"If you elect Biden, he'll listen to the Scientists!"

Reagan was quoting Adams. Adams said “Facts are stubborn things. They cannot be altered by our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions.”

Yes, I was aware of Reagan’s real quote. But I’m one of those people who believes that “facts are stupid things” is a more accurate motto for the Reagan administration. Reagan delivered that speech in 1988 and he was claiming he had led an economic recovery in his eight years in office. Which wasn’t true; Reagan had simply created the illusion of a healthy economy by borrowing massive amounts of money. He papered over the problem rather than fixing it. Reagan’s government policies had embraced the idea of living in a make-believe world.

Trump Accuses New Zealand’s Prime Minister of Competently Handling the Coronavirus to Get Reelected

Speaking at a rally in Wisconsin, Trump called Ardern’s use of public-health measures to mitigate the impact of the coronavirus on her nation “a sleazy political move like you wouldn’t believe.”

“This woman wanted to get reëlected, so she decided to go after the coronavirus and beat it,” he said. “This woman is a disgrace.”

I wrote this in the Clusterfuck thread, but it goes well here:

When science is outlawed, only outlaws will have science.

ETA:

. . . and you don’t want THAT to happen! :roll_eyes:

The only conclusion I can draw from this is that Trump does not want to get reelected.

You guys realize that the article was satire uh? Or I’m being whooshed?

In contrast, Trump decides his best strategy is to court the Coronavirus vote (someone told him that viruses vote, and there are lots of them), thereby killing off as many voters as possible. But in a stunning mis-fire the likes of which only Trump can do, he mostly kills off would-be Republican voters.

What? Andy Borowitz writes satire? Who knew?

< sarcasm>

No, we don’t realize this at all. It is decidedly plausibly Trumpian.

I got that it was satire, but his real-life statements (like Biden will listen to the scientists!) are so off the wall that it can be hard to tell.

" People say satire is dead. It’s not dead; it’s alive and living in the White House.”

― Robin Williams

Yeah I know, it is kinda sad that when one is in a message board that looks for accuracy that we can’t have a nice rumor against an enemy going for weeks or even years. [Looks frowning against several members that swallow conspiracy fodder and post it here.] :unamused:

:slightly_smiling_face:

In the Pit, all things are possible.

Vote the Lex Luthor/Victor von Doom ticket for 2020!

We’re Evil, but we have Science!

Hell, at this point, I’d vote for the Doofenschmirtz/Evil ticket over what we have now.

Count me in! Where do I sign up?

BTW: This reminds me: Remember Acting AG Matthew Whitaker? An absolute precise image of Lex Luthor! ( Photo. )

He was quoting The Dungeonmaster.

Come on man, you know it would have been because it would have disturbed the luminiferous æther!

That doesn’t answer why Savage chose to adopt the slogan. It’s at odds with his general promotion of the scientific method.

It was a joke.

I understand it’s a joke. But it’s not an ironic joke.