Matt Gaetz being investigated for sex with 17 year old girl (DOJ declines to charge 2023-02-15)

To be fair:

Greene tweeted on Wednesday: “Court-martial Mark Milley.” Greene had earlier tweeted “Court Marshall Mark Milley” but deleted the post and sent a new tweet without the typo.

To be fair, I doubt it was a typo.

No, it was a stupid, ignorant mistake, later corrected by a somewhat less stupid and ignorant aide.

Maybe the Marshall of the Supreme Court will be the one to do this. Let me ask Louise Mensch…

What about Court Will and Court Holly?

I’m just lost.

The main problem here is that Milley was NOT responsible for the Afghanistan debacle, if you want to call it that.

First, he’s the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs (of Staff). They conveniently leave the “of Staff” part off, and like to imply that those guys are the operational heads of their services, and they all answer to the Chairman. But that’s not how it works; Chiefs of Staff are in charge of everything BUT operational stuff, which is the province of the “Combatant Commanders”, who are generals and admirals of equivalent rank (all 4 star, AFAIK), but who are in charge of one of the geographic combatant commands (Central Command, US European Command/NATO, etc…) or some of the global ones, like US Strategic Command (nuclear weaponry), US Special Operations Command (USSOCOM), and so on. The combatant commanders take their orders straight from the Secretary of Defense, and the Joint Chiefs play an advisory role for the Secretary of Defense and the President. But they’re not in command in the sense that everyone seems to think.

In the case of Afghanistan, General Frank McKenzie is the guy on the hot seat for that, as the commander of Central Command.

Second, the real issue with Afghanistan wasn’t that the US pulled out without warning, etc… It’s that we pulled out with the expectation that the Afghan Army and Government were going to, you know, fight and not fold like a house of cards at the first sign of pressure from the Taliban. The expectation was that the US would withdraw, and the ANA / Afghan government would continue the fight on their own, using the mountains of US supplied equipment and the training we’d provided. There wouldn’t really need to be a pullout plan- the idea was that we’d leisurely withdraw our combat troops, and everyone else would be getting out when and as they needed to. But again, the expectation was that they’d just be able to hop on a commercial flight out of Kabul, because the Afghan Government would be running the show.

But the ANA sucked beyond all expectation, and failed to prevent a lightning-fast advance by the Taliban and their subsequent capture of Kabul, while the US military was now trying to cobble together an evacuation plan at the last second, which was never the plan. Had the ANA managed to hold their shit together for just a month vs. the Taliban, it would have been a VERY different story as far as the pullout went.

The failure on the part of the military and civilian leadership was not recognizing how wretched the ANA really was, and expecting it to actually stand and fight. And then basing their plans on that expectation; I’d have thought there would have been more planning for “what happens if the ANA folds like a cheap suit?” in terms of media messaging, pre-positioned troops/aircraft, evacuation priority, and so forth. The military seems to have been caught d**k in hand when the ANA folded. But I’m not sure whose responsibility that sort of contingency planning is- is that something the civilian authorities should have mandated? Is it something McKenzie should have foreseen? Should Milley and the Joint Chiefs have advised everyone to be on the lookout for that to happen? Probably yes to all of the above in some degree, actually. But it’s not 100% Milley’s fault, that’s for sure.

It’s about “courting Sarah Marshall” referring to a popular film. It’s a message that she doesn’t want to be “forgotten,” a very valid fear for her.

While I don’t disagree with any of your post, wasn’t MGT mad at Milley for not being willing to start WWIII if Trump so ordered? I don’t think it had anything to do with Afghanistan.

And not to junior mod, but aren’t we all getting derailed from the essential goal of this OP – mocking Matt Gaetz?

Yeah, I went off the rails there… I’m just getting a bit frustrated with all the incorrect implications, etc… Milley doesn’t actually command anyone, save maybe the Joint Staff (a set of staff officers who support the Joint Chiefs).

It’s like getting mad at the President for the actions of the Postmaster General; yes, the President appoints the board, who then appoints the Postmaster General, but if the Postmaster General goes off the rails, it’s not like the President has any actual ability to DO anything about it.

Anyway, here are some pretty harsh words from Ben Sasse re: Gaetz and MTG.

Sasse Says Matt Gaetz, AOC, and Marjorie Taylor Greene ‘Aren’t Serious Adults’ (businessinsider.com)

Did I not make sufficient fun of his campaign photo and sex offender lawyer hires?

Absolutely, and well done! But that was 11 hours ago, and we all got distracted.

It’s also pretty uncanny. Twilight Zone was way ahead of its time. I mean they even had the foresight to call him a dummy. What are the odds?

The “right” is mad at Milley because he talked very candidly to lots of reporters after Trump left office, saying, among other things, that he thought Trump committed treason.

That was in the Woodward book. I’m not sure if that quote made any of the articles about the book. If it was, I can’t find it because the right wing accusations of treason against Milley drown out the search results.

I wonder if that’s somewhat deliberate, kind of like naming your company Fraud Guarantee.

So calling a traitor a traitor is treason? :thinking:

Can we get back to Matt Gaetz in this thread, maybe…?

Getting back to Matt shouldn’t be a problem; he keeps doing stupid stuff and saying stupid stuff. My favorite article from the last week or so:

If we must…

I think I saw that on youtube. Is that the one that has Gaetz doing Beavis?
Gaetz is Butthead.

So I was watching the season premier of Law and Order SVU (which I don’t usually watch) because I read somewhere that it was inspired by Matt Gaetz’s troubles.

In the episode, the congressman is accused of trafficking and having sex with underage girls. In one scene, he is having a conversation with his lawyer (who bears a striking resemblance to Giuliani - sweat and all) and the lawyer slaps him. At that point my husband is walking through the room and asks why “that guy” slapped “that other guy”. And I said “because he is a surrogate for Matt Gaetz and that is what we, the viewing audience, want to see.”

Hee hee. I thought you all might find that amusing.

It’s funny because it’s true.