My First Post - What Do I Need To Know?

Welcome Oodle, does the familiarity with Dennis Glover mean there’s an addition to the flock of Kiwis on the board?

I’m feeling much friendlier this morning.

So my tip: don’t talk about tips!

You blew it. Now you must pay the ultimate price.

Serious tips -

• We don’t like excessive smileys and lots of “lols” here. This isn’t The Rest of The Internet.
  • Don’t give old-timers too much respect. They’re as full of shit as anyone else.
  • Don’t be too concerned if it seems like no one notices you or comments on your posts for quite a while (like, say, eight years :wink: ). People do notice and like posts, but don’t always post recognition. Post for yourself, not for anyone else’s validation.
  • You’ll probably find some of your sacred cows challenged here. If you’re too fragile for that, you probably won’t like it here. In fact, you’ll probably discover you have sacred cows you didn’t even know you had.

Less serious tip:

• Open threads on taking your shoes off in the house, ordering milk in a bar, or declawing cats/letting cats roam free at your own peril!

That said, welcome! Have fun! Don’t take it too seriously.

Ladle.
Ladle.
Ladle.

Hi maggenpye, yes it does. I live in Kaukapakapa, northwest of Auckland. Are there many others Kiwis here? A flock of Kiwis sounds quite fun!

Hard to say how many, between lurkers and expats. We occasionally gather when there’s a thread on local music or Peter Jackson, but otherwise we’re like the beastie itself, roaming solitary through the depths of night when almost everyone else is sleeping, which can make conversations last for days.

I wish I could say *my *username came from the poem too, but it’s just twice removed from the bird itself.

[del]When starting a new topic do a quick search to make sure it hasn’t been covered already.[/del]

Welcome, QOAWD (if I may use that abbreviation.

One helpful tip, if posting in Cafe Society, it is recommended you know when and how to use spoiler boxes. It’s considered common courtesy, and other posters will appreciate you for it.

Welcome to the SDMB QuardleOodleArdleWardleDoodle
Perhaps the one thing you should know is that the deepest part of the world’s oceans is located in the Marianas Trench in the Pacific Ocean and was only visited once. Do any Dopers have any more information about this? :slight_smile:

As another New Toe Dipper/ but a long time lurker (maybe about 2+ years), I’m taking notes. But this is one that always makes me wonder when I see it in the threads. What’s this whole business with the Marianas Trench? Why do you Dopers keep mentioning it? I get the 1920’s style Death rays, the Hi Opals, and the Hal boinks sheep thing. But the Trench is the one Doper Inside Joke that eludes me.

What’s the fascination with it?

It would be interesting to know :

• when it was visited
  • for how long
  • if Opal was part of the crew (I like long standing traditions)

Maybe the OP could search for these information as an exercise?

By the way, begining by fighting back the sharks isn’t that bad. After that, you pretty much have understood how the board works. My very first post got me a full-fledged attack by ** Liberal ** on a topic I didn’t expect to be controversial. I mean, Foreign Aid cannot be a bad thing, right? I survived.

Too bad you can’t search it!

While you’re at it, can you find out who sings that song that goes: “Her name is Rio and she dances in the sand…”? For the life of me, I can’t figure it out.

Seriously, if you get the “1920s style death ray” thing, you get the rest. Same shit, different topic.

Besides, I think “Marianas Trench” was a song by Duran Duran, and it was only sung once, for twenty minutes, in the 1920s.

Glad to have you, Quardle Ordle Doodle All Day!

Is it okay if I call you that?

Before my time, but Not many people know that…

Do like us and pick a shorter username :wink:

I made you out of clay?

High on a hill was a lonely goatherd, QuardleOodleArdleWardleDoodle ee-oooo!

That ain’t clay.

Oh dear I’m late to the party. I brought mud pie though.

Okay, there’s my belly-laugh for the night! :smiley: