My father is mad at me because of the fact that I listen to a song praising A. Hitler

I don’t think the OP is trolling us. I used to have a Turkish internet friend who spoke English as a 2nd language, and the OP’s wording isn’t inauthentic. But I don’t think that Qin meant trolling as in, the OP is trolling the SDMB with a story he made up for turds and chuckles. I think he meant it as in, the OP is telling the truth here about the times when he has trolled his father in real life.

If I’m wrong, I’ll stuff it.

Thank you, that’s what I meant along with him saying explicitly he was showing the songs to annoy people. :slight_smile:

Yeah right. It has nothing to do with being antagonistic and an attention whore.

Gee I can’t imagine why. :rolleyes:

No, obviously you don’t.

Yeah what’s with fathers caring about what their sons do?

Sorry but wow do you have a lot of growing up to do.

LOL

You really don’t know much about America. Irresponsibility and coddling is all the rage.

:smack: As I say…a LOT of growing up to do. I sure hope you do it before you become a father.

If you were my kid I’d probably shoot you and start over, wondering where the heck I went wrong.

OK I’m exaggerating. A little.

Meh, those Landser guys are kind of boring. Yes, I clicked the link.

What did Alois do wrong?

So the op is self aware enough to recognize that he is listening and sharing this particular music mainly for its provocative potential but was not expecting his father, who loves him, to be very upset that his son was provoking others for the sake of provoking them and choosing to do in a most offensive way?

Okay.

To our op: There are lots of ways to stand out in this world. One way is to work for justice. Is there anything going on in your society that you believe is unjust? Is there a way that you can make a reputation for yourself by helping work to address those injustices, in a way that does not place you at serious risk of harm and that does not harm others? Rest assured doing such will provoke many and it comes with the plus that it will also result in you eventually hanging out with a better class of social misfits.

To our parent posters: At what point of antisociality would you comment or intervene on the recreational tastes and public identity of your 19 year old financially dependent emerging adult child? NeoNazi music is easy, but what if your kid played the “Gays should be locked up” sermons and shared them on line? How far does it have to go? Does that differ in different cultures and in different subgroups?

The person who said that about David Allen Coe wasn’t the OP. Read more carefully before you do whatever it is that you do when you post.

Once again, where the goddamn “like” button?

It depends. My dad is a classic Baby Boomer, and back in the day he was always interested in learning what music I was listening to. We’d even watch MTV together, back when MTV had music (well, I’d watch - he’d sit and read a book, stopping to drop the occasional remark).

Oy. Don’t join some skinhead gang, please. Tribalism and racism are common responses to the fear of scarcity, but they don’t address its causes directly.

Am I going to be “the man”?

In some ways, I doubt that.

Of a surety.

This sounds hard-hearted. Because if my cerebral cortex has not developed as it should should, it is not my mistake. What you do by getting angry at my state of being awkward-responser to the mean and humiliating me because of it is no different than beating a handicapped person.

Why should I choose a productive way? The state of its being" productive" is your definition.

What I do in this forum is not trolling. You might consider what I do by sharing that music trolling.

Hilarious. Not because you are completely mistaken but because you are so certain. Do you ever question yourself?

Those who think like you cannot get the general idea. It is my mistake that I have been regarded as a teenager who likes to listen to hitler music in order to challenge authority. What I was trying to get at was completely different. I do no try to explain it anymore in this thread since I am sick and tired.

Are you only angry at the fact that I listen to this music? All this anger in your post… Why?

Try reading some Buddhist philosophy, particularly about the Eightfold Noble Path. If you are really concerned about your fathers reaction and how you are involved, this read can shed some light.
Otherwise, sounds like you need some attention.

Good Luck!

Okay, the song linked sucked, but pretty much every film snob out there agrees that Triumph of the Will is an excellent work of filmmaking. I believe the standard line for both Triumph of the Will and Birth of a Nation is that they’re “excellent films that argue for evil.”

So yes, quite a lot of people can see something for the art and vehemently disagree with the message. Granted film snobs probably don’t qualify as “most people.”

I can see myself appreciating the Triumph of the Will. I just can’t see myself enjoying it.

Have you actually watched “Triumph of the Will”? I have. It’s two hours of people marching and listening to speeches. It may be a triumph of propaganda, but no one is going to watch it for the purpose of entertainment.

Oh, lord yes, I agree completely. I recognize the good cinematography, staging, editing, and all the other pieces that make it great for its intended purpose (which is why it gets praised to much), but if you were to put it in a theater and show it to people, they’d be bored out of their minds (like I was when I had to watch it!).

ETA: For the OP, here’s more fodder for you to appreciate.

Then what is chowder? I’m confused.

Well, as long as it is just “a” Hitler, and not “the” Hitler, I think your Dad is overreacting.

First, I am a big fan of music in general. I once worked for a show that interviewed bands.

Being a fan of music, I understand that there are people who just like a catchy tune, and those who really get into the background of music. My wife hears a song, and likes it. She couldnt tell you who sang it, who wrote it, or the message.

That being said, there are others who do pay attention to lyrics and story in the music, and the songs you enjoy can project a perception about you. An example of this was the little feud between Neil Young and Lynyrd Skynyrd. Essentially, Young called people of the south bigots. Skynyrds response essentially was, I dont care what you think. I personally love the song, even though it was thumbing their nose at Youngs accusation. People who understand the background call me a racist. Skynyrd is one of my absolute favorite bands. JMHO, the bigotry doesnt change the fact that the music is incredible.

You cannot change these perceptions. It will reflect on you, that is human nature, right or wrong. When you involve someone who is arguably one of the most brutal and evil figure in history, you are going to touch a lot of nerves.

Look hard at these two sentences. When you figure out why they don’t go together, you’ll have a clue, as to whom is in the wrong here.

Grow up a little bit. You want attention, do something admirable instead of something obnoxious. You’re too young to know where you’ll, be in the world, in the future. Posting Hitler admiring links on your Facebook is an incredibly ill advised thing to do. It’s kind of out there forever.

Never forget; Everything you’re ever going to be, in the future, you’re currently in the process of becoming.

What do your actions say about the person you’re becoming? Bit of an attention whoring jerk, maybe? You sure that’s who you want to become? Are these really traits worth pursuing? The muscles you use, are the ones that grow stronger, choose carefully.

Give it some thought, is all I’m saying, you seem a clever enough young man to work it out, I think.

That’s only a problem if you think that morality and leisure are somehow one and the same. Making someone angry because what they are doing is wrong is not the same thing as enjoying making people angry.

If this is the way you guys think, no wonder so many people get frustrated at me. My ethics have nothing to do with what I enjoy. They are solely about what is right.

And, seriously, if bad people hate you, why in the world should you care? If anything, that’s an indication that you are a good person.