Is it time to start planning for 4 more years of Trump?

What are we going to do? Another impeachment attempt? This is like a nightmare.

I just watched Biden flub through a speech, and the polls are looking worse. I’m worried.

You could always just say, “Well, the people have spoken,” and accept it. Like the founders intended.

The founders also put impeachment there for a reason.

According to preeminent Hamilton biographer Ron Chernow, Hamilton was trying to protect the country from someone with demagogic tendencies. “From the outset, Hamilton feared an unholy trinity of traits in a future president — ambition, avarice and vanity,” Chernow wrote last month in The Washington Post .

He points to one of Hamilton’s writings in 1792 where the Treasury secretary warns about someone who might exhibit those inclinations, and Chernow argues that it sounds a lot like the current occupant of the Oval Office:

“When a man unprincipled in private life[,] desperate in his fortune, bold in his temper . . . despotic in his ordinary demeanour — known to have scoffed in private at the principles of liberty — when such a man is seen to mount the hobby horse of popularity — to join in the cry of danger to liberty — to take every opportunity of embarrassing the General Government & bringing it under suspicion — to flatter and fall in with all the non sense of the zealots of the day — It may justly be suspected that his object is to throw things into confusion that he may ‘ride the storm and direct the whirlwind.’”

No election result is guaranteed anyway. It’d be pretty foolish to not do something you’d otherwise do just on the expectation of a certain result.

If you want the best possible data-based prediction, follow Nate Silver. If you want to panic, then panic, but that panic isn’t based on any data right now. Trump might win, or hopefully he won’t, but there’s no reason to be more than slightly confident one way or the other at this point.

The Electoral College doesn’t have much to do with “the people” speaking.

I don’t think Biden flubbed the speech. Perhaps the OP was watching another one.

As for planning, I’m already on the record as being ready to resist 4 more years of Trump. As they say, you should always hope for the best, prepare for the worst,.

I hope Biden wins, but we should also prepare for the grifter in chief’s further efforts to undermine democracy, foreign relations, Human rights and other items in the USA.

The people elect the delegates. Yes, the EC is slightly skewed to give smaller states a louder voice.

In general, you are correct. But the state legislatures have the ability to substitute their judgement for that of the voters, as Florida was poised to do in 2000.

I assume you mean electors, not delegates. But it’s not “slightly skewed” – it’s overwhelmingly skewed, and not just to small states, but to swing states. Voters in CA, TX, and NY, pretty much don’t matter when it comes to electing the President. Voters in NH, OH, FL, WI, and a few other states matter immensely. That’s not remotely fair or democratic. Every American should have the exact same voting influence in Presidential elections. Anything less is undemocratic.

Could someone link to the speech that has the OP in a tizzy?

OP, weren’t you not actually voting for Biden?

I think it’s easy to get into a state of despair right now with all that is going on in the world and our country. It’s easy to get cynical and to want to protect one’s expectations from getting wrecked (again). Last time all the data people kept assuring that Clinton was in the lead in the polls. We saw how things worked out.

Take a deep breath and a few steps back and look at the differences between the Clinton and the Biden campaign and the various factions of voters. It’s a different ballgame this time around. While not confident in a Biden victory by any means, I still like his chances given support from a wide range of voters, and even some Republicans this time.

OTOH Trump has been emboldened and buoyed by installing henchmen in specific positions in government and industry to enable outright cheating in order to win this time, so there is that to contend with.

Overall, it is still up in the air at this point so do not get worked-up about it. There are other matters going that more directly impact each of us every day.

As for the polls, even after ferocious stupid attempts at blaming Biden for the unrests, they have really changed just a bit in Trump’s favor, but Trump was already in a big hole. He still has a lot do if he hopes to get out of it.

The founders also kept human beings as slaves. Maybe they aren’t such great role models after all.

Roll a six-sided die. Did you get a one or two? Trump wins!

@discobot, roll a 1d6

ETA: Oh well, that didn’t work.

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

I’m not in a tizzy over it.I shouldn’t have said he flubbed the speech as if it was all a disaster, but there were times he flubbed.

I was initially not going to vote for Biden, and put in a ‘write in’, but I brought it up in Straight Dope to hear what others had to say about it, and have changed my mind.

OK, which speech did he have some flubs in?

Um…
I don’t know, it was live about 45 minutes ago.