Jewish Lesbian Wedding

I know, I know, band name. In any case, this isn’t meant to be a Great Debate. I’m just wondering if queers here consider getting hitched.

I’ve been invited to a Jewish lesbian wedding. It’s an old high school friend of mine - in fact, the one who dragged me kicking and screaming out of the closet at the tender age of 15, and the only woman I’ve ever slept with (that’s another story). I’m not sure if I’ll be going (logistical and financial reasons), but it will, in fact, be a religious thing, with two days of shabbat followed by the ceremony the next day.

This got me to thinking: one day, when I find Mr. scott evil, do I want to actually get married? At this rate, same-sex marriage will be legal in Canada by the time I actually find someone worth settling down with. I’m not a religious person, so there would be none of that, but certainly a civil ceremony with all the legal crap, then maybe a fantastic party.

The reason I’d have the civil ceremony would be to make it legal, of course.

Nonetheless, I have a bit of an aversion to the idea of having a party with my family & friends there. I think it could be just… well, tacky. I guess it will depend on how I feel about it at the time, but right now, I’d rather just sign some papers.

So the question goes out to SDMB queers: what’s your plan, and what are your opinions on the subject? If you’re the type who thinks you’ll never settle down, you’ll probably change that idea as you get older (IMHO). I certainly did. :slight_smile:

• s.e.

lets hear the other story!

Is the wedding being catered,

or is it a Lesbian Pot-Luck?

To be honest, I am that one rebellious girl who was NEVER GONNA GET MARRIED. I didn’t want to get married when I was 5, I didn’t want to get married when I was 13, and I don’t want to get married now that I’m 19. When I first came out, I was a bit put off by the assumption that I was now supposed to be “fighting for my right to get married.” But… I don’t want to get married, I’d say.

I suppose if I did change my mind, I’d have to talk it over with my future wife first :wink: but ideally, my wedding would be justice of the peace (no church wedding, no way, no how). Gods, I don’t want to go through a reception. I can’t possibly imagine one being fun in any way.

I am not wearing a dress, and I refuse to take more than a month or two to plan the event. :wink:

Probably some vegan thing. :rolleyes:

• s.e.

Daowajan, you’re young yet. Your feelings are still very likely to change with time.

I was also one of those who swore they would never get married. I met someone I love and wanted to spend the rest of my life with. I married her.
Now, I’m not saying marriage is appropriate for everyone. Chances are, if you ever have a really serious relationship, you’ll want to marry that person.
Marriage isn’t about love. It’s about ceremony and declaring publicly that love and commitment to each other.

I really don’t think you want to hear it, nor do I particularly feel like re-living it.

• s.e.

If it’s lesbian potluck, make sure you eat before you go :eek:

This thread title could only be improved by one word: **Midget ** Jewish Lesbian Wedding. :smiley: