Lost 4.04: "Eggtown"

IANAL, but can’t the prosecution elect to go afterwards?
Plus, it’s TV.

He told her not to let her child be raised by another or “an other”.

I thought this episode was a big drop in quality after the previous several. We’re back to “people doing things for absolutely no reason”. What in God’s name was motivating island-Kate? Why would she care if people on the boat knew about her criminal past? It wasn’t like the outside world was going to forget.

And of course no one ever bothers to stop and ask any of the boaties who they are or anything of that sort. Although that’s pretty much par for the course.
And how long could someone keep a live grenade in their mouth, anyhow?

I’m easily distracted by minutiae.

The figure of $3.2 million seems really familiar to me. Isn’t that the amount that Dennis Hopper’s character was asking for in the movie Speed?

If they didn’t know, she might be able to slip away when the boat got back and escape into anonymity again. Since they do know, she figures they’ll call the cops the minute they get her on board.

I am getting convinced the writers are just messing with us. “Let’s throw out an odd number, that will make the fans go nuts speculating on its significance.”

Of course…that won’t stop me from speculating. :smiley: $3.2 million is a very specific number. My guess is it’s the exact price of something. And Miles, for all his Ghostbuster scamminess, isn’t going to ask for one penny more.

Exactly. Kate’s been worried about potential rescuers calling the cops on her since season 1. She had taken the drowned woman’s ID and burned off the picture to use as her ID until she could sneak away. Now she knows that if these people rescue them, she’s going directly to jail without passing “Go” or collecting $200.

Unless…

Unless they come up with some plan to make her look good. Just as an example, let say (God forbid) something bad were to happen to Claire. Then she might be able to come up with some story to make her look good. Look heroic and maternal.

The story could go something like this: Ocianic flight 815 crashes in the water near a deserted south pacific island. Kate manages to save 8 of the passangers. One of theose people is a pregnant Australian woman named Claire. Claire is one of the two who passes away afterwards, but not before giving birth to Aaron. Kate takes it upon herself to become Aaron’s new mother.

Now obviously, Jack will have to do something heroic to get them off the island. And Kate will need somebody to back up this story - someone who loves her. But when she gets back to the real world she looks good. Perhaps good enough to sway a jury in her favor - just like her lawyer suggested. Unfortunatley, by the time the trial comes around she may feel too much like Aaron’s mother to “use” him in quite the same way she uses other people (Sawyer?). But I can belive she might start working on this plan as soon as she’s sure the prople on the boat knows who she is.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

I’ve got some strange thoughts floating around after Daniel and Charlotte were guessing cards. Kate wanted to know about herself. Is she the first one to realize she is ‘forgetting’ parts of her past life?

I dunno. Maybe I should watch the ep again.

Well, it probably IS significant, since Ben called him on it: “Why 3.2? Why not 3.3?” he sneered, remember?

Well, with the insane labrynthine workings of Ben’s mind, maybe it’s a code? 3.2 million means “We can take out the boat whenever you want” and 3.3 million means “There’s a squad of mercenaries on there and if we make a move we all die”.

Although from reactions, I probably got it backwards.

-Joe

It seemed to me that at first Ben was like “the fuck do you want exactly $3.2 million for, why not $3.— [oh shit, he knows about the $3.2 million I’ve stolen from X] – 3?”

The biggest immediate mystery as far as I’m concerned (besides why Kate leaves Sawyer) is what is happening to the Others? The ones we left traipsing to the temple? The lost tribe of Ben? Don’t you think they miss their nice comfy barracks? Are they as scared of the freighter people as Ben and Locke are? If I were in their shoes I’d just be scared of Locke… I hope he ends the series rocking away alone in a spooky cabin.

Oh – and why didn’t Nathan Filion show up for Kate’s trial? Too embarrassed?

(Trion - I like your theory.)

