May the makers of popup windows roast in Hell.

Oh, sure. I mean, noone likes sites that use popups because they have no other way to support themselves. Let’s all ban IMDB. Gamespot, too. How dare they mar our free service with their attempts to keep sheltered, fed, and clothed! From hell’s heart, I stab at them!

:rolleyes:

I’ll second the Mozilla Firebird recommendation.

Simple, really.

It used to be that if you wanted to surf through a huge population trying to get them to buy something, you had to go door to door.

Then the telephone was invented. Now you could simply call them up on the horn.

And now, we have the internet. You can spam them, you can use popups, you can literally hammer MILLIONS of people with your friggin’ sales pitch, every HOUR!

And if you hit a million people, a certain number will naturally respond.

And of those responders, some will be dumb enough to give you money.

A fraction of a million is still pretty substantial, depending. People make their living doing this. Some even get rich.

Hence, the use of the Constitution to defend spamming. Rich people generally have lawyers. I’m quite sure they could find something in “freedom of speech” to defend popups, even the kind that seize control of your web browser and require you to do the alt-F4 thing to close the damn window.

I, too, have sworn that I will never, never, never buy any product from anyone I know uses popups. This has not stopped the popups. It does make me feel a little better, though…

Um, no. IE has zones so you can put those sites in the “trusted” list. I block everything as a rule and then put some sites on my trusted list and/or authorize them to use of cookies. Seems more discriminating to me and is already built in to IE.

SlimBrowser, brilliant. Stops pop-ups, multiple searches including dictionaries etc built in, very trainable, I just type pit to get here to the pit for example. I love my browser.

Like many people outside of North America I have bandwidth issues, before blocking popups I would go over my monthly limits, blocking popups I usually am well under. They may as well reach into my pocket and rip off my wallet.

IMDB was acquired by Amazon.com (and began to suck immediately). It’s not exactly some two-bit volunteer operation that needs funds from the public.

In any event, tt isn’t the user’s fault if the company isn’t intelligent enough to support itself in any other fashion. There are sites out there that have become profitable through less-invasive advertising measures.

UnuMondo

UnuMondo, no matter who owns them, the fact is that they’re providing a free service. Did Amazon acquire them? Okay. I don’t have a problem with them using popups to get themselves back up in the black.