My Bitch Neighbor Keyed My Car!

Hello all,

I posted a thread a couple of months ago about my neighbor having my car towed because I parked in her assigned spot in my apartment complex.

I parked too close to the driver side of her car Friday night & she keyed my car!
Not just a little scratch.

A five-foot scratch on the driver side of my car from one end to the other & two deep gouges on the passenger side.
She tore it up.
I didn’t see her, but I know she did it, because I saw it Saturday morning (and there’s NO way to miss it).

Is there anything I can do? Even though I didn’t see her do it?
I love my car & I still owe $17k on it.
She shouldn’t be able to damage my property.

I’ve been VERY calm. I haven’t done nothing in retaliation & I never touched her car ever.

I don’t think legally you have any recourse, unless there’s video monitoring, or if you can find a witness. I know what I’d probably do, but I’m evil.

Well, since you didn’t see her do it, you don’t actually know she’s the one who did it. You suspect her of doing it.

I’d say one thing you could do is to not park in her place and not park too close to her car (I’m guessing that you meant you were either right on the parking space line or maybe even over it).

Or the two of you could get together and have a nice calm talk about why you’re trying to get this all headed to court over something that’s basicallly silly.

Hello all,

I posted a thread a couple of months ago about my neighbor having my car towed because I parked in her assigned spot in my apartment complex.

I parked too close to the driver side of her car Friday night & she keyed my car!
Not just a little scratch.

A five-foot scratch on the driver side of my car from one end to the other & two deep gouges on the passenger side.
She tore it up.
I didn’t see her, but I know she did it, because I saw it Saturday morning (and there’s NO way to miss it).

Is there anything I can do? Even though I didn’t see her do it?
I love my car & I still owe $17k on it.
She shouldn’t be able to damage my property.

I’ve been VERY calm. I haven’t done a damn thing yet & I never touched her car.

Do the old stick a banana in the exhaust of her car. Do this every day when she isn’t looking.

Summer’s coming - many ppl leave their windows cracked when parking, and sardines are very small…

Summer’s coming - many ppl leave their windows cracked when parking, and sardines are very small…

Aw shit, double post… sorry - kept getting error messages.

Well, Monty–

There’s always some Doper that chimes in, “You know, this is really your fault.”

I shouldn’t have parked in her spot. I think she was overreacting by having my car towed & not leaving a note on my car or knocking on my door, but never mind.

And I do enjoy not having a criminal record.

However (and you knew this was coming)
(1) I was not parked over the line and
(2) I have never touched her car in any way.

So how is my car getting keyed my fault?
(And based on my previous experiences with her & having seen her tattooed boyfriend sitting around on the apartment steps smoking with his shirt off I am not approaching her. Don’t know that that would be a good idea.)

I’ve merged this thread with a duplicate, so if it’s not exactly what you remembered, that’s why.

Lynn

Gee, I hope that karma still works…

You know, years ago I was doing jury duty - yep, it doesn’t get any more civil service than that I guess - and believe it or not, this 20 year old BMW 3 series which had been in the family since new (but was now no longer worth all that much even though it was in terrific condition) - well, someone decided to key my car - all over the trunk and down the left side.

I looked around and there were no other cars nearby. There were none near my car in the morning. And I was parked in the offical Courthouse car park! Go figure?

Anyways… man… that car was jinxed. I was rear ended not once, but TWICE in the space of 3 months in the year prior to that keying incident, and later that Christmas, the car was vandalised while on holidays with white spray paint and metal acid on the alloy wheels.

Far out… talk about a car getting jinxed and targeted in it’s lifetime… amazing.

But I never once came close to catching the vandals who did the nasty stuff. So I just used the car as a work car and eventually I gave it to the car wreckers… I wasn’t concerned all that much… I also owned a lovely Lexus which thankfully, doesn’t seem to attract ANY attention whatsoever…

So, all I can say is this… I figure I got my karma for being an asshole to someone else in my life… either that, or someone went out of their way to be an asshole to me and they’ll get THEIR karma… I honestly choose to look at things that way. It prevents me from going around the twist! :smiley:

Well, now, let’s read Monty’s post together:

Summary by paragraph:

You don’t have irrefutable proof your neighbor keyed your car.
In tn the future, be careful where you park.
Why don’t you and your neighbor talk things over, lest the situation becomes really ugly?

So exactly where did he say it was your fault your car got keyed?

Where the fuck did I say it was your fault?

You fucking asked for some fucking advice and I gave you some fucking good advice.

BTW, you don’t know your nieghbour keyed your fucking car. You fucking suspect it.

And Audrey’s posting appears after I hit submit! Hers is the same point made without the emphasis I provided.

My neighbor inserted that odd ‘tn’ in my summary’s second sentence.

Two words:

“Appolonia, no!”

A brick through her front windshield should get your message across.

I’d park in the exact same spot, as legally close as possible, and then sit and wait with a video camera. Since the paint’s already fucked up, mebbe you can get some video evidence of a repeat performance of the crime. It won’t be the original crime, but in court, the tape will show your car being keyed. As has been stated earlier, without hard evidence, you’re pretty much screwed.

I agree with roadrunner70. Get some hard evidence of your neighbour damaging your car and you can press charges. It is your neighbour’s fault for not trying to work out a peaceable resolution. Sure you parked in her spot. Oops. No need to damage a car.

If you’re not so keen on sitting there with a video camera, there are mini spy cameras that you can put in your car in order to record any activity. If you’re interested in something like that, email me (addy in profile). I work for a website that sells that kind of stuff and can help you find what you’re looking for.

I called the cops on Saturday when a kid keyed my car. I can’t prove he was the one to do it, but the reason I reported it was to get it on record in case he did it to others. He was pissed off because I told him to get lost and slammed the front door in his face when he came by trying to sell stuff (he rang the doorbell three times and pounded on the door; I ran to it thinking someone had an emergency, so I was pissed when I saw this snot-nosed kid selling candy).