LADope 2003 - MUST READ THIS!

Hey - everyone coming out to LADope this Saturday!

READ THIS AND PASS IT ON, PLEASE!

I just got a call from the banquet manager at Marie Callendars. Apparently with the number of people we have coming (over 15 people), we have to submit to their whim of three menu items (what they have the most stock of that particular evening). And we have to guarantee them a certain number of people! This means:

1. If you don’t like the menu choices, you’re screwed.

2. If not enough people show up, cadolphin and I are screwed! Yep, we have to guarantee it!

3. I know there was something I was supposed to write here – dang, I can’t remember…something about a feline semi-precious stone?

So it comes down to I told Maries we can’t do it. Now comes the hard part - finding another place on such short notice for dinner for 40-50 people.

I’ll try to find another place on such short notice - can anyone in the area help me?

PLEASE?

I’m doing my best to search the web for a place but so far no luck…

Well, crap.

It’s been a long time since I’ve lived in LA, and I can honestly say I never had to plan for a dinner out for that many people.

I can see it now - LA Dope 2003 - BYOBB (Bring Your Own Brown Bag)

I’m so sorry that you two have to do so much for this, but I do appreciate it!

Maybe this website can help: http://losangeles.citysearch.com/

Tom Bergin’s is an Irish pubby place with a restaurant in it.

I know the Formosa Cafe has a back room, but I don’t know the policies on large groups and it is a little far away, maybe 3 miles.

La Gondola is an Italian place down the street, but I’ve never been there, but they might be able to seat that many. Again I don’t know their capacity.

There is a Shakey’s Pizza Joint right down the street also! :smiley:

That’s all I can think of right now, email me some criteria such as distance and cost and I’ll see if I can think of anything else, not that I know anything about feeding that many people, I just know the area, finally here are restaurants that Yahoo says are close by.

GOT ONE - hold on for details - it’s a little farther than Marie’s - but on short notice, these people were VERY accommodating and seemed very happy to have us as customers.

If you could keep it in walking distance, High Priestess and I would appreciate it. We are taking the bus out.

WHEW! Found a place that would take us on such short notice. The restaurant is 15 minutes away and our reservation is for 5:30. Ask for the Wayman party. Here is the new info:
Ye Olde King’s Head
116 Santa Monica Blvd.
(cross street 2nd)
15 minutes travel time, according to Mapquest.

Here’s the map.

The good thing about this? When we’re done, we can always (weather permitting) go down to the Santa Monica Pier and imbibe in the arcade atmosphere. Ferris wheel, carnival rides, arcades, it’s all there. Let’s have some fun!

I tried VERY hard to get it within walking distance, but I struck out.

We already have someone riding with us, so we only have room for 1 more in our car.

Would anyone else be willing to jump in and give High Priestess and ava a ride?
Can I start breathing again???

Oh, sure I can. Nothing else is going to go wrong!
PARTY PARTY PARTY

R-R-R-R-R

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Ye Olde King’s Head has the best fish’n’chips I’ve ever had. They’re my favourite. I can also vouch for the bangers’n’mash. Heloise had some really snacky-looking BBQ ribs there. And if the pier isn’t your style, there’s the Third Street Promenade.

Parking is available on 2nd Street. I think it’s about five bucks or so. (Or free, if you’re on a motorcycle.)

I’m easy about food, so I’m not too worried. Also, since Rico and Cadolphin are giving me a lift, I’ll take whatever you guys decide.

Well crap! Now I can’t stumble home drunk after dinner anymore! :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh well. I suppose good fish ‘n’ chips are a fair trade off. See you all there!

Since I’m coming up by myself, I’ll have room for about 3 (4 if you’re tiny or real friendly) in my car. I’ll be happy to shuttle people from the museum to the restaurant.

Yay! The King’s Head! I remember hearing about this before, so it will be nice to go and try it out.

I’ve got room for 3 to 4 in my car also. We’ll assign seats at the Museum.

Kaf, thank you for your suggestions! I tried them… I loved the sound of Tom Bergin’s (I’m thinking that will have to be a place we’ll try at a later date… maybe if anyone wants to get together sometime in the next few months …drop us an email dolphin3456@hotmail.com and we’ll do it) but couldn’t get in there or anywhere near there.

Confession: I didn’t call Shakey’s Pizza but Rico and I did discuss that as kinda a last resort. I did check the weather to see if it would be an option if we had to go to KFC and take it to the park. LOL

AND, thank you to everyone who posted suggestions when we were looking for ideas in the beginning!

I went back and pulled up the old threads and checked on all the places that were suggested. When ya’ll were saying where you had been to previously, I had looked at those places on the internet. Ye Olde King’s Head stuck out in my mind as a great looking place.

