Logitech - Please go the fuck out of business

Ended up needing a refund for a camera from long ago and still haven’t heard from those bozos.
So I figure why not look for some customer reviews to vent some spleen, and hooooo-boy, yeah, I found customer reviews, alright.
(I’m the “Do Everyine a Favour, Logitech” commenter btw, for elaboration. :slightly_smiling_face:)
Anyone had to deal with them?

I’ve done fine with Logitech products. But I’ve never needed to contact them either.

How long ago are we talking? Most companies don’t give refunds for an unlimited amount of time.

I’ve been using Logitech trackballs for a long time now, and have always been very happy with their quality. On the other hand, I’ve never had to use their customer support or have I ever bought directly from them.

July-ish.
Notified them at the time, so they had to honour my refund. At first it was a “we’re operating at a limited capacity due to Covid”, which I felt I allowed for, and then finally got confirmation from them in Sept., but said I won’t get refunded for another two months yet. (!!!)
So much for that.
In my latest email to them I attached the review page. :slightly_smiling_face:

I do like their wireless mice and keyboards.

But I haven’t bought one of their webcams in a long time; you can get a much better device cheaper.

I should’ve clarified that I’m focussing more on a customer-related issue than a product one.
Hey, by all means - if there’s happy Logitech customers - have at’er.

Ditto.

And I’ve never bought anything directly from Logitech. Perhaps they’re great at manufacturing but not-so-great at retailing?

Could be. I’ve found that buying through Amazon means that if there’s an issue with something I’ve bought, it gets replaced pretty much immediately and no mucking about with the original supplier/manufacturer.

The last thing I bought from them with an issue was an automatic pet feeder that arrived with a panel broken. They sent the UPS dude back with a preprinted label the very same day. All I had to do was repack it and take it outside when he arrived, he slapped a label on it, and off it went. I got the replacement within a couple of days.

I use a Logitech trackball mouse and aside for the fact that the darned things don’t last terribly well (1-2 years max, and the last half of it I usually have to switch the mouse keys because the “left” key tends to double-click on its own, I like them. Since I think of them as disposable products now, I can make myself live with that. I just checked at Amazon and I’ve now owned 4 of them - the newest is less than 2 years old.

I hate that their “unifying” USB dongle (with which you can attach multiple devices and only need a single dongle) seems to be phasing out in favor of an “improved” one-dongle-per-device structure - and that the dongle does NOT work with their headsets. That’s an annoyance. The disposable trackball - and the fact that they do not make a left-handed version of it, makes them pit-worthy.

On the other hand, I just bought a keyboard from them - and for 24 bucks I can’t complain (I got one using the Unifying receiver).

That sucks. That’s one of the biggest selling points of their wireless peripherals; you can easily pair multiple devices with a single dongle, and losing a dongle doesn’t mean having a dead device. If they are abandoning that I’ll look elsewhere for devices.

I feel for you, but I’ll bet that you can find terrible reviews of every company and every product on pages like that. Mostly because those who were satisfied with the company or the product don’t bother posting on such sites.

Yeah, that unified dongle was nice.
Why can’t they make a dongle with a usb pass-through?

Yeah, this is definitely true. Companies like Logitech produce and sell millions and millions of devices. If only 2 percent of those device have problems, and if only 2 percent of the people who buy defective devices decide to vent about it online, that’s still thousands and thousands of angry complaints. If I’m buying a tech product, I’m pretty committed to checking out reviews, but there is literally not a single product available on the market that doesn’t get a whole lot of bad reviews.

Because then I wouldn’t have a nice small dongle; pass through would make it al least 2x bigger.

I’ll be honest, I wouldn’t consider 2% of devices having a significant defect to be acceptable. I don’t know what my idea of “acceptable flaw rate” is, exactly, but it’s at least an order of magnitude smaller.

That was a number pulled out of my ass for merely illustrative purposes. The point was simply that every company produces some defective items, and companies that sell millions of items a year are going to have defective items numbered in the thousands. Even if the defect rate is only one-tenth of one percent, that’s 1,000 defective items for every million products you sell.

Also, as @Dewey_Finn suggested, you can’t really take those online review sites as indicative of a company’s overall quality, because it’s disproportionately the people who have a problem who choose to write reviews on those sites. The sites where people actually buy the products might be a bit more reliable. For example, I’ve reviewed a few products on Amazon and NewEgg and similar sites where I buy m tech stuff, and I’ve posted some positive reviews. I only posted the reviews, however, because I got an email after my purchase asking me to write a review. Otherwise, I might not have bothered.

The biggest problem with reviews on the seller sites is fake positive reviews. Amazon’s had real problems with those over the years.

:grinning:

As for Logitech specifically, I’ve only had experience with their optical mice. At the time that the technology was transitioning from mechanical to optical mice, the Microsoft one I got was crap – inaccurate as hell. The Logitech one was far better.

The only complaint I’ve ever had with a Logitech mouse was one that was just a bit too small, so that I kept accidentally hitting one of the buttons. It was probably made for tiny hands like those of small girls or Donald Trump. The one I use on my primary computer, also by Logitech, is much more ergonomic and I’ve been very happy with it for a long time – probably more than 15 years now, which is forever for any kind of computer electronics!

Me, too. I just got a new one because my old one finally wore out after ten years. I’m a gamer so, believe me, my track ball gets one hell of a workout almost every day.

As far as I’m concerned, Logitech is one of the few consistently good computer peripheral/electronics manufacturers out there, along with Panasonic and Anker. Their products may not be the cheapest, or have every bell and whistle, but they always work, and they usually are well designed and durable. Keyboards, mice, cameras, headsets, etc… I’ve had all of them from Logitech, and they’ve always been very durable and functional.

Generally speaking, I’m not a brand loyalist either. But for certain things, I do consider a few brands first, and for computer peripherals, Logitech is one of those first-choice brands.

That’s the one brand of peripheral I will willingly shell out more money for based on brand name. I’ve learned that if I buy a no-name brand of cable or adapter or whatever, I’m probably replacing it quickly. If I buy Anker, maybe I pay twice as much but it lasts 10 times as long.