I Pit Darren Garrison

No, it’s not.

Because you could have answered “No”. The honest answer. So it’s hardly a “still beating your wife” question. Because no-one “familiar with the characters in the source material” would not recognize who someone dressed all in black with a tank top and an ankh is “supposed to be”.

Even if you didn’t like that Death was a Black woman, you would still have recognized her.

Of course, your avoidance is good as a “Yes” answer, you lying, racist shithead.

You can slander as much as you please. I know who I am. I know how I think. I know how I live. Slurs tossed by random strangers on the internet don’t change that at all. So have fun.

Sure, thats why you completely avoided posting in this pit thread :roll_eyes:

The other one, it has bells on, try that…

Here’s the problem, so do we.

You certainly don’t come across as someone with any experience in honest self-reflection. “I know how I think” is yet another of those statements that indicates its opposite. Folks who’ve actually examined how they think never feel the need to say so. You tell us that because you’re dimly aware that your behavior has convinced folks otherwise.

We only know you by what you post. We can’t see that you are kind to and really care about the Black kids you have locked up in your basement making “crafts”.

Darren just thinks it’s really important that Black people stay where he thinks they should. As long as they do that, he’s ok with them.

What L_H_o_D said. Any time you want to claim a positive quality, it’s usually best to state it in aspirational form. That way, if you express yourself in such a way as to cast doubt upon your assertion, you can blame clumsiness on your own part, and back off until you have been able to express yourself in a manner that doesn’t appear to contradict your claim.

Old Russian proverb: If six people tell you you’re drunk, go lay down.

Not really. Destiny and Destruction were caucasian. All of the Endless changed skins throughout the years. Dream was African in a flashback. Likewise, Death appeared as Chinese in a past life when she was allowed to be human for a day.

You’ve got to remember that Dream/Sandman first started over 30 years ago. It was ground-breaking for its time, but things change in 30 years. Goth life is not seen as counter-culture as it was in those days. Plus, all the casting decisions were done with Gaiman’s blessing. He’s certainly aware that an actor’s talent shouldn’t be disqualified because of physical characteristics.

Dream has shown up as various species of things over the course of the series (including the first arc!) and has been shown to appear to aliens as one of their own. The Endless appear to us as we want them to. In comics from the 90s, that was primarily going to be white. That was where the world was and that says more about the state of our society back then than author preferences. Any objections today (30 years later - a whole generation later) says more about the objectors than it does the people doing the casting.

And I’m sure the fact that the human guise we most often see in the comics happens to bear a striking resemblance to this pasty British writer who wears a lot of black and, likewise, the human guise we most often see for Death happens to bear a striking resemblance to this singer that the British writer happened to like is just a coincidence. :wink:

I have no problem with the casting. It’s a dumb argument that would have been dumb even back in the 90s. The show isn’t going to fail or succeed based on this casting. It’s going to fail or succeed because Gaiman himself isn’t the best judge of what works on screen and how to adapt his own work to live action. The later seasons of American Gods show that quite well. And that’s another show based on Gaiman’s work where there was some hullabaloo about casting and race before it aired yet had no impact on the show itself once it got going.

Death is not based on who you think she is. And I’ve never seen a resemblance.

Yep. In Sandman, Gaiman created some themes that he later refined and expanded on in American Gods and (come to think of it) Small Gods.

The idea is that human belief fuels the supernatural. An awful lot of the supernatural realm exists in the way we think it should exist. This is made explicit in his depiction of Hell, where Lucifer and his demons are giving the ‘damned’ souls exactly what they want. They believe Hell should be eternal torment, and so it is.

But it’s also true in the way the endless tend to take forms that reinforce the beliefs of the people they’re conversing with. When Dream is talking to an African queen, he appears as a noble African king. When he’s talking to a housecat, he appears as a big cat.

And so I choose to believe that the Death of the 90s appeared as a goth chick because that’s what Gaiman and the artists envisioned. It’s what they expected, and so that’s what it was. It wasn’t right or wrong. It’s just the nature of the Endless. And it’s absolutely in their nature to be different in 2022, because the world also different.

I’m other words, people need to get over themselves.

It is (deliberately?) inconsistent what the Endless are, exactly, but they are not American Gods-type gods, in that they are explicitly stated not to have anything to do with beliefs at all. (Or the supernatural!) For instance, Death simply “is Death”, and was therefore around when the first single-celled organism ate another one.

That does not help elucidate what it is supposed to mean for Death or Dream or Destiny or Time to look like anything in particular, or have adventures. I hear there is an annotated edition, but does he deconstruct his own mythology?

They’re definitely not American Gods gods, but you can see the seeds of those ideas. As you say, Death simply was, but not until there was something to die. Likewise for Dream. He didn’t manifest until there were creatures who could dream. And when he was imprisoned, the universe (or maybe the collective energy of all the sentient creatures in the universe) began to create a new version to take his place even while he was still alive in that glass jar.

Added a spoiler since we’re not in the Sandman thread.

Small Gods is Pratchett, not Gaiman. Though the two were friends, and doubtless got the idea from each other.

I assume he meant Good Omens?

Clearly the story means you to understand that Death appeared to the first single-celled organisms exactly as drawn in the comics, as a pale skinned Caucasian 1990s goth girl. (Except when she didn’t.) Because that is the only way that the story can be understood. And that’s the only way any adaptation can ever show it, even though adaptations necessarily must change a lot of things. The most important thing is that Death can’t be played by a black actor. That’s clearly the most important unalterable trait of the character. (Because otherwise my masturbation fantasy won’t work.) And Neil Gaiman himself would admit that except he doesn’t give a fuck about his own creations, or he is too scared to appear not woke. So, he probably does agree, but you have to look for the signs that show he is being prevented from saying what he really means. But even if he isn’t, what the true fans want should be what the studios pay attention to, because that’s the most important thing. Or else they are just pandering to everyone (everyone but the true fans who should be pandered to).

Amirite?

I didn’t. For some reason I thought that they’d also collaborated on Small Gods. I guess I noticed the thematic overlap at some point and some wires got crossed.

Yeah, just like when he didn’t cancel development on American Gods because Ricky Whittle was cast as Shadow Moon. Probably hated it but was too scared of what the fans would think. That’s why he needs real fans to tell the rest of us what he really means. God bless DG and all the good work he’s doing for TV casting!

This topic appears to have strayed more than a little from its original thesis: that the tendency of @Darren_Garrison to object to changing the appearance of many (if not most or all) comic or anime characters in live-action productions, based on racial differences, is a sign of (possibly underlying and personally unrecognized) racist tendencies.

Personally, I think it’s a huge blind spot for him based on perhaps too extensive focus and concentration on the specifics of those genres and also some unspoken assumptions that might be addressed by critical race theory. Full disclosure: I write this as a poster who does not like many aspects of the subject’s posts and posting style.