Kim and Kanye on Vogue - why the furor?

Can someone explain the Vogue aspect? I’ve never given it a second glance, assuming it was Cosmo for semi-adults who like picture books. How far off is that assumption? Even if it were very influential in the pretty dress department, does it go beyond that at all?

I am sorry, but I am at the complete different end of that spectrum.

I would rather listen to Gilbert Godfrey and Joan Rivers sing the National Anthem on repeat for a week than listen to one of Kayne’s songs.

And the man compared himself to God. Sounds like he has hit his head too many times.

I guess you’ve forgotten the 2009 VMA’s, brickbacon? When Taylor Swift was giving her acceptance speech, Kanye ran on the stage, grabbed the microphone, and said Beyonce should’ve gotten it?

What a prince. :rolleyes:

Are you fucking kidding me? I like and respect Kanye West more than most people, but the man should not open his mouth in public.

Cite.

Anyway, I can’t figure out why anyone’s upset they’re on the cover of Vogue. I would also posit that their celebrity status, while spuriously earned, is far greater than SMG’s, who has, how shall we say, a reputation.

The long and short is that people thnk vogue is classy and that Kim is not. It’s not like Vogue hasn’t had people who don’t influence fashion on the cover. People like Tina Fey, Kirsten Dunst, Hope Solo, Katy Perry, and Lena Dunham just to name a few. NOt taking away from their talents, but none of those people strike me as particularly fashion conscious or influence.

But speaking as objectively as you can about something subjective like musical taste, you are just flat out wrong. You can find people who hate the Beatles or Garth Brooks or Prince or Jay-Z, but most fair people who have to admit they are extremely talented and gifted performers. To deny West’s talent is like saying any of the above. You can personally dislike his music, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t great.

And the God thing wasn’t meant literally.

Of someone who likes her privacy?

Classless? Yes. Does doing that rise to him being the biggest asshole on the planet? Hardly?

As I said, he has said things that are objectively false, but that doesn’t mean he’s retarded. Sadly, the AIDS conspiracy thing is fairly common, and the government’s abhorrent behavior during those early periods only fueled much of this false speculation. And let’s be honest here. He is just stating his ill informed opinion. It’s not like he is telling people not to wear condoms or to fuck babies to cure the disease. His ignorance is mostly just hurting his credibility.

kudos to the photographer who got her ass and his ego in a frame shot.

I think it’s rather difficult to deny Kanye’s talent musically, if looked at from a dispassionate perspective. The guy’s body of work is incredible. Too bad his public persona is so obnoxious.

I believe they had to invent a new wide angle lens to accomplish the feat. NASA was involved.

Despite what you think of his “amazing talent”, I don’t agree. Period. And I am pretty open to listening to a wide variety of artists and find appreciation for those that I don’t necessarily like. But Kanye? I couldn’t find one thing that I appreciate besides the quiet at the end of the track.

Thank you for your meaningful input. You should find someone to help you get out from under that rock which has you trapped.

I do not read People, watch TMZ or similar pop culture sources, and I know far too much about both Kim and Kayne. Even simply reading the SD keeps me ‘informed’. In this country, it is virtually impossible not to know at least who they are.

They didn’t say THE biggest. The quote was ONE OF the biggest. He certainly qualifies for the finals, at any rate.

It sort of does. CrazyCatLady wasn’t giving him a DSM diagnosis, she was using it as an insult. Stating objectively false things is not something to be proud of.

Where do you think the people that DO believe fucking babies will cure AIDS get that idea? From “retards” like Kayne, who are all just stating their ill-formed opinions. The only difference is the degree of ignorance, not the ignorance itself.

Then you don’t need to post in here. Don’t threadshit again.

Indeed.

And yeah, one can say that Kim Kardashian is merely a reality ‘star’ who later had a sex tape released and isn’t all that interesting herself, and that she really is only interesting because she’s married to a musical genius who has a tendency to say really messed up things because he has no filter - but that’s why BOTH Kim and Kanye were on the cover.

Did you see the Devil Wears Prada? It was written by a former assistant to Anna Wintour. The Miranda Priestly character is supposedly based on Wintour.

Aside from her alleged personal flaws, Wintour has spent the last forty years building a public persona of being an aesthete of the highest standards. She has built her reputation - and Vogue’s as well - of cultivating the very best of taste and style. Kanye and Kim leave such a bad taste in people’s mouths, and this cover is such an obviously naked attempt to move product, that some people -especially those who’ve been buying Wintour’s schtick - see it as a betrayal of the aesthetic principals which she’s claimed to revere.

Since when has being a successful pop star been a reliable indicator of intellectual rigor?

My understanding is that those who like his music feel it demonstrates a level of self-awareness and discernment regarding his fame and behavior that is not evident if one only goes by interviews. I wouldn’t know, I listened to like one and a half of his songs.

Like the OP, I wondered about the furor. On reflection, I suspect it is part of the process by which those two became famous in the first place. EVERYTHING has a furor about it, generated by their PR machine. And now, we are part of it.

Sometimes people write novels and they just be so wordy and so self-absorbed. I am not a fan of books. I would never want a book’s autograph. I am a proud non-reader of books.

.~ Kanye West