My Name is Earl 9/28

Y’see, this episode emphasizes why I will never take to a life of crime: the orange jumpsuit. Orange is a very trying color, and I understand they don’t let you accessorize! There is no way I am wearing a jumpsuit without a cinch belt or a kicky brooch.

It’s all in your attitude, Eve. If you wear it like its’ the most gorgeous cut and color and that you are the most gorgeous creature on the planet when you wear it and a person can pull off any outfit.

You know, I’d be willing to go to Prison and put the phone down my pants.

Borderline? What would he have to do to actually be creepy?

Eve, I have no doubt you’d look stunning in sackcloth and ashes. It’s all in the attitude.

Wow. We loved this episode. I was about to fall off the couch during Catalina and Joy’s prison phone exchange. What Spanish word did Catalina use to describe Joy’s hoo-ha? It sounded like “gojito,” but I didn’t catch it.

Once again Joy makes goofy faces that I enjoy. The freeze frame before she is about to hurl is absolutely a scream! Following it with Crabman holding her hair while she is ralphing in the buckett (You know it’s love when…) is priceless.

Still there is something about these last two episodes that feel off. I can’t put my finger on it… but something feels a little unEarlish

Does that chain count as a “cinch belt”? And they do provide the nice metal ankle bracelets.

Oh, we forgot the sweatshop that isn’t a sweatshop anymore because they have a fan! Except it’s a sweatshop again because Randy broke the fan.

Gatito.

I was afraid to google, it, but I’m glad it’s safe. Those are some nice lookin’ furry little gatitos!

I laughed my ass off several times.

I can’t decide which bits I liked more- Catalina pointing out that the actress who plays Joy has GIGANTIC eyeballs. And then Joy proceeds to make them bulge out even more when she reacts to it.

OR Randy helping Catalina stretch and saying “Let’s not talk about my mom right now.”

Seeing Catalina jump was cute but we found out last year that she actually did more than just jump. She showed Randy her moves by using a pool cue as a pole.

I forgot that in the pilot episode Catalina made a move on Earl but he backed off because Randy had dibs.

Although in the last shot, when Joy (still holding the bucket) tries to kiss Darnell, he politely turns her face away. Love does have its limits.

I’m sorry they didn’t take care of the list, but it was good to (partially) wrap-up Joy’s troubles. A fun episode (though the bed conversation about the vodka gun was the most disturbing for me).

This was the first episode I’ve ever seen and I was greatly underwhelmed myself, even though I like Jason Lee (but Jamie Pressley annoys me).

I noticed that, too.

This one crossed the line for me, and I usually love this show. But it’s more of a finger wagging, since they’ve built up enough credit in the past.

The melon smelling, the whole show-your-body-to-pay-off-a-debt, the ownership of the women Burt showed, the whole speculating and visualizing of Catalina (okay if it is fantasy, but weirder for looking forward to a sex show). It just crossed the line for me of woman-as-commodity.

I didn’t mind the bikinis or the visuals, mostly–I like to see hot women in bikinis, even as a straight woman myself. It was the context. Obviously, my opinion, my line, and if you didn’t feel that way, that’s fine.

For those of you that haven’t watched this show much, please try again; or, better yet, try to see some of Season one.

Actually I find this episode much more in line with the early episodes of season 1. It was clear that from the first 6 or so episodes the Earl world was much rougher. I think after the show became a hit they backed off and went more cartoony weird.

Remember the show is about a criminal trying to make up for the bad things he did but he still lives in that world. Joy is a criminal. Randy wanted Earl to finish his list so they can go back to stealing. It is supposed to be a base level that they are at. None of those characters would have a problem with the way Chubby treated women so why would it be brought up? Everyone’s mileage varies and what not…

That one, the Brain-Loop and the long build up for no Jump for Joy were great.

I just saw it tonight. I will not over analyze it, I just enjoyed the episode.

Jim

H.Sapiens:

Hey, good point. That might be significant: this time, instead of crossing off an item on his list, Earl was doing something good just because it was something good.

Isn’t it kind of quaint that in Earl’s little town, the strip club is where you can see women in bikinis?

If that was her actual name, would her stripper name be Hurricane Katrina? “Okay boys, prepared to be blown away!”