[QUOTE=Ensign Edison]
One of my first gay experiences was with a Bob Jones student, if you can imagine. I met quite a few who were there entirely because of their parents. Lib’s analogy, while amusing, is clearly off, but it’s still true that you can’t just assume. Because of my personal experience I never thought twice about Sligh being an alum there, any more than I’d expect people to assume that me being from Syracuse necessarily means I’m a psychotic vegan hick in a cult. Sure, I understand why they might just naturally think so, but still…
[/QUOTE]
Yes, there’s an exception to every rule. And anything is possible.
If “anything is possible” trumps “reasonable doubt,” then reasoning becomes impossible.
And your prejudicial thinking becomes just as problematic. Imagine the converse: If I assume that someone who lives in Des Plaines Illinois is not a serial killer, are you gonna come along with the most infinitesimally unlikely exception, John Wayne Gacey, and give everyone else in Des Plaines the “benefit of the doubt”–they may be a serial killer–until you receive “evidence to the contrary”? That’s an exact analog of your reasoning. That’s not what benefit of the doubt means; that’s the opposite of benefit of the doubt.
If you let the unlikeliest of exceptions rule your reason, you will be ruled entirely by illogic. And, of course, you’ll almost always be wrong.
