"I'm gonna live forever" says my grandpa

So I’m starting to think my grandfather is one of those Highlander-type immortals. Because he keeps surviving medical crises.

Back in his sixties he had a heart attack, and had a quadruple bypass. 40% of his heart tissue conked out, and they said he had the most severe heart attack you can have without requiring a heart transplant. Even still, when he had the heart attack, things were grim- he only had a one in ten chance of surviving. Well, he did. The bypass, using vein(s?) from his leg, was suppsed to last twelve years.

He lived long enough for the veins they used in the bypass to start to fail “Figure the damn thing breaks after the warranty is up” he says. He has to go in for another operation. He is eighty years old at this point. He pulls through, recovers, still able to walk around and be active- lives in the same home he spent nearly half a century in around sunset boulevard in San Francisco with my uncle.

Recently he had to have another operation to repair an aortic aneurism. He is 84. The operation takes much longer, due to complications, but it is a success. I saw him recovering in a nursing home and he seemed quite spry for a guy who had to have a bunch of wire snaked up his arteries a few days prior. When marveling at how well he’s doing, he tells me “I’m gonna live forever” :smiley:

I’m very grateful my grandfather is still with us. Medical science has let him enjoy the marvels of the 21st century. Which is why, this weekend, I am going to do something I should’ve done more in my adultdhood- drive up to San Francisco and visit him, not for any particular reason, but to spend some quality time. Because if there’s one thing I know he REALLY loves at this point in his life, it is that simply ‘hanging out’ with family, not really having to do much (or even talk about anything particularly important). I told him I’d come by and visit him and his eyes lit up; I might as well told him he just won a million dollars :cool:

I’m gonna live forever
I’m gonna learn how to fly
High

I feel it coming together
People will see me and cry
Fame

I made my dad promise that he would live forever after the horrendous pain of losing my mother at a relatively young age. I intend to hold him to it too.

“So I’m indestructible.”
“Oh no quite the opposite. Even the slightest breeze could-”
“-Indestructible!”

Baby, remember his name!

Awww, That is wonderful. I miss my Grandparents. I work with the elderly and I just got one of my clients a refrigerator magnet that says, “I’m going to live to be 100”. She is 89 and and my other client is 99 and I think she will make 100. I love to get them to talk about how things were in the old days. I find it very interesting. Have fun!

I’m betting he is getting his cutting done by UCSF. They are very damn good perfectionists.

Forgotten classic: Lesley Gores’ “Immortality”

“I don’t want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve it through not dying.”

• Woody Allen

My grandpa was immortal.

He survived three heart attacks and a triple bypass.

In his early 80’s he got cancer, and beat it. The doctors told him two years. He replied, “At my age a promise of next Tuesday is more than you expect.”

He still lived on his own at 90, in his home. He would hunt and butcher his own meat (he was a butcher by trade). He’d send me venison sausages. When he met my husband for the first time, before we were engaged, Grandpa told him that he’d better treat me right or else. My husband’s got almost a foot and 80lbs on Grandpa, and said to me later, “You know, I actually believe he could inflict some serious ‘else’ on me.”

He got pneumonia and broke a rib coughing. My parents called me with “this could be it”. I called him in the hospital and he sounded spry as ever, yacking, coughing, cursing, and apologizing for cursing. He told me his nurse was a dish. He was home in three days.

From the time I was a kid, my father told me how important it was for me to go see him, for this “Could be his last Christmas.” My Dad said that for 20 years. He learned to use a computer and was on IM. Last year he was telling me he was thinking about joining Facebook, of all things. He was wounded in WWII, and after discharge went back to volunteer with the USO. We didn’t even know he’d been shot until we found his Purple Heart by accident in a closet after my grandmother died. We didn’t find his Bronze Star until after he was gone. He was five feet tall and full of spitfire. He still shaved every day with a straight razor. He called me after the market crashed to tell me tales of the depression. He wrote his memoirs (which are fascinating).

Then one morning this June, my Dad called me to tell me he was gone. The wake filled the largest room in the funeral home, and at one point the viewing line was literally out to the sidewalk. I met so many different people who knew him and loved him, all with different stories to tell. Nowadays we still tell stories about him, all the time. It’s a kind of immortality, I suppose. I can still hear his voice when I read his book. But I still miss him.

Go see your Grandpa.

Your grandfather is Hob Gadling?

I was gonna ask Incubus “Michelle, is that you?” except for the San Fran/Southern Indiana disparity.

A local friend’s grampa is 90- goes to work for an insurance company every day that health & weather permit (and that’s close to every day). He had a couple fainting spells the past year but has bounced right back. After his last checkup when my friend asked him what the Dr. said his response was “He said I’m gonna live forever!”

By God, I hope he does. I never have met him yet but my friend adores him & I adore her.

My grandmother is 86. She was one of those children who always got sick. Since then, she survived typhus, a couple years in Auschwitz, a death march, and a recent mastectomy. After WWII she was told by a doctor that she would never have children, due to the abuse she had suffered. She has 2 children, 7 grandchildren, and 10 great-grandchildren. She still lives by herself and spends most of her time cooking.
It’s too soon to tell if she’s immortal, but if she is, no one will be surprised.