Men: do you usually follow proper urinal etiquette?

Of course there are exceptions. One of my fellow chorister is extremely “pee-shy.” He can’t pee unless he’s the only one in the entire restroom.

I don’t consider it a big deal using a urinal , and while I will follow rules 1 and 2 generally, I will make conversation if there’s something pertinent to be said. I like to think it’s my way at chipping away at the anxiety surrounding public-pissing, though I fear it may work to the contrary.

I always follow the rules of don’t pee on the other guy’s leg, and don’t shake it off for anybody even if they don’t have arms.

I believe the idea is that someone who really needs to use it might come in. It really doesn’t take that much time to wait on the urinal.

Anyways, pretty much everywhere I’ve went have the urinals well spaced, and have those dividers. So I’ll follow the etiquette if I can, but, if not, I don’t care.

I will also follow the rule where, if you started a conversation before you went in, you can continue it.

I’m not defending the non-flushers but there is a reason. One cool thing about being a guy and using urinals is that you can use the relieve yourself and never even touch anything in the room. Saunter up to the urinal, whip it out and go, walk away. For extra points, this can be done without even touching yourself except to unzip. I do not advocate this but I do understand it.

These days we have waterless urinals at my work so I couldn’t flush anyway.

All the men’s restrooms where I work have exactly two stalls and two urinals. So if one of whichever you’re headed for is already in use, you can’t follow the rules, period.

We have five urinals so depending on which day of the week it is, I use the one that corresponds to that day.

Just kidding, I use the sink.

I have found that walking into a restroom and asking a total stranger if he would mind turning slightly so we can share the urinal is a really good way to get some very dirty looks. Also, asking if he wants to “play swords” (i.e.: crossing the streams) is generally frowned upon.

Just joking … everybody knows you shouldn’t cross the streams!

I like to sneak up behind a guy at the urinal and piss between his legs.

Aha! You cretin! You scared the whizz out of me yesterday.

I like to comment “Boy the water’s cold!” and wait for the response.

As to not flushing, it’s a green thing-Boy Scouts are taught if it’s yellow, let it mellow. If it’s brown, flush it down. Saves water. Aim for the edge to minimize splash.

I just don’t use them. Something about standing in a puddle of piss.

:o

I follow Joe Frickin Friday’s modified rules.

Related question: Where is it best to direct one’s stream to minimize spray/splashback? I personally prefer to aim for one of the holes at the bottom of the urinal, if any. Flushing while urinating is also sometimes helpful to divert any ricochet spray.

Bullshit.

That’s a fine policy, and I follow it at home often, because there’s only the two of us there, and the commode has a lid. I would never think of doing this if we had company.

I predict you would have to poll one hell of a lot of non-flushers in public places (assuming they would answer truthfully) before you’d find one who says “Oh, I’m saving the earth by not flushing.”

Not only do I follow urinal etiquette, I also follow movie-theater-seat etiquette. Those who think guys are weird for having urinal etiquette should start asking men about theater seat etiquette. There’s a definite personal space issue for most men that goes beyond “I don’t want to be too close to a guy with his genitals exposed” to “I don’t want to be too close to a guy.”

Anyway… as far as not flushing urinals, I have to admit that I’m probably one of those guys. Most of the urinals in my life are either no-flush or automatic flush, so I’ve gotten used to walking up, doing my thing, and walking away, with nary a touch to the fixture. I’ve also gotten to the point where I’ll flail my hands in a public sink, expecting the faucet to be automatic.

It’s been a while since I’ve done anything math related but a properly built urinal should be somewhat parabolic, which would result in all the splash getting directed to the same spot (the focus I think is what it’s called).

If the water’s already yellow when I get to it, then I’ll piss and not flush it, on the rational that it was already gross when I got there so I might as well maintain the status quo and save water.

If I piss into a clean bowl in a public place, I’ll usually flush it… but why am I pissing into a commode anyway?

That’s not theater etiquette, that’s the gay seat. I hate the gay seat; it’s a ridiculous practice. If the theater’s empty or mostly empty, go for it, if only because then you each get two armrests…otherwise, suck it up and sit next to him already.

I didn’t say it wasn’t ridiculous. It’s just as ridiculous as having a bathroom full of urinals where at best only 50% can be used at any one time.