I'm sorry Dex, but we were having fun.

You were thinking he had to be from Ecuador or Somalia?

Maybe he means he’s been depolarized.

Marley, you’re not playing Kathy Bates to my James Caan, are you?

An American getting snotty about Czech beer? Thats as absurd as, say, nonpolar being made a mod…

In 1939, when the Nazis invaded, the Poles charged the Wermacht’s tanks with honest to god horse cavalry. Very few of them survived to tell the tale. It’s hard to joke about courage of that magnitude.

[Shatner]CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNN!!![/Shatner]
Err, no, sorry. I’m straight, taken, and never really developed a taste for hacking people’s limbs off.

Poland is one of the apparently dozens of countries I have ancestors from, so let me just say that if you can’t find humor in attacking tanks with horses, I feel sorry for you. :wink:

I don’t think the horses found it amusing.

Okay, so I’m a horse owner who’s humor-impaired on certain topics. Including this beating a dead horse cliche – can’t you all just give it a rest? Must you go on flogging that weary metaphor till it drops in harness and expires? :mad:

Well what about the racial tension amongst you people? I have nothing against horses of different colors, but I wouldn’t want my donkey to mate with one.

Didn’t happen. It’s a well debunked myth. I’ll find some links when I get home if nobody beats me to it.

In that case, is it OK to laugh about it again? :wink:

Everything is OK to laugh about but it stems from nazi propaganda playing on racist ideas of Polack stupidity. They wanted people to laugh.

Myth.

More.

And yet now it appeals to the kind of people who venerate hopeless courage, making the Polish people who were said to have made the charge into heroes of the highest sort.

The American tendancy to root for the underdog and glorify the lost cause turned a racial slur into an inspirational story of courage. It’s fascinating how legends can mutate across time and culture.

Poland at that time was a big producer of vodka ,maybe they drank to much?

Poles drink to everything. Indeed, there is much they drink to.

GD&R :smiley:

Yeah! you right, I drink bottle of vodka a day ,that is way my posts are almost always about sex,penises .
So it is not my fault you see, that God damn fire water got me.

I sorta disagree, and so do your cites. Certainly, the shorthand that I employeed (and as it is generally stated)“Charging tanks with cavalry” is rooted in the myth, but the fact that Polish cavalry troopers did fight against vastly superior German units-as did Polish infantry, armored, and other units, is certainly true. Take the incident which seems to be the basis for the myth, a cavalry unit suprised by an armored unit. They didn’t surrender, they fought. And died. As they must have know would happen. Warsaw didn’t fall until Sept. 27, finally surcombing to overwealing forces, fucking France, by comparison, with an army larger than Germany’s, barely lasted 40.

Don’t forget about British Expeditionary Army based in France,with 200.000 soldiers ,excellent planes ,artillery and tanks, on first sight of German tanks run scared back to England.
I personally, from thay moment lost all respect for British Armed Forces.
English soldiers and generals were very good 500 years ago when they fought that “witch” :wink: Joan D’Arc in France.

Na zdrowie and sto lat to you!

So it was just the hots you had for the Romanian then :D. I was 50% right :smiley: