Jupiter's Legacy (Netflix) [Spoilers after first post]

The complete first season of Jupiter’s Legacy has dropped yesterday. The story follows the emergence of the ‘second generation’ of superheroes, mostly (?) the children of the first generation, who gained superpowers back in the thirties, and focuses on the trials of living up to the ideals set up by the parent generation.

I’ve seen the first two episodes so far, and while I’m not entirely without reservations, I’ll definitely watch the rest, too; but I wanted to start a thread for some on-going discussion about the series. Since it’s always a bit difficult with whole-season dumps, as everybody is going to watch at their own pace and thus, will be at a different point in the series, I’d propose that we each state the last episode watched at the beginning of a post, keep general (non-spoilery) discussion open (liked/disliked the episode, etc), and spoiler-tag important plot points. That way, everybody can decide whether to engage with posts further along than they are, and nobody gets spoiled on important plot points accidentally.

If the thread goes on long enough, we can probably dispense with spoilers eventually.

Up to episode 2:

I’ve been a bit underwhelmed by the generational struggle, to be honest; it all seems a bit cliched. Oh no, daddy wasn’t there for me, because he had to go off save the world! It feels like a bit of forced drama to me. Lots of kids grow up with absent parents, single working mothers and whatnot—at least your parents are widely beloved around the world, instead of treated like garbage while working shit jobs.

I’m also not quite sure about the central conflict that’s being set up.

So Utopian’s son, Paragon, kills the supervillain Blackstar (or his clone/doppelganger/whatever), after the latter had been mopping the floor with the entire… uhm, Justice Union? I forgot the name. Three heroes had already been killed, and he seemed about to ‘go nuclear’, which would’ve killed the rest of them and taken out ‘half the state’. Paragon, who’d earlier failed to effectively engage a woman in a robot suit, one-punch kills Blackstar, bashing his face in, seemingly at the last second.

This is a breach of ‘the Code’ which the earlier generation of superheroes had set up, which apparently includes a strict ‘no killing, for no reason, not ever’-rule. This is equated with ‘no justice through executions without due process’—which strikes me as a sound principle. But it’s a far cry from ‘no killing’; indeed, virtually every legal code includes provisions for self-defense, and since Paragon (and potentially hundreds, if not thousands, of others) would’ve been killed, and no other option seemed at all forthcoming, that would seem like good grounds for self-defense.

Now, one could maybe argue, that superheroes, with their superior abilities, ought to be subject to stricter rules. And I think that’s a good point; police, etc., are not subject to the same rules as civilians when it comes to the application of force. But in the given case, all of the people involved were superpowered; indeed, Blackstar’s powers seemed to dwarf anything the combined Union could throw at him. So if the Code says, no killing even if that’s the last resort to prevent you and others from certain death, then well, the Code’s just stupid—and with that, all the drama regarding whether one should hold up the Code or if it should be changed to account for a changing world evaporates: yeah, change the Code.

The trouble with this is that it could’ve been easily avoided. Have things be just a little more ambiguous; have Paragon act rashly, rather than out of an obviously last-resort desperation; establish that there might be another potential way to resolve the situation without resorting to lethal action. Then, we could still set up the conflict, but have it be driven by actually sensible moral considerations, rather than just by ‘that’s the Code because Utopian says it is, and not following it is bad’.

Wow, I guess I had more to say about this than I thought…

Watched the whole series last night. No spoilers if you’ve already seen the first two episodes.

I’m with HMHW on the cliched daddy issues. The daughter is flat out unlikable.

I’m also not a fan of ALL life is precious trope. Atomic guy or whatever his name is was going to take out half the state if Paragon didn’t take him out. And daddy wants to bitch? Gimme a damn break.

Loved the back story. And in my opinion, the show gets progressively better with each episode.

Looking forward to Volume 2.

I’ve watched the first 4 episodes. So far it’s kept my interest, and the special effects are decent. I’d rank it as less interesting than The Boys or Invincible, but more interesting than The Umbrella Academy (which didn’t really hook me in).

