I'm Afraid For My Daughter

2018 has been a very bad year for my family on multiple fronts (2013-2017 weren’t so great either), but it’s my oldest daughter (18) that keeps me up at night. I don’t normally air personal problems to anyone (preferring to keep the mood light), but I feel a need to vent and do so anonymously. Even if no one reads this (it’s long and not exactly holiday-festive), just writing it gives relief.

Oldest daughter: Pam
Youngest daughter: Kim
Not their real names

[dialogue is as accurate as I recall, though obviously paraphrased]

The Good:
Pam popped out of the uterus full bore. After I cut her umbilical cord, she just kept accelerating through life.

A few months after she started kindergarten, her teacher visited me at my home and said, *“your daughter’s gifted. I know all the signs, because I myself have a gifted daughter. She doesn’t solve problems the way you’re supposed to solve problems … but, she always gets the right answer. She’s too young to be tested, but I recommend that she get tested as soon as she can.” *

Pam got tested a couple years later. I was called in to meet with her teacher, principal and the district superintendent. “Your daughter scored higher than anyone in our county, ever. She needs to be on the gifted-track.” She’s been on that track ever since.

Her scholastic achievements have been stellar: straight As, 1st place in science fairs, math contests and most recently, art contests.

I didn’t see the art thing coming until she made a new friend who was, by all accounts, a gifted young artist—mainly anime. Pam’s initial artwork was crude, but showed potential. She said, “Jill’s a better artist than me.” She didn’t say it with any any envy, she sounded proud of her friend’s talent.

Within a year Pam’s talent eclipsed that of her friend’s, significantly. She now takes classes at art school after HS classes 2 days a week and also works part time at Taco Bell. When she has time (I don’t know how she finds any time with her self-imposed schedule) she sells some of her artwork for good money. She uses a variety of media. Much of her art is disturbing.

Pam’s not all school and no play. She did well (though not stellar) on the swim team, soccer team and softball team. Neither girl stuck with piano lessons, much to my chagrin.

She’s not a nerd. She hangs around with troublemakers and gets into trouble herself on occasion. And, she drives like a maniac. She barely passed the driving part of her drivers test. The instructor said, “your daughter’s got a heavy lead foot.” She’s acquired a couple speeding tickets already. Her sister and I white-knuckled it whenever we’re in the car with her. She won’t slow down.

She’s very loving and compassionate. Loves animals. Vegan. Turned her younger sister vegan. Still trying to turn me vegan. She lectures me constantly and shows documentaries on animal cruelty and meat processing plant horrors.

She’s hyper-sensitive, but hides it with a tough exterior. She loves to debate intelligent people on any number of deep subjects. She does so passionately, not aggressively. I don’t recall the last time she lost a debate. Perhaps she never did.

She’s got a razor-sharp wit. I’m pretty sarcastic, but I can’t compete with her.

To top it off, she’s physically attractive. I’m not just speaking as a proud, delusional father—the girl could be a model. She turns heads and has no shortage of guys who want to be her boyfriend (she usually picks the bad ones, though).

Sounds almost perfect doesn’t she? Kind of like like a fairy tale story. But, it’s not.

The Bad:
Pam started cutting herself at age 11 (“it makes me feel comfortable, dad. I can’t stop”). Her psychologist reported that she’s had suicidal ideation since age 12. I was scared to wake her for school for years, crossing my fingers every time I opened her bedroom door.

She was later diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. She’s got a good psychiatrist, psychologist and case worker. She takes psychotropic medication.

She is and has always been very close to her sister and I. She and her sister fought like cats and dogs since Kim took her first steps in diapers, but they’ve always had each other’s back. Now that they don’t live together, they’re closer than ever, texting and calling each other constantly.

Pam felt the weight of too many bad influences in her life and pleaded with me to let her move, at least temporarily, in with “family” who live in a town she really likes, ~1000 miles away. I was devastated to see her go, but I gave her permission to move when she was 16. She’s built a new life for herself and new friends and now she’s pleading for Kim and I to move to her town. I would if I could. But, at least she comes back to stay with us holidays and vacations.

Pam’s on top of the world 98% of the time. It’s the other 2% where things go to hell.