After three hours of calling the places around the Pitts still left us without a place to eat, I looked up the place that had stuck out so much in my mind. and YAY, they could take us.

You can’t miss us - Rico is 6’ 6" with a head of thick gray hair and a beard who will be holding a sign that will say SDMB and CAdolphin is a spunky overweight 5’2" redhead who will be handing out nametags with the StraightDope Logo on them.

If you want to see what we look like before you get there tomorrow, here’s a link to our homepage so you can see our pictures and maybe recognize us from that (we’ve both gained some weight since getting married… lol…and I’ve gone from blonde to red but you’ll get the idea) [Our homepage](http://www.wayman.us /index.html)

The vital stats:

When: Saturday, March 8, 2003
Time: 3 PM:
Place: **We will meet in front of **Page Museum at the La Brea Tar Pits

We are planning on being there early…abt 2:30

Museum Parking:

$6.00 with Page Museum validation (Page Museum parking lot only)
$8.00 without Page Museum validation

Page Museum at the La Brea Tar Pits
5801 Wilshire Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90036
(323) 934-PAGE (7243)

Admission Prices:

Adults: $6.00
Seniors 62 and older and Students with I.D.: $3.50
Children 5-12 years old: $2.00
Members and Children under 5: Free

Hours:

• Monday through Friday, 9:30 am to 5:00 pm
  • Saturday & Sunday, 10:00 am to 5:00 pm

When the Pits close at 5:00pm we will adjourn to:

Ye Olde King’s Head
116 Santa Monica Blvd.
Santa Monica, California 90401

Tele: (310) 451-1402

Our reservations are at 5:30 pm and are under our name so ask for The Wayman Party.

Johnny L.A. provided this info above:

When Rico spoke with the restaurant they said: average per person price is $12.00 not including any adult beverage you would care to order. The most expensive thing on the menu is $19.95 for a steak.

If you go to the restaurant’s page, they include a menu.

Directions from Page Museum at the La Brea Tar Pits to Ye Olde King’s Head provided by mapquest:

1: Start out going West on WILSHIRE BLVD toward S STANLEY AVE. 0.25 miles

2: Turn LEFT onto S OGDEN DR. 0.37 miles

3: Turn RIGHT onto W OLYMPIC BLVD. 0.12 miles

4: Turn LEFT onto S FAIRFAX AVE. 1.31 miles

5: Turn RIGHT onto VENICE BLVD. 0.41 miles

6: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto DAVID AVE. 0.11 miles

7: Merge onto I-10 W. 6.71 miles

8: Take the 4TH ST/5TH ST exit. 0.20 miles

9: Keep LEFT at the fork in the ramp. 0.10 miles

10: Turn RIGHT onto 4TH ST. 0.35 miles

11: Turn LEFT onto SANTA MONICA BLVD. 0.22 miles

Total Estimated Time: Total Distance: 10.14 miles 15 minutes

For you all wild party animals, the Santa Monica Pier is 3 1/2 blocks away and offers a variety of fun and games… literally and figuratively or the 3rd Street Promenade, an outdoor shopping and entertainment complex, is 3 blocks the other direction.

If I’ve forgotten anything or you still have questions, drop me an email.

We’ll see ya’ll tomorrow :smiley:
PARTY PARTY PARTY

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Faboo. I’ll print this out now.

Esprix

Hey, who sticky’d this sucker? Wasn’t me!

Anyways, you kids have fun. Had you waited 2 weeks, I could have joined y’all, but alas. :slight_smile:

Thank Tio Cerveza for the sticky. I requested it to make sure everyone saw the restaurant change.

Too bad, Coldy. Would have been good to see you again.

Drop a line when you’re in this neck of the woods and we’ll get together for dinner or something.

If you wanna save a couple of bucks, you should be able to find parking on 6th Street, which is the street on the north side of the pits. The parking on the south side of 6th Street on the blocks of the tar pits are metered, but the spots on the north side of the street are free. Also, starting on the blocks to the east of the tar pits, both side of the streets have free parking (although, on the south side, it’s all two hours. The north side is free all day long). You should also be able to find metered spots up and down Wilshire, which will still be cheaper than paying six bucks. And finally, not to confuse you, but there’s also usually good parking on Hauser. Hauser is a few short blocks east of the pits, and if you go north of 6th, the spots are all four hours free.

And for the record, this is also Edwardina’s birthday type weekend. Eddyfest 2003, which is currently underway. 7 bottles of wine so far betwen the four of us. 67 edits to this post alone. I’ve seen nipples. And the good kind. Two people in the pool.

It’s gonna be a good weekend.

That would be me.