Modern Family 11/17/10

We watched this episode for the 3rd time last night and still cracked up all the way through. Gloria’s accent can be so heavy at times that until I read it here I hadn’t caught the “unbutton your shirt” with the gun part.

MGYG and Halloween are two of our favorite episodes so far. I’m just sorry we didn’t get hooked on the show earlier in the season. It is nicely paired with Cougar Town too, that makes for a good hour of solid entertainment.

Dopers are agreeing with this - and I do, too; it was hilarious - but I haven’t seen any comments about the dichotomy of the two cars. Claire/Julie Bowen is grousing about how she is not the fun parent - and Luke the son totally agrees - while the girls are griping about Dad’s idea of fun, but end up in tears because they are so keyed into Phil’s commitment to the family and having fun.

That rings so true - the fun parent and the uptight parent and all of the complications that go along with that…and it was hilarious.

Luke: Dad’s like crazy fun. You’re nice though.

Claire: Oh, I’m nice???

Luke: Well, not now. :cool:
Phil’s car is the “cone of truth”
“You cheated on me with choreography, which is the worst kind of cheating”

Hilarious episode

I definitely agree. “Cougar Town” is a very fun show, as well.

That was my favorite line of the episode. I love this show.

I hated CougarTown when it first started, but I have found myself actually hanging around and watching it the past few times it has been on. I may even have laughed once or twice. I’m not sure if it has improved, my standards have been lowered, or I’m just always on a high from Modern Family.

BTW, did anyone else want to shoot themselves last week when Modern Family wasn’t on? I texted my husband from the train when I read it was going to be pre-empted, that’s how distraught I was.

Another excellent one-liner, which for me is waht Modern Family (and 99% of other sitcoms) is all about. The story arc is usually unimportant, but to hear a couple of random great lines each episode is what keeps me watching…

Re: the flash mob- it appeared to me that Mitchell- or maybe JT Ferguson- was the worst dancer in the group. I don’t know if it was intentional to show that Mitchell isn’t the kind of guy who be a natural dancer, which made it so special that he did something spontaneous for Cam, or if it’s that JTF just doesn’t move that well. I was just wondering if anyone else noticed that.

I’d assume the easiest way to film a flash mob like that is to hire pro dancers, since they’ll be able to pick up the steps the easiest & quickest. The actor being the worst dancer in the group is just a natural consequence of that.

It made my pants seem smaller, that’s for sure.

Anyone else catch Phil quoting Omar Little from “The Wire?”
“You come at the king, you *best *not miss.”

I love this show for many reasons, but perhaps foremost is what a revelation Sofia Vergara has been as a comic actress. I just assumed she was there for eye-candy, and to be the butt of jokes about the foreigner with the accent who has trouble adapting to American culture. Kudos to the writers for making her character completely three-dimensional (as well as to Ms. Vergara for being so three-dimensional :)), and to the actress for playing so well as part of a great ensemble.

I had the same reaction to Tricia Helfer in Battlestar Galactica - she turned out to be a much better actress than I had any reason to expect she would be.

I used to be in the Julie-Bowen-is-hotter camp, until the episode where they all went on vacation and we saw Bowen in a bikini. She’s got a terrible pair of implants, and that just turns me right off. Call me shallow, but there you go.

I noticed the bad implants, too. Yikes.

So last night I went to a gala to benefit the Film Commission of Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky. One of the items auctioned off was for 4 people to go visit the set of “Modern Family.” I think it went for around $4,000. No hotel/airfare was included.

Just FYI.

I really dislike flashback episodes. The one last season at the hospital is probably my least favorite.

“So what is it? Boys, bodies are changing, eggs?”

Eggs!

And Luke’s reaction to being told that his parents were splitting up was pretty calm.

Were all four driving brand-new variations of the same make and model of car? (Ford?)

Just looked on Hulu…I don’t think so…the only logo that was even visible (and it wasn’t clear in the first place) was on the minivan Julie Bowen’s character was driving. Looked to be a Toyota logo to me. I’m not enough of a car geek to recognize any of the other cars (two sedans and a crossover). Did not appear to be a piece of car product placement (Burn Notice has been pretty brutal in this regard for the past season).

The vehicles were:

Toyota Highlander with Gloria, Jay, and Manny
Toyota Sienna, with Claire and Luke
Cadillac CTS, with Phil, Haley, and Alex
Buick Regal, with Cameron and Mitchell

Does anyone know what Lily’s last name is?

Mitchell’s awkward dancing is what made it so funny. It was really out of character for him to be “spontaneous”, but he’s not a natural dancer, either, so it was a real stretch for his character to participate. Cam’s halfhearted attempts to join in were just as bad.