Manufacturer's warnings you routinely ignore

I take “Not a food product. Do not eat,” as more of a challenge than a warning.

“Do not remove under penalty of law” I always wondered how they would know. But every pillow I ever saw as a kid still had the label on.

[QUOTE=Johnny L.A.]
Tonight I read the label on a tin of oysters. There was a cautionary note under the ingredients (Oysters, water, salt):

Contains: Shellfish (Oysters)

Thank god for that warning! I may have eaten them!

Actually, I think I’ll ignore that note and eat them.
[/QUOTE]

I found the same thing on my package of Crab meat…

Under the ingredients and nutrition info on the back, it said exactly that - “Warning: Contains Crab”

Brendon Small

[QUOTE=minor7flat5]
Strange – the wording of the tags always stood out in my memory because I remember as a child in the 70s wondering why the grownups joked about the mattress tags when it clearly said “except by consumer” on them. Perhaps they changed the wording in the early seventies and I was too late for the sweet spot of true mattress tag fear.
[/QUOTE]

I always wondered about that as well, although I was a kid in the late '80s-early '90s. The wording had long since changed, but the jokes persisted. Sort of like an old wive’s tale lingering in the collective subconscious for decades.

My advice-ignoring quirk is that I still use a now-outdated mercury oral thermometer to take my temperature. Although I know that Hellish Death and Destruction await should that thing break (well, not really), somehow I trust it more than the digital-style thermometers. Can’t really say why. My perspective is that I, a very careful adult, am less at risk for thermometer breakage and subsequent negative effects than the children for whom the mercury types were likely phased out.

[QUOTE=brendon_small]
I found the same thing on my package of Crab meat…

Under the ingredients and nutrition info on the back, it said exactly that - “Warning: Contains Crab”
[/QUOTE]
This kind of thing blows my mind. I was on an airplane the other day, and got my little packet of peanuts. In big letters, it says “peanuts.” In small letters, it says “warning: contains nuts.”

Do they really think some moron is going to file a lawsuit? I can just see the cross-examination:

Q: So, you have a serious allergy to nuts?
A: Yes.
Q: Your very life can depend upon not eating nuts?
A: That’s correct.
Q: And you didn’t know that peaNUTS are nuts?
A: Well…
Q: Did you know that this peanut is more intelligent than you?
A: Hey!

But isn’t a peanut a legume? That could be confusing. Maybe.

I think it was Russell Baker who wrote one time about his mom sewing back on any mattress labels that fell off over time. :smack:

[QUOTE=gigi]
But isn’t a peanut a legume? That could be confusing. Maybe.:smack:
[/QUOTE]

Yep, peanuts are not nuts.

This is one that shows how stupid burocracies are

Welsh Dragon Sausages

They list the meat used in the sausage on the label, but they’re being told the name is misleading. They are supposed to change the name. This is the dumbest compliant I’ve seen in the news in a while.

[QUOTE=Harmonious Discord]
This is one that shows how stupid burocracies are

Welsh Dragon Sausages

They list the meat used in the sausage on the label, but they’re being told the name is misleading. They are supposed to change the name. This is the dumbest compliant I’ve seen in the news in a while.
[/QUOTE]

Well what about:

Spotted Dick
Toad in the Hole
Baked Alaska

None of these contain Dicks, Toads or bits of Alaska

[QUOTE=chowder]
Well what about:

Spotted Dick
Toad in the Hole
Baked Alaska

None of these contain Dicks, Toads or bits of Alaska
[/QUOTE]

As far as I know, they are not asking any company to change their product name becuase people think spotted dick has dicks in it.

They want a name change because they say somebody won’t understand they are made from pork when labeled so and called Welsh Dragon Sausages.

[QUOTE=Harmonious Discord]
As far as I know, they are not asking any company to change their product name becuase people think spotted dick has dicks in it.

They want a name change because they say somebody won’t understand they are made from pork when labeled so and called Welsh Dragon Sausages.
[/QUOTE]

OK Then.

So “they” think that out there somebody actually believes that dragons are flapping around the Welsh countryside…much like the flying pink spaghetti monster

[QUOTE=WhyNot]
You’re not supposed to clean out your ears. I know, that’s crazy talk, right? Apparently if you forgo the Q-tips for a month or more, your ear will stop producing so much wax and what wax it does make will just form little balls and roll out when you’re yawning. I swear I’m not making this up. Me, I get to about 32 hours and my ears itch like a mo-fo and I’m reaching for the Q-tips again.
[/QUOTE]

That feeling you get when you put off reaching for the Q-tip as long as possible then sit down in the comfy-chair and go to town?

That’s called an Ear-gasm.

[QUOTE=BMalion]
That feeling you get when you put off reaching for the Q-tip as long as possible then sit down in the comfy-chair and go to town?

That’s called an Ear-gasm.
[/QUOTE]

I’m kinky - I go for both ears at once. It’s a ménage à ahhhhhh… :smiley:

[QUOTE=chowder]
Well what about:

Spotted Dick
Toad in the Hole
Baked Alaska

None of these contain Dicks, Toads or bits of Alaska
[/QUOTE]

And Welsh rabbit. Those Welsh are misleading!

[QUOTE=chowder]
OK Then.

So “they” think that out there somebody actually believes that dragons are flapping around the Welsh countryside…much like the flying pink spaghetti monster
[/QUOTE]

Are you trying to say that you support them being made to change the name so people don’t think it contains dragon?

I routinely taunt Happy Fun Ball .

I used to ignore the kill switch on treadmills (you know - the gizmo you’re supposed to attach to your clothing in the event that you stumble and fall?)

Then I stumbled and fell and flew off the friggin treadmill and wound up with treadmill rash all over one arm. Now I used the kill switch, or better, just don’t use treadmills.

On the bottom of a box: “Flip me”. I actually, I kinda did obey the label. Just not in the way they intended.

[QUOTE=gigi]
And Welsh rabbit. Those Welsh are misleading!
[/QUOTE]

Actually it’s Welsh Rarebit

I had a jogging stroller that said it was not to be used with inline skates (although it said nothing about the old-fashioned kind). I routinely used it with inline skates.

Dry clean only. I don’t think so.

My vacuum cleaner said not to use it barefoot or while wearing sandals. Pfffft! (What, is it going to vacuum my toes? I’m so scaaaaared.) Really–I have enough sense not to run the thing over my foot.

I also have a humidifier that isn’t supposed to be placed on the floor. Now, the floor does get a bit soggy. Why should they care if my floor is soggy?