I don’t understand the timeline in the flashforwards. In last night’s episode, Jack was clean-shaven and sober, as he was in Hurley’s flashforward. But in his own episode, he was bearded, drunk, using drugs and suicidal. So did he start off OK and then decline, or the other way round?

Are the flashforwards moving backwards, chronologically? The one at the end of season 3 seemed to be the very latest (Jack with a beard, drinking heavily, depressed), and each successive flash forward now moves closer to the time the Losties left the island.

Faraday’s character is giving out some interesting info. If the island really makes people disastrously retarded, it might explain much of the Losties behavior.

• I was totally shocked when she called him Aaron. Even with Claire figuring prominently in the episode, I still forget about her. I guess the writers WILL be picking up on the “Aaron is special” plot!

• I liked the episode (law crap not withstanding). I think what Aioua was thinking of is that the prosecution has the option of giving their CLOSE last. However, they MUST put on their case in chief first because the defendant is not even required to put on a case, let alone put on their defense first. But, like you said, “It’s TV!”

• I have been behind on these weekly threads, but I’m sure someone has speculated that GhostbusterGuy is there to talk to Jacob. That idea popped in my head last night seeing GG locked in the cabin (great scene with the grenade “breakfast.”)

• Hurley: “You Scoobie-Doo’d me again, didn’t you?” (Kate pats him on the shoulder.)

• Was Sawyer in on Kate’s scam, or was he really telling on her? I could read that scene both ways. My gut says that it was a compromise he crafted because he couldn’t justify letting her take Ben out of the basement.

• Kate looked really hot last night. However, I do not like it when Sawyer has his shirt off. It makes me feel like doing situps. Bastard!

I’m pretty sure he started okay and then declined, since we know that the decline leads up to his meeting with Kate by the airport. That clearly hadn’t happened yet in the Hurley and Kate flashforwards.

-FrL-

That’s what I was thinking. But when I was thinking it, I was joking to myself. But maybe there’s something to it after all?

-FrL-

Re Kate having Aaron – I’m wondering if there might be a ‘last lifeboat chicanery’ explanation going on. As in, there’s a helicopter/boat/whatever leaving the island, and for whatever mumbo-jumbo reason they know they can’t go back to the island again. There’s a clutch of people wanting off, but here comes Kate carrying Aaron, and she manages to fool whoever is in charge that she ‘deserves’ to get off for the sake of the baby.

Of course the Losties know she’s lying, but in panicky situation, or if the only other people getting off on the ride are the boat people, she might get away with it.

Anyway, surely there must be something skeevy about her having Aaron, or else why is Jack so unwilling to see the kid?

Nah, I don’t buy it. Jack’s not *that *enraptured with Kate. And I really can’t swallow a woman on trial for murder being allowed to adopt an Australian baby with living relatives.

I think it’s pretty clear that the Oceanic Six are not the only survivors left in their timeline, and that they’re lying (and in Sayid’s case, murdering) to protect the ones they left behind. I’m guessing Claire couldn’t escape for some reason, and sent Kate off with Aaron. Kate claimed Aaron as her own (we don’t know how long they said they were on that island, plus the temporal distortions, plus prove Kate wasn’t already knocked up when the plane crashed) to cover for Claire , who they claimed died with her unborn child in the crash.

And I assume the $3.2M was because the guy knew that’s exactly how much money Ben could get his hands on.

Maybe. I’m not yet sure if Kate is presenting Aaron as her biological child and the funky island time bubble could make such a claim plausible. But I think the story I gave would play better in court and I’m more convinced that Kate originally took Aaron for that purpose only to feel too maternal to go through with the deception later. Too bad Kate stopped Jack from telling the whole lie in court or we’d know. And I do think people would be reluctant to take Aaron from Kate if she’s the only mom he’s ever know. As for Aaron’s “living relatives” the only one we know of is Claire’s aunt who may not care or may even be dead.

But I’m certainly not wedded to every detail of my theory. Plus, it should be noted that I’m notoriously bad at figuring these things out. So the safe bet is that I’m completely and totally wrong. :wink: