Indiana Jones and The Lost City of Gold (?) Possible SPOILERS

Thought about this before posting a link because it may be an unethical dissmeination of privileged information. If it is, I apologize, and understand if it is closed or the link removed.

The guy who started this thread on a TrekBBS works in some compacity in entertainment marketing or something. He has long been a fount of info over there regarding upcoming movies. I can vouch (as do many posters in the thread) that his “Batman Begins” stuff was spot on.

Anyway he claims to have read a treatment (an “overview”) of the upcoming Indiana Jones film.

If he is correct again as he has always been, then there be SPOILERS here:

http://www.trekbbs.com/threads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=7994212&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

Sir Rhosis

I’m gonna take it with a grain of salt. And I certainly hope it isn’t true: Indy’s only really good when he’s fighting Nazis, so I was hoping it would take place in South America with an Inca treasure and lots of refugee former Nazis to be the bad guys (I’ll bet Ian McKellen could play the hell out of Mengele :stuck_out_tongue: ).

Sampiro, I like your idea beter than what this guy says is the plot, actually.

I too remain skeptical, although, as I said, he has been right way ahead of time in the past.

Sir Rhosis

Various drafts of the script have been available to a lot of people over the last few years, as they got written. I believe that the latest version that they’re actually shooting has many elements from some of those drafts, but also several more that won’t be widely known.

For example, at least one draft included Indy’s son and Marion Ravenwood, and this was often mentioned by various websites, but it wasn’t until Shia LeBeouf and Karen Allen were officially announced that anyone knew for sure they were going to be in the final film.

I haven’t read the link, I don’t want to be even potentially spoiled, but it’s likely that what he’s describing is based on an existing draft of the script, just not necessarily the current shooting draft.

^^^Speaking of which: If anybody here quotes anything from that thread, please put it in SPOILER CODE.

Sir Rhosis

I too have seen a draft floating around that incorporates a lot of the elements in that guy’s posts. I wouldn’t be all that surprised if the final film turns out something like that, although I think I share his opinion of the ending.

One possible error or flaw in the plot this guy is proposing is when he said that

“Shia LaBeouf’s character, Mutt Williams, tracks down Indy in New Heaven, Connecticut, at Marshall College.” I know that the producers spent about an week filming in New Haven (it was big news there). Of course the newspapers and television news mentioned that Harrison Ford was in town but none of the articles mentioned Shia LaBeouf (I think he was doing publicity for Transformers that week). It is possible that they filmed his “Marshall College” scenes back in LA.

A pity that Sean Connery wouldn’t resume his role; he said he was tempted but he’s enjoying retirement.
(The rumor I’ve heard is they’re going to have the late playwright cum character actor Michael V. Gazzo play the role written for Connery, playing Indie’s other father who you never heard of before and killing off the elder Professor Jones with a passing statement and Gazzo’s black armband.)

So they’re going to rip the title of the movie from an H. Rider Haggard novel? That doesn’t speak well for the amount of thought they’ve put into this.

Oh well…at least it doesn’t feature the excreble Mrs. Steven Spielberg.

Stranger

^^^It’s one of five titles that have been floated as the eventual title of the film. Read the list somewhere. One was something like “IJ & The City of Crystals” or “… Crystal Gods.”

Sir Rhosis

Possible titles, possibly not the titles:

INDIANA JONES AND THE FOURTH CORNER OF THE EARTH
INDIANA JONES AND THE QUEST FOR THE COVENANT
INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL
INDIANA JONES AND THE LOST CITY OF GOLD
INDIANA JONES AND THE CITY OF GODS (most commonly accepted title)
INDIANA JONES AND THE DESTROYER OF WORLDS

Interestingly, this is very similar to the name of an Indiana Jones-themed attraction at Tokyo DisneySea.

http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/tds/english/7port/lostriver/atrc_indiana.html

Hmm. That’s close to what I wanted to see the film be, except for the ending, so it might not suck after all. However, I would pay real money to see this idea for the film made![spoiler]Let me guess…INDY finds a long-lost half-brother, and they go to see God, who lives at the center of the Universe (i.e. New York, Empire State building, 42nd floor). God appears to them as a big blue head inside a flashlight beam:

GOD: “How did you reach the 42nd floor?”

INDY BRO: “In an elevator!”

GOD: Then I will use this elevator to spead my power through the universe!!"

INDY BRO: “It will be your chariot!”

INDY: “Excuse me…what does God need with an Elevator?”

GOD: “Bring the Elevator closer…”

INDY: “I said: WHAT DOES GOD NEED WITH AN ELEVATOR?!”

You know the rest…[/spoiler]:smiley:

The titles are just registered at the Patent’s office, so they may not be for the movie at all, and are instead intended for ancillary products, like games, books, comics, and apparently Japanese theme parks.

I saw that post on the forum and didn’t get it… and I still don’t get it. :frowning:

It’s a reference to Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, in which we find that Spock has a previously unknown brother, who hijacks the Enterprise and takes it to a planet where God lives. God says that he needs the Enterprise to leave the planet, and the quoted dialog occurs, with Indy substituted for Kirk, and elevator for starship

I could have sworn I read somewhere that the plot would involve the Roswell incident… and Nazis, and nuclear weapons. And Shia LeBeouf being a Fonzie-esque greaser.

If that were true, it has the potential to be either terribly awesome or awesomely terrible.