She attempted suicide twice over the past 18 months and nearly succeeded the second time. Her psychologist said it wasn’t a plea for help or a drama show—she really wanted to end her life. She spent weeks each time in a psychiatric hospital. When the depression lifted, she drove the doctors crazy debating with them. “Your daughter’s exceptionally bright and she loves to argue with us”, said one doc. “Yeah, tell me about it”, said I. He replied, “She even tells us how best to treat her and she’s pretty spot on. She’s almost convinced me to stop eating meat, too.”

Pam calls her sister and I often, sometimes at 3am, and we talk for hours. She called as soon as she got phone privileges from the hospital after her second attempt. She didn’t wallow in self pity (which would be expected). She simply said, “I’m sorry, dad.” The haunting way she said it broke my heart. And, then, *“Sometimes, I just don’t want to be alive.” *

I told her, “you have nothing to be sorry for. You’ve got a disorder that can be successfully treated and controlled. You’ve just got to learn ways to ride out the dark moments.”

She called again after she was discharged and I asked her what triggers her suicidal thoughts.
She said, “it’s because, I’m not perfect.”
“Nobody’s perfect. Strive for happiness, not perfection. Perfection isn’t obtainable, by anyone. You can be happy, though and that’s what life should be about”
“I won’t be happy unless I’m perfect. If I see an artist more talented than me, I get depressed. If I see anyone do anything better than me, I get depressed. I can’t help it.”

No one in Pam’s life put undue pressure on her to succeed. She has always exceeded all of our expectations. Her drive for perfection is internal; it’s innate; it’s unrealistic, but she can’t shake it.

A few months ago, she admitted herself into the hospital because she felt suicidal once again. At least that’s a glimmer of hope and progress. To me it means she recognized pending depression and took steps to prevent it before hitting rock bottom and acting on the compulsion. When she’s not depressed, she loves life and she lives it large.

I flew Kim out to be with her sister last week for the holidays. We talk daily and they are both in very high spirits!
Kim: “I’m having a great time, dad. But, Pam’s driving me crazy and she still drives too fast.”
Pam: “I’ve got too many cats (3), I’m giving one to Kim to take home, OK?”
Me: *“Nooo!” *

Hearing my daughters laugh and joke around is my Christmas present. I’m happy when they’re happy. I wish it could always be that way, but I’ll always be scared when I get a call from an unknown number from Pam’s area code.

BPD is a horrible thing to be afflicted with. I’d do anything to rid my daughter of it.

Even though I have no children, I was a troubled kid myself, although in different ways. It’s very painful to see your children go through something and you can’t solve it.

Hugs to you. Vent all you want.

My god, I’m so sorry you have to deal with this. I’m even sorrier that Pam is in hell, even a fraction of the time. But it’s brutal to watch your child hurt and not be able to fix it.

Mental illness is difficult on all as I’m learning late in the game with my soon to be ex wife of 25 years. My sympathies to your daughter(s) and you.

I’m not understanding moving in with a “family” a thousand miles away and how that is helpful? Don’t feel like you need to share but it doesn’t compute for me.

That’s terrible; I’ve know all sorts of legitimately crazy people, but BPD is something else entirely. I believe what underlies it is an inability to form bonds with anyone - if that’s the case I can’t even imagine the suffering. I’m not an expert so I could be 100% wrong.

So sorry. I have a young daughter ( nearing 20) who has pressured herself for years. She’s not diagnosed but I see signs she struggles sometimes to be her perfect self. It’s a deep rabbit hole. I wish you and your girls luck and hopefulness for the new year. You didn’t mention her Mother. I noticed.

My son wrestles with similar issues. I am so sorry that your daughter is going through this. It sounds like you are doing all you can. Do you know if she is following her treatment plan? My son has increased issues when he skips medication, for example.

Again, my sympathies. It is horrible to be powerless while your children struggle with such pain.

No problem. I didn’t elaborate because it’s a little complicated. But, I’m wide awake, so let me explain:

I put “family” in quotes because it’s not biological family, but family none-the-less. The girls had a live-in nanny when they were young. The nanny (let’s call her Sue) is the daughter of a family friend from another state. Sue moved in with us when she was a young teenager and lived with us for ~6 years. She is a wonderful girl and was particularly close to Pam. She was like Pam’s big sister.

Sue moved back to her hometown, got married and has kids of her own. Pam became over-stressed by friends who took advantage of her, a boyfriend who deceived her and a mother with whom she has a very toxic relationship. She felt she needed to leave town and the person she wanted to live near was her “big sister.” It’s not that she wanted to be 1000 miles away, it’s just that Sue lives that far away. She moved in with Sue’s parents. Now she lives on her own (with 2 roommates and 3 cats).

