Monthly Photo Competition #9 - August 2023 - “Home”

This is the monthly thread for August 2023. The topic this month is “Home”, chosen by @Scougs

Please note:

1. The general rules for the competition are here.

2. One entry per person per month. To make the photos easier to review (and to make the voting poll easier to compile) please only post once to this thread, with your entry. Your post can include a caption with whatever info you want to give.

3. Please keep all discussion in the rolling discussion thread.

4. Once the submission deadline has passed, I’ll put a voting poll in this thread.

Dates:

Submission deadline: 9pm UK time on Friday 25th August

Voting deadline: 9pm UK time on Wednesday 30th August

Good luck!

Don’t come around here no more

Imgur

I shot this in early July, in Connecticut.

Wintertime lacy front window.

lacey front window.jpg by j_person

This is the lighthouse at Pointe au Baril in Georgian Bay, taken during one of my many boat cruises in the area, and it was indeed home for 29 years to a lady named Emmaline Madigan

Emmaline was 17 when she started her life there. She married the lighthouse keeper and raised six kids there. After her husband’s death in 1977, she took over his duties and became the new lighthouse keeper. After living at the lighthouse for 29 years, she was forced to leave her post in the fall of 1983 when the Canadian Coast Guard automated the light and boarded up the house.

In 2000, the Pointe au Baril Islanders Association and the Township of The Archipelago asked Emmaline and her partner, Bill Pugsley, to return to the lighthouse, to live and work during the summer months as local historians and museum curator. Emmaline was thrilled to accept, saying that she never thought she’d ever be given the opportunity to be "home again”.

Imgur

I’ve lived all my life in Edinburgh, and sometimes it still startles me that this sits in the middle of the city I call home. I’m going about the mundane routine of life - buying new underwear, or meeting a friend for dinner (which I was last night when I took this) - and there’s Edinburgh Castle, just sitting there being generally magnificent. It was the dress rehearsal for the Military Tattoo last night, hence the flaming braziers along the left hand battlement.

Home is where the kitchen is:

When people ask me “where is home?” I don’t reply with my street address.
I say I’m from Arizona, and that is where I took this panorama on Thursday:
Try to view full-size (which is actually only 1/4 of the full resolution of the pano).

Home is, obviously, wherever the kids are.

Imgur

Home. Thanksgiving 2022.

Our home? Or a picture say from our deck?

The themes are intentionally open to interpretation.

mmm

ETA: Oops, sorry, assumed this was the discussion thread

This one is entitled “Make Yourself at Home”.

It’s my nephew. Whenever he comes to my house, he builds towers with empty VCR cases, then knocks down the towers by throwing stuffed Angry Birds (foreground.) He has been doing this since before he could talk (or throw!). It’s the only reason I keep these antique VCR cases.

Home is where you can spend the afternoon relaxing on the couch in the sunbeams.

Google Photos

Leave your shoes outside. This young lady posed for me in the doorway of her home in a small village in Rajastan, India.

Imgur

Well, somebody called it home at some point.

Imgur

Living room windows.
Imgur

Home is where you sleep with your best friend:

I think I’ll go to the archives for this one …

Hollow log used as a (presumably seasonal) residence by Hale Tharp, pioneer cattle rancher in what is now Sequoia National Park.

Keep the Home Fires Burning

Taken from the old city wall in Derry, Northern Ireland (Or Londonderry, depending on one’s politics).

Imgur