Ilhan Omar can fuck right off

Dude, just last night someone on my FB posted a meme: “Uh oh, Dems favorite savior criticized their other favorite savior (Obama). I’m gonna break out my popcorn to watch them tear each other apart over this one”

My response to this dolt was: “Unlike Trump supporters, Dems understand Obama isn’t perfect. I’m afraid you not in for much of a show”

Thanks for proving me wrong SlackerInc. SMH

Exactly. Slacker, you continue to be a racist idiot.

She didn’t “talk shit” about Obama, you toddler. You’re just incapable of having an adult conversation about the broad flaws in our political system, such that even a talented and well meaning president like Obama was unable to overcome them.

You’re like a toddler listening on an adult conversation about how mommy hasn’t been able to overcome the red tape at the agency she works for. All the toddler can process is that a mean man is saying mean things about mommy.

This is just beyond you, quite clearly. It was meant for adults capable of nuanced thought. Best for you to shrug and put it aside, since you’re clearly incapable of understanding it, just as you’d put aside a detailed treatise on human frailty written in Swahili.

Struck out, eh? :stuck_out_tongue: And now you’re taking your ball and going home. Kbye.

But you have leveled a serious charge at me, one that I find sickening. So even if you have peaced out, for anyone else that might be reading and wondering if your accusation has merit, I pulled up some quotes from 2016. If I’m only pretending to be a Democrat, I’ve been operating under the most bizarrely pointless and time-consuming deep cover ever.

Let’s start with February, in the thick of primary season:

That was in response to Rigamarole, who apparently then nursed a grudge about it for nearly nine months, as s/he PMed me to wave it in my face after Trump won. :smack:
April:

On July 27, I wrote a broadside against Trump in a thread that’s now closed, so I can’t do a regular reply quote. But I’ll link and manually quote it. This is actually the post I found last; if I had found it first, I might have just stuck with posting only this. There is no plausible world where someone pretending to be a Democrat but secretly trying to get Trump elected would post something like this. It’s not necessary to establish bonafides, and it (IMO) pretty effectively denounces and discredits Trump to any wavering voter who might happen across it:
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=19511768&postcount=3044

Aug. 10, mocking Trump:

Aug. 13:

Sept. 20:

On Halloween, AnalogSignal and I had a back-and-forth after I linked to a photo (no longer available, sadly) of my Halloween costume:

Nov. 1, in response to Jragon’s post about how warm and caring Hillary is:

On Election Day:

My terrible prediction in the Prediction Thread:

Just after the election:

This next one was upon learning that Sheriff Joe Arpaio had been defeated for reelection:

In response to a post from doorhinge, kicking Hillary when she was down, claiming “even Hillary supporters don’t like her”:

My reply to the aforementioned Rigamarole, who was gloating over Hillary’s loss despite (or because of?) having been a Bernie supporter:

I was actually a little shocked by one thing I hadn’t remembered saying. I guess I was reeling in the wake of the shock of Trump’s election:

:smack: “Maybe it’s time to give the left wing of the party a turn”? Nonononono. I plead temporary insanity and retract this suggestion!

NVM
The troll doth protest too much, methinks.

I stand by what I said. Yes, her words are going to be twisted, but she has to understand that. She’s a target. That might not be fair, but welcome to the world of national politics in 2019. She needs to have the humility to accept that she needs some help, and if she doesn’t, she’ll be a one-termer.

Tina Nguyen in Vanity Fair isn’t buying this damage-control PR spin any more than I am:

Neither are Tim Alberta at POLITICO, Nate Silver at 538, or Ashley Feinberg at HuffPo:

But they’re all idiots, unable to see what is so plain to all of you, right? :rolleyes:

No, they have relatively nuanced takes, and nuanced disagreements, about a nuanced criticism, rather than your knee-jerk toddler-esque “oh no she smacked Obama!!” silliness.

You’re just incapable of this sort of nuanced understanding. All you can do is cry like a toddler. Positively Trumpian, in a way – an inability to have a real adult conversation about challenging topics.

If you said “I disagree with what Omar is saying, because I think Obama actually did a great job with XYZ etc.”, with some real and nuanced discussion, then I wouldn’t be calling you a whiny toddler. But that’s not what you did.

Okay? Maybe she feels like the way she can serve her country best is speak what she sees as hard truths as loudly as she can for the two years she’s given. She didn’t hide who she was during the election–she was elected by people who wanted a super-progressive voice. Why on earth are you tsk-tsking her? It’s incredibly condescending, like she’s a rash child who doesn’t understand the implications of her actions. This reads like concern-trolling.

Actually, Slacker’s anger reminds me a lot of what we see from dalej42 (who I believe, on at least one front would also be considered a jackass by many here). It’s the kind of anger you typically don’t see from someone unless they have put in hard work on behalf of a political party and they feel their party is being undermined by something. A normal person like me looks at what Omar said and the worst I might assume is she is armchair quarterbacking, naively making some foreign intervention dilemmas faced by presidents seem as though they had a moral calculus the consequences of which were transparent to them, etc. But that part of the message overall seems to me a caution about being naive.

Yes, precisely. It’s not “cool” to be a loyal party guy these days (maybe it never was, but it REALLY isn’t now), but that’s what I am.

No, it’s not cool to be a knee-jerk, nuance-free toddler. Party loyalty is absolutely fine.

A political party is simply a group of people with roughly similar ideas of the proper methods and goals of governance. It is not healthy to take it as a definition of yourself as a person.

Your definition of what parties are about is definitely what people who like to feel all hip and ideologically pure subscribe to.

So a democrat saying “I think Obama was wrong–tragically wrong–when he okay’d drone attacks that quite predictably lead to the death of civilians, including children, and that they should have found another way” is MORE IMMORAL to you than the actual act of accepting the death of children as the cost of doing business?

I am extraordinarily torn about the use of drones. But I can’t imagine taking the position that even discussing the moral ambiguity of those actions makes you a traitor to the party who should be run out on a rail.

It’s like bombing Japan: maybe it had to be done, but we should never stop questioning and talking about it, we should never forget that it was a horrific act. If we stigmatize that discussion, if we ostracize those who take the position that it was too horrific to justify, we are starting down the path to where we normalize those sorts of actions and start making those choices when there are other options.

Okay, you’re torn about it. I’m not, but I respect that you’re grappling with the issue. That’s not what Omar is doing here. She’s spouting the same line I hear constantly from my uber-lefty mother, from various too-cool-for-school lefty friends, and (sadly) increasingly from my 19 year old son. No nuance, just Chomskyesque vicious attacks on Democrats, on the U.S. as a supposed unadulterated force for evil in the world, and more broadly on the West. Never an unkind word, it seems, for any non-Western countries, oddly enough. I have no patience for any of that, and it has no place in the Democratic Party.

Bullshit. You’re just an ignorant racist toddler, either lying about what she said, or incapable of understanding nuanced, adult criticism.

I’m tempted to say Andy is Exhibit A. But actually he’s not, because the lefties I’m talking about are annoyed that Omar is trying to walk this back, annoyed that she is now claiming that she was misquoted and actually lurves Obama. Andy, by contrast, is flacking for her PR spin all the way. Weird.

What a shame. If you had even a quarter of the intellectual capacity that you claim you do, you’d love the opportunity for some nuanced discussion on complicated political issues and how the Democratic party should govern going forward. But you don’t have this capacity. You’re a racist, ignorant toddler, too stupid for even a shred of self-awareness.

Go ahead, Andy. Give us all the benefit of your wisdom. How should the Democratic Party govern going forward? The floor is yours: I’m sure you have some fantastically thoughtful and nuanced prescriptions to share with us.