Movies you never saw and only remember details from the Mad Magazine Parody

I’ve never seen the parody, but I thought the movie was fine. Kinda sad. Not a story just about losing your virginity to an older woman, but a tale of growing up and lost friendships. Supposedly it really happened to the author. Nice theme song.

I have, however, seen The Summer of 4’2".

The other day an old country song came on about losing ones virginity to an older woman, it wasnt the usual suspects like “Summer-the First Time”, but contained the usual tropes about “You’ll be a man after tonight”…but it got me wondering, “Did this happen a lot back in the day?? WTF”…Summer of 42 was one of the examples that came to mind. Though that movie avoids the usual tropes.

This was on one of the vintage movie channels a year or two ago. The name rang a vague bell, so I watched the last fifteen minutes or so. Then I read the Wikipedia summary to figure out what the heck it was about.

I saw the parodies of The Caine Mutiny and Outland before I saw the originals.

I still haven’t seen Cool Hand Luke or Ordinary People.

“What kind of soup is this?”
“It’s magic soup: hot enough to burn your hands, but not hot enough to melt those flimsy bags of drugs.”

“War is Hell (On the Homefront Too)”

I doubt I’d seen a single movie they parodied before I read the MAD version. I only got to read MAD in the barbershop, and I was in grade school then. So all the films were too adult and boring for me.

Once, laughing at a line in MAD, I thought “I bet this is bunches better than the real movie!”

The Little Big Man parody… I can’t recall what MAD did to the title, but I recall the actor was billed as Dustbin Hoffman :slight_smile:

Never seen the actual flick.

That might have been it.

I’ve seen most of the more recent films they did, but a lot of the movies they parodied when I was young were actually movies for adults (so much for Mad being a kid’s magazine)

Some have been mentioned already

The Sandpiper
Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice
Cool Hand Luke

The Carpetsweeper (The Carpetbaggers) – can’t recall anything from the parody
Midnight Wowboy (Midnight Cowboy) – same
Sleazy Rider (Easy Rider) – all the other people on quests, including Bob Hope and Bing Crosby
Who in Heck is Virginia Woolf? (Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?) – Gave away the ending, so it ruined the play for me in college.
Hoo Boy Columbus (Goodbye Columbus) – Hollywood is always looking for a new face
Shmoe (Joe) – Time to clean the dishes (paper plates). You scrape and I’ll erase
Five Easy Pages (Five easy Pieces)
The Fowl and the Prissy Cat (The Owl and the Pussy Cat) – Doesn’t every intellectual in New York have a skeleton suit?

‘Butch Cassidy & the Somedunce Kid’

Nuh-uh! It was “Botch Casually & the Somedunce Kid”!

I have watched most of the films that were featured in the “Mad movie satires” back in the days when I read that magazine. I can recall two films that I haven’t seen, other than individual scenes:

• “The Untouchables” (I may bother to watch the whole movie one day)

• “Aladdin” (I did, however, see “Beauty and the Beast”, which was paired with the former in the movie satire of c. May 1993 issue of “Mad”).

“East Side Story,” from my uncle’s 1963 issue. It’s geopolitical parodies of West Side Story songs, sung by world leaders like Khrushchev — the UN headquarters is on the east side of Manhattan.

I read it when I was about ten, but didn’t encounter West Side Story until college.

Mad did a piece that proposed a stage musical about famous movie monsters, including one song called Acting Supernaturally, which I still remember the words to.

Since whenever Mad did song parodies they would tend to base them on old show tunes that your parents might know but the average Mad consuming kid would not be familiar with (in this case it was “Doin’ What Comes Natirally” from Annie Get Your Gun) I often had to make up my own tune, and at least this time the tune I imagined was a lot better than the actual one when I finally heard it.

In Mad’s version of Paper Moon, at some point Addie (Tatum O’Neal’s character) has to sing something, and she starts with “roll me over in the clover…”. I remember it was clear from the context that the song was rather bawdy, and not what anyone was expecting from a sweet, young girl. It wasn’t until the World’s Fair in '86 that I heard the actual song, and had a melody to put with the lyrics.

I too did this, with “On the Street Where You Live”. I never heard the actual melody until Mad Men used it a few years ago.

Parodies based on older songs was part of what made Mad valuable: kids ended up learning about things we never would have sat still for in a classroom.

In the early 196s, Mad ultimately won a landmark case which helped establish the right to parody popular songs.

For me, it was the song “Show Me”, also from My Fair Lady. It was parodied as “Snow Me” in Mad, and as a kid I didn’t know what that phrase meant.

I remember reading “Serpicool” as a kid, and finally saw ‘Serpico’ a few years ago for the first time.

I still sing the lyrics to The $ound of Money. Didn’t see the actual movie until the late 90s.

Beat me to it! I was going to cite precisely the same scene:

ALI McGRAW: (Completely naked) I don’t know if I should be doing so many nude scenes. After all, it is my first movie.

DICK BENJAMIN: Don’t worry. Hollywood is.always looking for a fresh new face!

The bride in The Heartbreak Kid may have been made up to look “shleppy” (she may even have been directed to act that way), but she’s far from that in real life. She was played by Jeannie Berlin, who was gorgeous back in the '70s. (I saw her in an episode of Columbo and couldn’t believe she was the same woman.)

Going just by Cybill Shepherd’s nude scene in The Last Picture Show, there’s no way I would have thrown Jeannie over for her.