Men's underwear, fly or no fly, take 2

Right now I am wearing both a pair of boxers and a pair of briefs (seriously) and I prefer to sit down.

No idea what to vote for. Can I have an option all to myself?

I think you need a bathroom all to yourself.

If you’re already going through the trouser fly and the underwear fly is right there on the same plane, why reach up to the waistband through the trouser fly to yank your gonch down? This just seems like an opportunity for the elastic to pull your business up and into your zipper if you aren’t sufficiently careful and that is NOT a pleasant experience. More work, more risk, no improved payoff. Makes no sense to me.

That’s also an option for briefs. Actually, it seems like that would be more of an option for briefs than boxers.

Yeah, that is what I do. I thought it would be the most common.

I am utterly astonished. It would never have occurred to me to go anywhere but through the fly (I wear briefs). I could not have imagined what a minority I am in.

Now, when I am wearing a bathing suit, there is no fly. I just pull the leg to the left and pee through the right leg hole. Easier than pulling the suit down and being careful to miss it.

I think my thread has made it’s point. Hell, after years of seeing it mangled, I’m just glad you got all the letters in my username in order.

Though it is interesting to see that among boxer-wearers, using the fly is the majority option.

Again, do you have boxers or briefs in mind when you ask this?

Because they’re clearly very different. So far, 71% of poll respondents who use boxers use the fly, but 81% of poll respondents who use either standard or boxer briefs go over the top.

It’s clearly silly to ask why people do or don’t use the fly, unless it’s clear which kind of underwear you’re both talking about.

This has happened to me exactly zero times, in over 50 years of going through the trouser fly but over the top of the waistband of my briefs.

Call it roughly 100,000 opportunities for this particular fail, and zero instances of its happening, without ever really giving any thought to the possibility of its happening, let alone giving any thought to its prevention.

I’d say the odds of this particular event occurring are infinitesimal.

I can admit that in forty years of (unbuckling and) pulling the waistband down, at least twice the elastic has slipped off my thumb and delivered a surprisingly strong blow to the testicles.

Still a rare occurrence, but enough of a disincentive that (if the esoteric secret of how one can simply unzip an easily withdraw the penis without first prying open the shirt-tail curtains and spending undue time trying to get into the inner fly and without abrading your junk) I would be a keen convert to through-fly peeing.
Heh. “Esoteric” - that’s a bit of a pun, that. I slay me.

I used to wear boxers and got in the habit of using the fly. When I switched to boxer-briefs, I kept using the fly. That’s what it’s there for, and I dont’ know why some people find it so difficult to use. It seems to me a lot easier than hiking down the waistband, especially if your shirt is tucked in (which mine is, at work anyway).

I have to wonder about wearing out the fly on briefs. Really? Briefs get more wear just by being sat on.

I wear briefs when I run, and this is what I do. Otherwise, boxers and pee-hole.

When I wear underwear, it’s boxers, and I go through the fly. That’s only if I’m already wearing pants. If I’m only wearing boxers- like, just moping around the house, or something- I just drop the monster through the leg hole.

Well, that was exactly where I was! And then one time when I was fiddling with this method, and finding it much more difficult than it ought to be owing to the tiny stretchy passageway one must try to force through the recalcitrant tighty whities, and I thought, WHY HAVE I BEEN DOING THIS??? The waist hole is big enough for half my body to go through, and it doesn’t require finding, why aren’t I just using it? Matter of fact, that’s the route my “male specialness” took to get into the briefs in the first place! Now I don’t see why briefs should even HAVE a fly. I mean, in effect they don’t, because it’s so difficult, but I don’t see why they should even PRETEND.

The only briefs I’ve worn with a fly are Jockey Y-fronts. When I was a wee nipper, that’s all I had. Then, wonder of wonders, coloured briefs came out! Wow! No fly though so either through the leg hole or over the top. I used to be TTLH but for many years now I have been OTT with briefs. I do have some trunks, a sort of hug fit boxer and they don’t have a fly either. It would be stupid and potentially messy to use the leg hole, so, unless you are sitting, the only option is OTT.

I wear bikini briefs which don’t have a fly so the only option is over the top. I don’t unbuckle either. Unzip, left thumb goes in and finds waistband. A flick of the wrist exposes my junk, pull it out with my right hand and I am ready to go.

The only reason I voted for over-the-top is because I predominantly wear button fly jeans, so I have to unbuckle and open from the top anyway. Whenever I do wear khakis or slacks w/a zipper, I will use the flyhole of my boxer briefs. But that is fairly rare.