Making a low budget band video - who has done the best job so far?

I’ll nominate The Dandy Warhols - Bohemian Like You.

Presumably cost nothing but I watch it very, very frequently.

Awesome song mind you.

Other suggestions for the aspiring auteur?

Weeellll…sounds a lot like Sympathy For The Devil by the Rolling Stones which I associate with Alamont.

Good video shame about the ripoff.

It’s “Brown Sugar” the riff is reminding you of, but the riff in The Specials’ “Little Bitch” is even closer, I think, but also perhaps a nod to the Stones.

Generally, anything by OK Go! Here It Goes Again was the first one I saw, but I think This Too Shall Pass is the best.

The surveillance camera music vid is pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2iuZMEEs_A

OK Go!'s “Here It Goes Again” has to win - it’s incredibly entertaining given how cheaply done and simple it is. For best of all time, I’d go with The Romantic’s “What I Like About You.” They just set up on stage somewhere (looks like a school auditorium) and powered thru it.

Brian Bellew and His Miserable Band. They have several videos on youtube. The best one is I’m Drunk, so go fug yourself. Brian passed away but since I knew him as a kid, it was a shock to learn. Another song he does is “Sick of You.”

Yeeaahhh ok I’ll give you that after a re-listen. :smiley:

When I think of cheap and simple, this is the first video that comes to mind: Message To My Girl by Split Enz. A single shot video (with a hidden cut in the middle).

The classic cheap (pre)video must be Bob Dylan and Subterranean Homesick Blues!
More recently I like Grant Lee Phillips and The Sun Shines on Jupiter.

But I suppose neither of them are ‘band’ videos as they’re solo artists…

Anything by OK GO, agreed.

Also, anything by Walk off the Earth.

I think that with OK Go, rehearsal time and takes should be taken into account, the deceptively simple end-product has tons of practice and re-takes that were needed to produce it.

My vote is for Van Halen “Jump”, a simple shoot on an isolated stage with a handheld camera that is just the band mock-playing and improving. That it won video awards makes it even more notable, given that simple band-performance type videos are commonplace.

In the “non band performance” category, I’ll nominate REM “It’s the End of the World” video. Just a single handheld camera, and a kid improving with skateboard tricks. No rehearsals, no effects.

Money” by the Flying Lizards. Not only is the video low budget, but the actual recording expenses for the song were about £20 (maybe about $35 at the time).

Two years ago, Drew Smith outsourced his video for “Smoke and Mirrors” to a dance school in India. You can find it on YouTube, it’s absolutely beautiful.