Is Deadpool a particularly popular character?

He is s one trick pony

Thanks for recommending Dead Presidents. I picked it up yesterday and had a great laugh.

I was amazed that they remembered the Dr. Strange/Clea/Ben Franklin love triangle from 40 years ago. That was Steve Englehart’s last storyline for the series.

I do, on the grounds that I paid cover price for his debut in The New Mutants, put the comic in a box for some years, then took it out and sold it for well over $100. I’m a fan of Cable for similar reasons.

So, has anyone seen the movie?

Just got home from watching it. Hilarious, going to watch it again asap.

Saw it last night. It’s good. The humor’s good, and the action scenes are great. The fourth wall stuff works really well, and there’s a ton of in jokes about comic book movies in general, and the X franchise in particular. It’s also arguably tied in to the MCU, despite the rights bullshit that’s keeping the two franchises separate:

The main villain’s lair is a ruined helicarrier. Helicarriers, so far as I’m aware, have never been shown in an X movie, suggesting (but not stating) that this film takes place after the events of The Winter Soldier.

My chief complaint is that the plot is thin. The movie spends way too much time in an extended flashback to Deadpool’s origin, and there really isn’t much of a second act. It feels a bit more like a proof of concept for the character - or possibly to see how a hard R superhero movie sells. I’m definately in the tank for the sequel.

The one thing I think other superhero movies need to take away from this film is the CGI work on Deadpool’s mask. Being able to see recognizably human emotions on the mask itself really sells the character, and it something that I hope gets copied more widely - for Spider-Man, in particular.

Unless i completely missed something that looked like a perfectly normal air craft carrier to me, nothing heli about it.

Looks like I might have been mistaken.

I thought I saw turbines on it. But comparing it to a pic of a “real” helicarrier, what I saw would have been way too small to be one of the turbines.

Wishful thinking, I guess.

Posehn was on “@Midnight” last night, with Kevin Smith. Chris Hardwick was nerdgasming the whole show.

Never heard of him until recently when I saw the trailer for the Ryan Reynolds movie. Seemed like kind of a joke character, I’m surprised it is an actual superhero with a comic history.

Just saw it and enjoyed it a bunch. Cute and goofy (and extremely violent) fun.

Well, I know what I’m watching tonight.

I really enjoyed it, especially since I was really worried it could veer too far in Daniel Way’s Deadpool territory (when the character lost his gravitas and just became fart joke-level). There’s still a lot of low-brow humor, to be sure, but also lots of smart humor and plenty of good action.

I agree with Miller that the flashbacks dragged on a bit too long, and because of it there’s no real middle act, but those are minor complaints. Also really happy to see it so tied into the X-franchise.

He’s an actual comic book joke character. :stuck_out_tongue:

My son tried to by tickets for a date (she wanted to see it) at the local multiplex and it was sold out for tonight (Saturday).

Hmm - $90million?

That’s likely for the 3-day weekend, possibly $110M with President’s Day.

Yeah, I expect we’ll hear about big numbers for the weekend. I went last night and the theater I got to is known to be sparsely attended, plus it was snowing which keeps KYians off the roads in droves, and Deadpool was almost sold out - we were stuck in the front row. It had to do well in more populous areas.

It’s a fun film and takes full advantage of the R rating (the year-long sexcapades of Wade and Vanessa). To me, the big surprise was Bacarrin(sp?), who had better on-screen chemistry with Reynolds than anyone I’ve seen her act with. And the sulky Megasonic was a nice counteragent to Wade’s manic persona.