’t be me.

Happy we be! Hopefully that also means you’re now registered to vote too (many states do that automatically). ——-I just checked google, it thinks that since 2019 in Michigan new or renewed drivers license automatically register you to vote, unless you opted out of that. Let the fun begin! Probably means the election commission will be sending you something in the mail soon.

Truth. Never, ever, ever. Nothing good can come of it.

Anything with their ice cream is worth the drive. Every day of the month they roll out a special flavor of scooped ice cream, their soft serve is a favororite of mine, especial their ‘concretes’, which is their version of DQ ‘blizzards’-be serve to leave room for ice cream.

Helluva cloudburst about a half-hour ago. It was like a firehose for five or ten minutes. I was concerned for Wifey, RN since she was returning from seeing patients. About ten minutes after it ended, she came home safely. She said, ‘It was like movie rain!

Cats are fed. I’m making chicken stir-fry for us hoo-mons.

You could make it in the name of the Phelps family or WBC. :smiley:

That’s why I went from lanyards to yoyos. Lanyards always caught on the edge of my desk too.

swampy, the prayer beads are interesting.

JtC, when my dad took over the kitchen / food prep chores after Mom got too far gone to do much, he cleaned out the chest deep freezer. In ~2011, he found peaches in the bottem that were dated 1989. :open_mouth: Needless to sayhis compost bin got a bump up.

shoe, when I had cats, I used liners in the catboxes. Basically, I sifted every day and just removed litter, liner and all before trash went out. And, YAY for getting your DL!

Irked, came home, took Nelson out and et. Not much shakin’ at CasaRoja.

Stay safe and healthy y’all!