Multi-quote

How do you quote more than one post in the same reply?

like that?

<QUOTE=11811>How do you quote more than one post in the same reply?</QUOTE>

<QUOTE=someone else>blah blah blah</QUOTE>

or like this?

<quote=clever person> what nitwit says something this dumb?<QUOTE=someone else>blah blah blah</QUOTE></quote></code>
just replace the <> with

I wish the reply button would nest quotes. I also wish I were young and handsome.

<QUOTE=someone else>blah blah blah</QUOTE>

You aren’t the only one. I wish you were young and handsome too. :wink:

I want you both to know, in a world where you’re just “pixels on a screen,” you’re both young and handsome to me.

I am too, right?

It used to be able to do that, years ago. I have no idea if you were handsome then.

<QUOTE=Tapioca Dextrin/like that?</QUOTE>

<QUOTE=11811>How do you quote more than one post in the same reply?</QUOTE>

<QUOTE=Liberal>I wish the reply button would nest quotes. I also wish I were young and handsome.</QUOTE>

What did I just do wrong?

Swap out the <> symbols with (facing the appropriate direction) and try again.

You can test it on preview to see if it works.

The SDMB doesn’t run pure HTML, the <> tags are replaced by [ and ] respectively.

E.g. <quote>Blatherblatherblather</quote>

should be

[ quote]Blatherblatherblather
[/quote]

The effect being

I can’t recall the function for inserting the author’s name off the top of my head, though. If you want to quote parts (or seperate points) of another person’s post, just close off the quote in your post at the right places, then copy and paste the original quote tag. That’s what I do, anyway.

If you click the Reply button within the post you want to quote (as opposed to the Post Reply button at the top or bottom of the thread), it automatically inserts that poster’s name in the quote tag (and quotes the entire post). Otherwise, add “=posterName” after the word QUOTE in the start tag to do it manually:

<QUOTE=Gukumatz> (as opposed to just <QUOTE>).

Of course, use for < > as stated above.

The fast way is to hit the Reply button within the first post you want to quote, copy the text that produces and paste it into a blank text editor, like notepad. Then go back without submitting anything and hit Reply inside the next post you want to quote, and copy that text over to your editor. Repeat as necessary, and when you’ve assembled your entire reply, post that.

I remember that, and I can say with some certainty that we were all younger.

The sad thing is that that’s the easy way.

Well, maybe you guys were.

TPTB could add a “quote multiple post” button, but that might require an upgrade to 3.6.7.

I was so much older then, I’m younger than that now.