Is anything an acceptable risk for you but not your spouse/children? What is it? Why?

No long setup here, but a few definitions.

1. For the purpose of this thread, spouse means “monogamous, long-term, no-set-expiration-date partner, regardless of gender or legal status.”
  2. Likewise, child includes stepchildren and adopted children as well as biological offspring, so long as you consider them yours.
  3. There’s probably something else I should list as a criterion but I can’t remember what it was. Ah well.

And now I’ll reiterate the thread question. Can you think of any activities which you would consider doing yourself but judge so unacceptably risky for your spouse or children that you would strongly urge or even try to forbid them from engaging in? If so, what is it, and why is it okay for you to do but not the other person?

No poll. No reason there isn’t one.

I don’t think there’s anything I’d consider forbidding my spouse to do. She’s an adult and an make her own decisions.

There are perhaps neighborhoods I would suggest she not walk through alone at night where I might because: a) I’m more familiar with them than she is, and; b) she’d make a much more likely target than I would for ne’er-do-wells.

I forbid my wife and kids from doing things all the time. It doesn’t stop them.

I’m a risk taker. (Measured risks usually, but that’s just a way to make sure I can survive to take the insane type risks). I don’t think it’s a good idea for anyone, including myself to take substantial risks, but it doesn’t stop me, and I doubt my objections would stop anyone else from taking theirs. But I’ll warn someone if I think they’re taking a risk that could end up having a major undesirable impact on their life. And then they’ll probably ignore me and do it anyway.

Power tools.
Launching our boat.
Swinging an ax.
Scary noises in the night.

My husband doesn’t like me to go places alone (though of course I did before we got married). He doesn’t want me to go for walks after dark, and he also doesn’t want me to walk the dog alone (admittedly, she is a handful). He’s gotten a bit better about this stuff, although he does still get on my nerves sometimes.