Interesting theories you've heard

I was talking to a friend the other day about what constitutes a “lifestyle” as in the “gay lifestyle”. This triggered him into giving me his theories on homosexuality. He says he believes gays are born that way. OK so far, that’s what I beleive, too. Then the fun begins. He believes that bi-sexual people are the “most fucked up” people around and they will take advantage of anyone, anytime in order to “convert” them into being homosexuals. I didn’t buy that one. True, when certain people are not in control of their faculties (drunk, on drugs, etc) that have been known to do things they claim they wouldn’t do when in control. He didn’t buy THAT. I said that if a guy performed a “homosexual” act while inebriated, he probably has had those inclinations, but has never acted upon them because of fear, guilt, and who knows what else. No sale. He even cited a story by Brian May of Queen who supposedly said that Freddy Mercury was “forced into” homosexuality and subsequently contracted AIDS. (sorry, I don’t know where he heard that story)

On another subject, he seems to think that there wouldn’t be anything wrong with a 30 year-old man wanting to have a relationship with a 15 year old girl under certain circumstances. I did not agree. Maybe 100 years ago, but not now. I think that by the time a man is 30, he SHOULD be reasoanbly mature enough to seek out partners close to his own age. I asked my friend to reverse the situation: a 30 year-old woman and a 15 year-old boy. He said that wasn’t right. I asked why. He said, “It’s just not”. WTF?

He recently broke up with a woman who had, um, trust issues. She told him that you could love a person and NOT trust them. She had been burned many times before and, perhaps this is why she feels this way. He said you could never entirely trust someone you truly loved. I sort of agreed, but added that if trust is that big an issue, maybe you shouldn’t get into ANY relationship.

Any psychology-types want to analyze this?

Also, share your interesting theories.

I personally don’t see anything wrong with a 30-year-old (of either gender) wanting a relationship with a 15-year-old (of either gender) under certain circumstances. But otherwise I pretty much agree that your friend has some odd ideas.

Here’s a theory I once heard:
“Women have always been the primary victims of war. Women lose their husbands, their fathers, their sons in combat.”

That delightful bit of logic is courtesy of Hillary Clinton, First Ladies’ Conference on Domestic Violence in San Salvador, El Salvador on Nov. 17, 1998.