I Pit Darren Garrison

If you take that quote to mean that I wouldn’t come to the aid of my neighbor in that situation, then it’s pretty obvious why you made such a bad cop. You ignored what I said I would do, and then made up more words to claim that I said something that I didn’t.

You asked if I would call the cops, I said I would call CPS. That’s what it had to do with it. Either you are bad at reading, or you just have a poor relationship with reality. In either case, glad you are no longer a cop.

I explained why I did not feel that cops are the best response to a domestic violence situation. You are free to disagree, but instead, you just lied like the piece of shit that you are.

Talk about strawmen. That’s just a pure lie made from whole cloth. Now, cops who lie like you do, those are cops that I don’t really like, but if we managed to get cops like you off the force, then people would feel much better about having them patrol their neighborhoods.

If anyone needs a cop, I hope that they don’t get one like you, as you will almost certainly make any situation worse.

Just remember, if someone does distrust or dislike cops, it is because of you and cops like you. You made the world a worse place in your time on the force, and you know it.

Cool cool, thanks for dropping by and telling us what a shitty person you are.

I have to admit that I do respect that you resigned from the force, that’s probably the greatest thing that you have ever done in your life to make this world a better place. Thank you for that, at least.

Now, back to the thread. Unfortunately, @Darren_Garrison hasn’t really done anything too pitworthy of late that I’ve seen, so nothing to add there. Hope he keeps it up, as sometimes, often even, he can actually be a useful and informative poster.

And he is amazingly skilled at macrophotography

I believe @Darren_Garrison can also pull off a beautiful pirouette.

Never mind.

He’s over in Cafe Society complaining that a black actress has a role in Sandman even though skin color isn’t a defining characteristic and the author was also involved with casting.

Oh, and then he claims to have made a name for himself for not being a racist.

Wow. That’s amazing.

I did not make that claim—I said that I thought it sad that (after being here as long as I have) that I get tarred with a vile accusation for simply wanting the character in the TV show to resemble the character in the comic. I did not say that she was a bad actor. I did not say she had no value as a human being. I said she does not look like a very, very, very pale Goth. That’s it.

I think a sign of good casting would tend to be if someone who is familiar with the characters in the source material is shown set photos for a series or movie, they recognize immediately who they are supposed to be. And if they have to be told, it tends to be a sign of bad casting. I don’t claim that to be universal, but a trend.

That means that the height, weight, age, sex, and yes the race of the person plays a role in the casting. And I don’t think in any sane world that equals racism.

And yes, the pale skin color is not only definitive but iconic of Sandman’s Death.

That seems pretty close to a claim for being known not to be racist.

As for the meat of your objections to this casting, I feel the writer(s) of the film will have no problem, if necessary, retconning the character’s appearance – fanwank cosplay aside.

I’m a fan of the Sandman comics and it doesn’t bother me at all.

Death has appeared in DC comics in multiple forms; as a pale goth woman, as a blonde woman, as a middle-aged man, in the “grim reaper” guise. He/she/it is an anthropomorphic personification of the concept of death, and can appear however she wants to.

When Lucifer got his own TV show, he didn’t look anything like he did in Sandman either.

I didn’t hear a huge outcry, and really, I greatly enjoyed the Tom Ellis version of the character. I liked him more than the version in the comics.

Lucifer in the new Netflix show is a lot closer to the original.

Either way, it doesn’t bother me when they cast a character that varies greatly from the original source. It’s an adaptation, not a carbon copy.

Let’s be honest; Sandman was a product of its times, and its human (or human-like) cast lacked diversity. Introducing diversity into this adaptation is a good thing, especially with Gaiman’s blessing.

And let me tell you this… Death was one of the most popular (if not the most popular) characters in Sandman, and overall one of the most popular characters in comics, period. It had absolutely nothing to do with her appearance, and everything to do with her cheerful attitude, interesting viewpoint on the end of life, and extreme compassion she had toward the souls she helped out. Her appearance is probably the least important attribute of the character.

Griping about her not being “pale” does make you look like an ass.

You telling me you wouldn’t know which character this was supposed to be?

If you say “Yes, I wouldn’t”, you’re a lying, racist shithead.

Getting someone as pale as comic-book Death would have been pretty hard anyway, I’d think.

I will admit that I had forgotten that all of the Endless were depicted as completely white, and not just Death. That would be a little weird to try to pull off in live-action.

You could do it with makeup. And you could put that makeup in a person of any race.

Oh, for Christ’s sake, you delicate flower. You said something racist. Get the fuck over yourself. If you don’t want to be criticized for saying racist shit, don’t say racist shit. And if the criticism comes, don’t fall over clutching your chest and calling for the authorities. Get a grip, you ridiculous toddler.

@Darren_Garrison I notice you avoided answering this question:

Hey, I’m sure Darren protested in equal amounts when Tilda Swinton was cast in Doctor Strange and will link us to his posts where he did so.

It was kind of a loaded question.

I don’t watch MCU movies and don’t read most Marvel comics that aren’t X-Men related, so I have no opinion on those castings. I can provide a ton of complaints about the casting for The Watch, though.

Oh, and if the web were around (much) in the early 1990s, I would be able to point out a ton of complaning from me about the casting of Tom Cruise as Lestat.