Parts of it have kind of seemed like a knock off of Kingdom Come (e.g. Superman pulling a big plow, kids of superheroes, “back in my day things were simpler”).

Watched the first couple, it’s interesting enough to keep watching but the whole “better to let heroes and innocents die than to kill a supervillian” code is utterly insane and it should have been an issue a long time before now.

Yes, the effects looked cheap on the trailer and that turned me off. Do they look better during the actual show or have I been spoiled by Marvel?

I thought the effects looked much better than the Netflix Marvel tv shows (e.g. Iron Fist or Jessica Jones), but not as good as a recent Marvel movie.

All in all, I thought it was good but not great. I’m a little disappointed that they don’t wrap up many plotlines by the end of the series and the 1929 segments were easily my least favourite parts (and as an aside, I’m pretty sure no one would refer to a financial “meltdown” in 1929).

I’ve watched the first 3 episodes and each one gets better.

I agree with everyone about the stupid code being stupid. I also agree about it being like Kingdom Come.

Having read the comics I think both the main story and back story gets better as they go on.

Meltdown was coined in 1956 to specifically refer to a nuclear incident if that’s what you mean.

Binge-Watched it this weekend.

1. Its a so-so family drama. Unyielding father, with sympathetic mother, drug-addicted kid, and wishy-washy son yearning for individuality. We’ve seen it a dozen times.
  2. Its an OK superhero movie. Decent content. Decent storylines. Dips into the reality of being a superhero and a person, but not to the extent of Invincible.
  3. TRULY FRICKIN’ AWESOME 1920’S CTHULHU ADVENTURE GAME. LOVED this aspect of it, and wasn’t expecting it. You could almost see the characters forming, one of each stereotype in the game, six players and a GM. REALLY excellent descent into madness, and the characters around him.

I loved this show because of the 1920’s stuff. It’s going to be hard to keep me interested in Season 2 if they don’t have this awesome stuff still going on.

Up to Episode 5. Liking it a lot so far.

I seem to be in a minority that likes the Chloe B-story. Some nice beats to it, and liked the shoutout/subversion of Action Comics #1 at the photoshoot

And the Depression-era story is good and I’m curious how it’s going to end up. So there’s still a couple of people who need to join their trip, if I counted right.

How does it compare to Sky High, the very under-rated teen movie, and to me the best exposition of ‘being the super-hero child of super-heroes sucks’ I have ever seen?

I think I would have liked the 1929 segments better if they hadn’t been cut up into flashbacks where we essentially know the end result. (And if they had been a little more careful to avoid anachronistic dialogue, but that’s just the nitpicker in me.)

They are very, very different takes on it.

So far, the theme of Legacy hasn’t been that being the superhero kid of superheroes sucks. It’s that being the kid of Paragon, specifically, sucks.

I fully agree.

Sky High remains one of my favorite movies. Its light, has a good message and is vastly entertaining (except for the baby end, in my opinion). However, it doesn’t go into the realities of being a super-heros’ kid.

If you want something like that, check out Invincible on Amazon Prime. Warning - its bloody and graphic in places, but its an amazing look at having a super-hero parent, and in developing your own powers. Its absolutely great storytelling.

Thanks for responses on Sky High and the recommendation for Invincible. I’ll stop hijacking the thread now.

So some questions:
Does Chloe not have a codename? Her brother’s is Paragon but no one calls her anything but The Utopian’s Daughter, best I can tell?

Was it ever explained why the original heroes waited so long to have kids? They all appear to have waited until the 1990s, based on the age of all the young heroes.

Was it ever explained where all the other powered people came from? I originally thought everyone with powers was descended from them over the years, then I realized all their children appear too young to have adult kids, much less grandkids.

No. She’s never been a superhero, so apparently doesn’t need one.

Nope.

Nope.

The only hint on how the others got their powers was when the big “light blast” thingy happened for The Six, it looks like the guys on the boat had some sort of response to the light. It might mean that the power-blast changed all those in its radius, with lessening effects like throwing a rock in a pond.

Its just my guess.