I just saw a shooting...

No kidding. I was shopping at a small plaza and while I was loading my packages into my truck I saw a guy in a tank top with a gun (about 30 feet away). He fired a few shots, (maybe 5 or so), paused for about 10 seconds, then shot a few more. Then he ran across the street and took off in a midsized car. I drove home (the police started arriving and I wasn’t sure what the deal was) then I called a police detective that I know and told him what I saw. At first I thought it was just someone goofing around (we don’t get a lot of shootings around here in broad daylight), but it turns out someone WAS shot, so the cops were pretty interested in my statement.
So is that friggin’ bizzare or what? No yelling, no screaming- nothing. Just pop pop pop…I’m a little freaked out still.

I know Daniel goes to Binghamton University (he said so in another thread) so he’ll probobly see this on the news. It was on the North Side (bad area).
Zette
(slightly freakin’)

A friend is someone who likes you even though you’re as ugly as a hat full of assholes.
Zettecity

Oooh girlfriend.

I’m glad you’re okay!

I saw a really nasty traffic accident once, right up close. The guy’s leg had been ripped off and he was bleeding from his ears.

You see something that violent up close and it seems unreal.

Men are from Mars, women are from Venus, dogs are from Pluto. - Anonymous

I think what’s weird is I didn’t really panic when it happened (even though it was close). Around here these things NEVER happen, and I really figured it was some kind of joke (at least that’s what my brain was saying- my body was smart and got down). By the time it really sunk in that it was real, I was home and safe. Totally freaky, though. I think I’ll stay away from that side of town. :frowning:

A friend is someone who likes you even though you’re as ugly as a hat full of assholes.
Zettecity

First and most important, I’ll echo the thought- I’m glad you’re OK.

Good job on the telephone call. What you think may be insignificant info may help to get this lunatic off the street.

I was almost shot AT while I lived in Brooklyn.

A roommate and myself got the munchies at 3AM and we took off to the White Castle. It’s a bit of a walk, like 20 minutes or so.

We eat, and we head back. We’re going down a street that is fairly industrial. We notice a guy running in the direction we’re going behind us. Don’t think much of it.

Guy runs past us and looks at us. He’s carrying a long cylindrical item. Everything happens fast, but the guy, while running, aims the item at us, then points it straight down the street.

BOOM Sparks fly everywhere. It’s a sawed-off.

I dive behind a dumpster, losing my roomate.

I wait a few minutes, yell, “Are you okay?” I head a voice, “Yeah!” Turns out he’s behind another dumpster next to the one I took refuge behind.

We regrouped, and continued to walk back like nothing happened.

Just another day in the big city…

Yer pal,
Satan

My brother got held up at gunpoint once. He made it ok (thank God), but he was devestated when the robber took his ring. It used to be my dad’s (I have the other one). He took it kinda hard for awhile. :frowning:

I’m really glad to hear that you’re OK.

You say “cheesy” like that’s a BAD thing.

Wow… scary stuff Zette… glad to hear you are okay!!! Amazing what you see on a hum drum outing

We are, each of us angels with only one wing;
and we can only fly by
embracing one another

This hasn’t been your week, has it Zette?
Glad to know you’re okay. Make Mr. Pampered take you someplace nice to offset the fright. (Do not go to any movies released this weekend!!)

If man was meant to fly faster than the speed of sound
he would have been born with 50,000 pounds of thrust.

Just a quick update…
The guy who got shot is dead. No suspects in custody yet. :frowning:
I’m totally freaked.

Zettecity

Dang Zette, missed the local news. It’ll be front page news for a while around here, now won’t it. Glad you’re okay. Cops seem to catch most of the murderers around here, let’s hope this one is no exception.

Miss Zette, Glad you’re OK! Hope your hubby realizes what a great wife he has and treats you tonight to every sweet thing needed to soothe those frazzled nerves. Whew !

Holy frick, Zette! How incredibly surreal! I, too, am glad you’re okay (minus the freakin’, that is), and also applaud you for sharing what you observed with the authorities.

Law and Order is a great TV show–if you’re not living it! Your description of events sounds like one of their opening scenarios. How truly bizarre.

Where was he shooting toward? A park? A building? The parking lot? Did you see any of the people in the direction he was shooting? Did he notice you? (Sorry, perhaps sharing all these details isn’t what you need…I am such a curious one.)

In any event, Zette, you take good care of yourself. I hope all comes out well/just for all involved in the end–if not for the victim, unfortunately.

I used to think the world was against me. Now I know better. Some of the smaller countries are neutral.

Laura’s Stuff and Things

Zette, first I’m so GLAD you’re okay and so sorry you had to go through that. Violence is awful and tragic enough when it’s at a distance; to witness it has to be awfully scary and unsettling.

(Anyone else here just have your already high
opinion of Pickman’s Model just ratchet up a few more notches?)

Cuddle w/ your stellar hubby and celebrate life.

I’m so glad you’re okay.
Veb

Well, to answer some questions:
First, no I don’t believe he saw me at all. I was in an adjacent parking lot, but kind of on a lower level (does that make sense?)
He was firing into a parking lot to my left, about 20 feet away. The lot he was firing into was blocked by a McDonalds, so I didn’t see the person he was shooting (thank God).
I did see him get away in his car, and apparently they’re looking for more then one person- there may have been more people in the car, but I couldn’t see them.

Thanks for all the encouraging words…it has been a hell of a week! I know for “big city” folks this stuff may not seem like a big deal, but this is only our second murder of the whole year around here. It just doesn’t happen, especially in broad daylight where someone else could have been shot.

Zettecity

sniff

Nobody’s glad I made it okay…*

sob

Oh, Satan…if it makes you feel any better, I’m so glad you’re OK that I posted a whole list of things I’de like to shove up your butt. (In the pit). Enjoy!

Zettecity

sniff
Nobody ever says what they’d like to shove up MY butt!
sob

(Zette: Glad to hear you’re okay. Weird, totally freaky.)

SanibelMan I have been laughing out loud at your post for like two minutes. If I pass out and hurt my head I’m going to sue you.

Nothing I write about any person or group should be applied to a larger group.

• Boris Badenov

Amen, glad you’re still posting from this universe.
Sanibel, that was good. OpalCat, take note.

JMcC, San Francisco
http://members.tripod.com/~weirdstuff/index.html
“Hear the voices in my head, I swear to God it sounds like they’re snoring”

made me giggle too… um, what am I supposed to take note of, and why?

As for the OP… yikes. That is scary :frowning: I saw someone running through a Walmart parking lot once with a crossbow, yelling at someone. I ran inside and still have no idea what was going on… it was like 2am and dark… but man… witnessing a murder is pretty heavy :frowning:

O p a l C a t
www.opalcat.com