Their mother abandoned the family when the girls were young. She had nothing to do with the girls for years when they wanted a mother. In recent years she’s butted back into their lives when they don’t want a mother.

Do you get a discount at Taco Bell?

Wow. I can’t imagine having to deal with a situation this complex.

Not in this state. But, they let Pam make veggie tacos for herself. They don’t sound too good to me, but she loves them.

I appreciate everyone’s concern and I’m sorry for those of you facing similar situations.

Is Pam doing Dialectical Behavior Therapy? My understanding is that this can be really helpful for BPD. It’s a type of Cognitive Behavior Therapy. If I understand correctly, it would address that “I can’t help it” statement.

Your daughters sound like amazing young women. It looks like you are doing your absolute best for them, too. Sorry you are all going through this. Mental illness is a bitch. I agree with you that maybe progress is being made, it’s a long hard battle.

I re-watched A Beautiful Mind last night. Assuming the film bears some relation to reality (and I believe it does), John Nash was able to overcome his demons/delusions through rational thought and determination (and professional help, and a loving family/friends). I believe Pam can do the same. The very best of luck to all of you.

I’m so sorry. It’s a terrible thing to watch your child struggle and be unable to wish it all away.

Wishing you all the best.

I don’t have anything to offer immediately, but just an anecdote that might give you hope.

My roommate in college suffered from BPD. To be honest, she still suffers from it, as it’s a life-long thing. There were some tremendously rocky years, self-harm, suicide attempts, hospitalizations… all the stuff you’re either going through or fear. But she did get her doctorate-level degree, she has a successful career, is much more stable emotionally and mentally than she used to be (no suicide/self-harm for a couple decades that I know about), financially well set - in fact, she’s now taking care of her mother and sibling, she’s the “normal” and successful one in the family now.

She doesn’t have romantic relationships. But she is at peace with that. She does have friendships (obviously - we still get in touch every few years) but she isn’t really close to anyone that I know about.

She is actually a lot like your daughter - tremendously intelligent, attractive… but convinced she is somehow rotting inside.

Bottom line - it IS possible to have a good life even with BPD. It is possible to gain some control over this. The fact your daughter accepts she has this diagnosis means she’s made more progress than most with the disorder. There is hope. I don’t want to sugar-coat anything, there is still a long, painful road ahead but there is hope.

Broomstick’s post reminds me of a college friend too, who struggled for years seeking help before she got an accurate diagnosis followed by effective treatment — BPD, yes, but also together with cPTSD. Apparently an uncommon combination, but her treatment has her stabilized.

This describes that college friend too. She went on to get a Ph.D. and become a university professor at a large, nationally-recognizable major university. She was high functioning, highly intelligent and talented (musically gifted too), but convinced she was worthless inside.

I never dated her but we were good friends in college and we remain friends to this day. We talk pretty regularly — I check in a few times each month. She is married to a good guy who understands the deal.

Tibby, I do feel your pain. May your daughter get the help she needs.

My mother’s sister combines BPD, bipolar and PTSD. Unlike your daughter, she had Parents From Hell, which accounts for much of the PTSD (you haven’t sexually assaulted your daughters, have you? OK, good. And you’re not paranoid either? OK, OK, that’s definitely nice).

One thing I wish I’d known a couple of years back is that one of the key traits of BPD appears to be the inability to think a deal is good if it’s offered by someone else; both my aunt and her daughter are incapable of understanding that it’s possible to win without cheating, or for a deal or a piece of advice to actually be good as offered. My aunt doesn’t even believe recipes as given (yes, making a cheese omelette really needs only those ingredients… what? well, because if it’s got more ingredients it’s not a cheese omelette!) That may be behind your daughter’s insistence in telling her doctors what to do: if she’s like my aunt, when they say “you’ve got a cold, take this and make sure to drink lots of fluids” she goes into distrust mode and starts picking the information apart to search for the nonexistent trap, whereas if it’s her who says “I’ve got a cold: give me a scrip for this and I’m going to make sure I drink lots of fluids” that’s OK and everything is right with the world.

Another vote for DBT. My daughter has been working on it (she self harms). It has been a big help. I am so sorry this is happening to you daughter. :frowning: