Lost 3.1: "A Tale of Two Cities"

I don’t remember what the kids that were taken in the beginning looked like so I was wondering if it was one of them.

[QUOTE=Shaboots]
In the photo slide show that BayleDomon mentions, who is that little girl sitting in the room with Jack on slide 33? I don’t remember that from the episode.
[/QUOTE]

Trippy. I certainly don’t remember that either , but it could be the little girl from the tailies group-- both have blond hair. Hard to say from the picture, though, because I just can’t see her face clearly.

[QUOTE=Smeghead]
Oh, oh, OH!!! I can’t believe I forgot this!

Did no one else notice that, as Jack was opening the Big Giant Door O’ Death, the sounds it made were EXACTLY the sounds made by the Tree-Crushing Security Smoke System?! Go give it a listen and tell me if I’m wrong. I just watched again, and I’m more convinced now. I don’t know what it means - maybe the TCSSS is run by hydraulics?
[/QUOTE]

Upon re-watch I noticed this as well.

Kate acted very vulnerable and abused when she was put in the cage. Her wrists were all bloodied from the handcuffs and when she took a bite of the fish biscuit she winced as if her mouth was sore or her teeth were loose. Taken with Ben’s prediction that it would be a very unpleasant 2 weeks for her, I’m wondering how much time passed? Or, exactly how many sandwiches was Jack offered before he finally gave in?

[QUOTE=PunditLisa]

Kate acted very vulnerable and abused when she was put in the cage. Her wrists were all bloodied from the handcuffs and when she took a bite of the fish biscuit she winced as if her mouth was sore or her teeth were loose. Taken with Ben’s prediction that it would be a very unpleasant 2 weeks for her, I’m wondering how much time passed? Or, exactly how many sandwiches was Jack offered before he finally gave in?
[/QUOTE]

The time between episodes is never more than a few days. I’m sure that Kate’s difficult 2 weeks are ahead of her.

[QUOTE=BayleDomon]
Gonna have to sink this, sorry. They did show Kate and Jack ripping away the bandages, but not Sawyer - but that doesn’t mean he didn’t have one. Go to the ABC.com Photo Gallery and check out photo 17 for A Tale of Two Cities. Sawyer’s on the ground and the bandage is clearly visible. It’s there, he just didn’t bother with it. Now, whatever meanings that might have, I couldn’t begin to say.
[/QUOTE]

Damn you! Oh well, I liked my theory while it lasted.

I agree that it was Carrie at the book club, but for some reason Juliet is holding a distinctly different King book outside. Might be just a continuity error or changed for visibility since the author was much more apparent on that cover than the Carrie one. Either way, it was a different book in that shot.

Could it have been a different edition of Carrie?

[QUOTE=John Mace]
Trippy. I certainly don’t remember that either , but it could be the little girl from the tailies group-- both have blond hair. Hard to say from the picture, though, because I just can’t see her face clearly.
[/QUOTE]

Neither myself or Mrs. WeHaveCookies remembers seeing the little girl. Could it have been a subliminal single frame or two and they decided to use that particular instant for a still just to mess with us?

[QUOTE=OpalCat]
Could it have been a different edition of Carrie?
[/QUOTE]
It looks to me as if it is indeed a different edition. In this shot you can see that the book’s title seems to begin with the letters CAR. And it looks like a trade paperback.

One review I read suggested that the Others captured Jack, Kate and Sawyer because

each of them saw something not real. Jack saw his dead father, Kate saw the horse and Sawyer supposedly saw an intelligent boar. I remember the first two, but I don’t remember the intelligent boar. Does anyone remember that?

And I agree that the cages were originally intended to hold the polar bears and were hastily reused for securing Kate and Sawyer. But why the complex feeding mechanism in Sawyer’s cage? I think the Others were attempting to test the intelligence of the bears and perhaps augment it.

[QUOTE=Dewey Finn]
One review I read suggested that the Others captured Jack, Kate and Sawyer because

each of them saw something not real. Jack saw his dead father, Kate saw the horse and Sawyer supposedly saw an intelligent boar. I remember the first two, but I don’t remember the intelligent boar. Does anyone remember that?

[/QUOTE]

Then why didn’t they want Sayid? He saw imaginary Walt when he was with Shannon.

[QUOTE=ComeToTheDarkSideWeHaveCookies]
Neither myself or Mrs. WeHaveCookies remembers seeing the little girl. Could it have been a subliminal single frame or two and they decided to use that particular instant for a still just to mess with us?
[/QUOTE]

I’ve seen other photos released by the producers that were not part of the episode, so this might just be another one. When I rewatch this one (I always do!) I’'ll do a slow-mo viewing of that part and see if she shows up. I haven’t seen anything on the “Lost” cites like The Tailsection, though, and someone usually catches these things pretty quickly. No other show that I know of is analyzed so closely.

[QUOTE=Trion]
Lots to like this episode. Juliette is interesting to me. I didn’t pick up on the tension between her and Ben right away, but my wife did. I think I started to be interested right when she said that she didn’t make the sandwich, but she put the little toothpicks in.

Also, that was one of the better flashbacks for Jack we’ve seen in a while. It was great watching his stubbornness take over completely to the point where he drove his father back to the bottle. A new look at his past that fits the character. We haven’t had enough of that - too often it’s just a retread.

Killer opening too. I suspected we were on the island, but getting to watch the plane go down was a nice touch.

Yes, slow in parts. But I can forgive that. We need time to get used to the New Normal.
[/QUOTE]

I liked the way Elizabeth Mitchell showed Juliet’s tension. She looked like she was about to cry at the beginning of the ep but had to pull herself together for the book club. At the end, her “thank you” to Ben(ry) was not at all sincere, and that’s exactly as it should be. After all, the little rodent would have let her drown.

I don’t see the little girl that y’all are talking about.

[QUOTE=vivalostwages]
At the end, her “thank you” to Ben(ry) was not at all sincere, and that’s exactly as it should be. After all, the little rodent would have let her drown.
[/QUOTE]

I read her as a lot more machiavellian than that. My impression was that the plan was to let Jack get in trouble, emperil her, and then bond a little through a “rescue”. I wouldn’t be surprised at this point if Juliet was the leader of the Others.

[QUOTE=Dooku]

Then why didn’t they want Sayid? He saw imaginary Walt when he was with Shannon.

[/QUOTE]

[spoiler]Maybe because Walt was the psychic making them both see him. Or maybe Shannon was and made Sayid see Walt.

But that’s distant guesswork on the “others taking the castaways who have some psychic abilities” theory.[/spoiler]

Any isolated group needs to recruit new specialists from time to time… and as a possibly cult-like group, they need to first breakdown and rebuild the new recruits… Jack is clearly good at putting things back together, and Kate is good at blowing things up… Sawyer? He’s good at manipulating others… they gots plenty of those already.

Why not just let the water equalize then swim out to freedom?

[QUOTE=Ms Macphisto]
It probably doesn’t mean anything, but I got excited when she was pulling the CD out of the case, because it was clearly the inside cover art for Talking Heads’ Speaking in Tongues, then we got Petula Clark(?). I’m just amazed to have found some little detail before anyone else.
[/QUOTE]
I saw it!!!
I just haven’t had a chance to comment before now.

[QUOTE=OpalCat]
Could it have been a different edition of Carrie?
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they were clearly two different editions, as they were being held by different people. In fact, in the same scene (in the living room), you can clearly see a third edition, too, being held by yet another book Other. You can only see the author on that one, though.

[QUOTE=Dewey Finn]
One review I read suggested that the Others captured Jack, Kate and Sawyer because

each of them saw something not real. Jack saw his dead father, Kate saw the horse and Sawyer supposedly saw an intelligent boar. I remember the first two, but I don’t remember the intelligent boar. Does anyone remember that?

And I agree that the cages were originally intended to hold the polar bears and were hastily reused for securing Kate and Sawyer. But why the complex feeding mechanism in Sawyer’s cage? I think the Others were attempting to test the intelligence of the bears and perhaps augment it.
[/QUOTE]

Sawyer saw Kate’s horse, too, when he first left the hatch after recovering from his infected bullet wound. I don’t what that says about the horse’s unreality. Also, Hurley’s spent more time with imaginary people than anyone else on the island, but they let him go. Which is another question: why did they specifically want Hurley, if they were just going to use him as a messanger?

I vaguely recall Sawyer’s boar, but I forget the context of the episode. A boar tears up Sawyer’s tent, and he gets one of the guns and goes hunting for it with Kate (I think). The boar outsmarts them both, at one point pissing all over Sawyer’s gear when they make camp, but not touching Kate’s stuff. He winds up deciding to let the boar live, but I can’t remember why, or what the overall point of the episode was. The boar was definetly real, though. Lots of people saw it, and it left a wake of tangible destruction (of Sawyer’s stuff) behind it.

[QUOTE=Miller]
He winds up deciding to let the boar live, but I can’t remember why, or what the overall point of the episode was. The boar was definetly real, though.
[/QUOTE]

The boar represented stuff about his past eating away at him, and he let the boar live to symbolically just let it go.