My dog died today

For the past month he’s been getting worse and worse. He started bleeding from his mouth a few weeks ago. We took him to the vet, who said it was a tumor in his throat and that he wouldn’t be able to survive the operation to remove it. Because of it he couldn’t drink from his bowl anymore, but that wasn’t so bad because he could easily get to the creek and drink from there. Then he started being unable to eat from his bowl, to the point of Mom having to cook scrambled eggs and the like just for him. We were being selfish by not putting him down.

He got thinner and thinner. We could easily feel his entire backbone. He started to lose his ability to see. He bumped into doors and walls, and fell down the front steps twice, though was not hurt.

Finally mom and dad agreed to put him down. Mom put him in her car, and petted him the whole way to the vet. When she went to take him out, she saw that he had already died on the way. :frowning:

Dad dug a whole near the creek to bury him in. We put him in a tub wrapped in a couple of blankets and wrote his birth and death date on the lid.

Bye, Olliver. We’ll never forget you.

((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))

I’m so very sorry. Poor thing. He is in peace right now…and I’m sure he’s looking down on you from Dog Heaven and thankful for a good life on this Earth.

Again, I’m so sorry. It is like losing a family member.

Prayers for you and your family…

I know the feeling. The loss of a loyal friend. What a tender burial. Condolences and hugs.

I take the loss of a pet harder than that of a relative sometimes. I guess it’s because a pet looks up to you, needs you, admires you no matter how badly you screw up. I wasn’t with either of my previous dogs when they finally passed and I regret letting them die alone. Olliver died the only way a dog ought to: being gently pet in the lap of a loving owner.

Good on all of you.

Anubis I am so sorry for your loss. Pets are cherished friends as well as family members and losing them hurts. He had a good life and is in a happy place right now.

Oh man. Very sad, but Oliver was so lucky to have gone with the company of someone he loved so much- we should all be so lucky. RIP.

My condolescences also, Anubis. It sounds like you guys gave him a good life and he knew he was loved.

What more could anyone do?

I’m sorry to hear of your loss. I know how it feels to lose a dog. I hope you have plenty of good memories once the initial shock has passed.

i’m so sorry. there is nothing like the love of a dog.

{{{Anubis}}}

Having just lost my dog last month, I know what you’re going through.

Going out in the arms of someone who loves you. It’s weird that something so sad could be so beautiful. Anubis, I’m sorry for your loss. May you have good memories.

I’d also like to extend my heartfelt condolences. I can’t imagine my grief if I should lose my dog.

I’m sorry. A dog is like a member of the family.

I don’t know you, but deepest sympathies from a fellow dog lover.

I’m sorry, Anubis. :sad:

Our Miss Emily also died in the car, in the arms of the person she loved best. That was an awful day. But we had given her a good life. And so did you.

I’m so sorry. I get weepy over a pet fish dying sometimes (I breed bettas). I can’t imagine how I’ll feel when my cat and dog go.

I’m glad to hear that he died peacefully. Poor baby.