Minor pit: Are men not allowed to buy sheets?

wait until mid October to buy sheets and you won’t have a problem.

Better yet, keep taking white ones to the clerk and asking if they have any w/ the eye holes already cut out.

What are all the cool kids saying these days to mean “Oh my god, you made me laugh so hard!”

beause you did.

Unless maybe you were unknowingly ripping nasty farts he entire time, I don’t understand.

Although I know a woman who came to the US from Cuba years ago. The first time she shopped for linens, she was given a nasty look. She told the clerk she needed “sheets”. She pronounced it “shits”.

Buddy, these sheets’ll take you places that Jesus won’t go.

Think I’ll head over to BBB and see if I can stir up a ruckus. I’ll post the minute I get back.

Make sure to ask for the Martha Stewart “Holy Roller” series of bedsheets (with stain guard 5000 of course).

That’s bizarre. Still, my first thought was that single men don’t buy housewares at Macy’s. They go to Target, Walmart, Kmart or some other discount store. Bed, Bath, and Beyond is also okay. But Macy’s housewares in my mind is for wedding registries and affluent stay-at-home spouses.

Earlier this year I realized that I really needed new sheets when it occurred to me that my then wife bought the ones that I had and my divorce was six years prior. I decided to treat myself to some nice ones and went to Nordstrom. They were pricey but they are damn nice sheets. The sales lady couldn’t have been nicer.

Did you wear a full length leather coat or a large rain coat? Then it must be just bad luck, of course maybe this happens to me and I just don’t notice, what do I care what silly people are doing while I shop?

I don’t understand this at all. Why did you buy the sheets? Why didn’y you say “You’re right, I don’t need these sheets” and walk away? Or (even better) make her do a return?

Does it comes with handcuffs with hot-pink boa feathers?

Macy’s has good merchandise and great sales.

This reminds me of an experience I had.

In the USA I am very comfortable around parts stores, auto parts stores, hardware stores you name it I could be assured that even if a incredulous clerk approached me my requests would assure them I was in the know enough to be part of the tribe.

I once went in to one place with my mom in the early teens, the male clerk TALKED PAST her to me! Even though she was the one that requested the part, he simply could not bring himself to talk to a …a…woman!

Anyway fast forward to me living in Trinidad, and our fridge kicks the bucket. Knowing that often it is simply the start relay that is blown and needs replacing which is a simple job for the mechanically inclined I went to the local appliance parts store. On entering the clerks are already acting funny, no problem I think of course my request will assuage them. It did not! They literally told me I should just have it professionally repaired, you don’t want to mess with start relays there is like dangerous electricity and shit. OMG are you handling me?! Are you treating me like a woman!? WTF just because I’m white and foreign, I’ll have you know!!!

Anyway yea clerks can definitely be some prejudiced mo fos.

Huh. Never experienced it. In fact I bought my latest all-in-one bedlinens set at Macy’s (I had a discount card), and there were no issues whatever. Though the associate who rang me out was a fellow male.

That was a very strange incident.

Last time I bought sheets at Bed Bath Beyond they only had them for the thick mattresses that are such a fad right now. :mad: I hate those bloated 20 inch thick mattresses.

I had a heck of a time finding a fitted sheet for a standard 20 yr old mattress.

That doesn’t change the fact that it’s not where one expects a single man to buy housewares.

Waitaminnit. OP tells us that the first (older) clerk glared at him, and the other shoppers and their kids glared at him.

And he tells us that the cash registers clerk asked a lot of stupid and inappropriate prying questions, but he doesn’t mention if she also glared at him. This could be a significant detail! Was the cash register clerk anywhere near your own age?

Maybe by asking those prying questions, she was attempting (clumsily, to be sure) to ascertain your… availability!

She was hitting on you, dude!

Possible? Maybe?

(ETA: Srsly, kinda-sorta. I never woulda thunk to ask a female cash register clerk similar prying questions to determine her availability, but I saw it suggested many years ago. IIRC, it was suggested in the book “How To Find And Fascinate a Mistress” by “M”.)

Maybe she felt all the sleep masks they carried were of poor quality and thought she was doing customers a favor by warning them away.

I spent my 7 months of working at Blockbuster doing this exact thing w/ the Woody Harrelson movie, ‘Kingpin’ and couples on a date. “Put that down and just walk away. Go get another movie, I think there’s a copy of ‘Chasing Amy’ or ‘Army of Darkness’ out there. Here, I’ll pay for it myself.”

Are you sure you weren’t “accidentally” in the Lingerie department?

LOL, this thread ended up getting way more replies than I expected.

Look, I was wearing my nicest trenchcoat and was only masturbating in-store a LITTLE BIT! …kidding.

Seriously, I don’t believe I’m a creepy looking guy. At the time I was wearing boat shoes, khaki shorts, a button-down short-sleeve shirt (with undershirt.) I’m early 30s, professionally employed, and if anything a bit nerdy looking (big chunky glasses.) No tattoos, no piercings. None of my female friends (most of whom have children) have ever told me “Hey, guy, you give a creepy vibe” or anything to that manner.

This was a minor pit in that, yeah, I feel a bit uneasy when as a single man I shop places that normally only a woman, or a couple would shop. This particular place (“bed/bath” in a department store) was a bit worse than usual in that they all viewed me with suspicion.

On the plus side, I broke in the new bedding last night. The new sheets are nice; the new pillows are heaven. So nice not to have to lay my head on a lumpy, busted old pillow.

TMI, dude!