My Name Is Earl, Oct 11

Did anyone notice the convenience store was called QuikStop, a subtle nod to Jason Lee’s pal Kevin Smith? It looked like the same layout as the store in Clerks too.

First episode I saw & first sitcom in many years I really like.
So the first few episodes are better. I’ll be kicking myself now.

I am watching the show and I have fallen into a bad habit from "The Player’ of trying to determine the pitch.
Example 2 1/2 men: odd couple meets brat pack.
Drew Carey: Seinfeld meets Rosanne etc.

I am happy to say that My name is Earl was probably pitched as “Something original and quirky”

I like quirky.

I heard good things about this and The Office. I thought “The Office” was terrible. It actually got too bad to watch and I found “12 angry men” on TMC instead.

BTW, I did a spit take on the TV cut to H.R. Pufnstuf

Curses! I’ve been found out! And I even left out the part about how his mustache must have tickled against her cheek!

But the office mentioned Scranton by name, and not as a punchline. :smiley:

Although “cruising around Scranton”, I suppose, is a bit of a joke. Not much to cruise, unless you’re a fan of banks, bars, funeral homes, and parking lots.

Witchie Poo is seen on the TV in the pilot episode too.

Althought I knew it would be Catalina (I really want to hear how the actress speaks normaly) under the sheets with Earl I was really hoping it would be Kenny. So not only would Earl be cheating on the sweet blonde girl but also closeted Gay. That would be reason enough for her to break up with him.

And since this thread usually turns into a mini-The Office thread too and it’s already been brought up.

I liked last night’s Office but it wasn’t as strong as the first two of the season. It seemed too similar to last weeks with Jim and Pam being “in charge” of the workers and Michael and Dwight off on their own story. I liked that they used the temp alot. He’s positioned in the promos and ads and what not as being on the same level as Michael,Dwight,Jim and Pam but they hardly do anything with him.

Wasit me or did Pam’s boyfriend actually seem to be a little more likable this episode. Like he realizes that Jim is a threat and is trying to make himself more appealing to Pam.

I think the actor who plays the temp wrote the episode. Coincidence? Maybe.

What chance does The Office have if it can’t even support its own Dope Thread!?

It has to ride the coattails of Earl!

It reminds me of the old Detective Comics where Batman was the main story and Green Arrow or Martian Manhunter had the backup story.

Sad.

I thought it was a great episode.

I really related to the creepy girl character – reminds me of a couple of girls I’ve known. One was in her early twenties and actually did have a bedroom full of stuffed animals and relate that way most of the time – another was mature and acted normal most of the time but often lapsed into infantilism from time to time.

The part that got me the most was “I’ve got a crazy woman wiping her nose on me.” What the hell is up with that behaviour? How does it spread? How the hell are you supposed to react to that crap?

The creepy girl reminded me very much of my sister. :eek:

I’ve done the nose thing myself, but only to pets, babies, and my husband once we were firmly entrenched in our relationship. I always heard it called an Eskimo kiss.

There are several great and/or highly rated shows that recieve little regard on the 'Dope.
When was the last time you saw a “Two and A Half Men” thread? :stuck_out_tongue:

When she sprang up her coffin and grabbed Earl’s wrist, did anyone else think, “GOTCHA YA?”

Way better than last week. I’m surprised people didn’t like it. I laughed out loud at most of the bits.

What I don’t like about this show is that it somehow believes it’s not a regular TV show, but 20 minutes of musical montage. The music never shuts up and clogs a show that should really just rely on its dialogue and visual gags. Also, if it were possible for the writers to crank up the cynicism a bit it would do wonders for Earl.

This was the best episode so far. Loved the “Quickstop” references. You could almost hear Cohee Lundin saying “Alyssa Jones, I knew Alyssa Jones.”

They seem to have finally figured out how to do fun stuff with Ethan “Can you make it out to ‘your biggest fan’?” Suplee.

Not having JP in it was also a plus.

Oh, has anybody checked to see if the rat catcher is full lately?

People mention Catalina in her bikini, but didn’t anyone notice her leaning over the pool table…

Makes me want to stay in a cheap motel…

I enjoyed it, but also didn’t think it was a strong as the others. I actually missed Crab Man more than Joy.

I mean Joy is cuter, but Crab Man is funnier and we had Catalina to make up for the missing hotness.

Huh? I just rewatched last nights episode… I have no clue what are you talking about in terms of endless music. It uses background music appropriately.

And cynicism? That’s not at all what the show is going for. It’s ANTI-cynicism. The entire premise is “Do good things and good things will happen to you.”

Personally, I think it’s pushing it.

I’m not talking about the show’s ideological premise, but of the way it is written. I could do without a couple of “You know Earl, I thought you were a bad guy at first, but you’ve really taught me to believe in myself…” lines, if you know what I mean.

I’m proud to say that that was the very first thing that came to my mind!

I came to this show late (watched the first three eps as repeats last weekend), but have found it to be of consistently good quality.

By the way, that woman is Jason Lee’s girlfriend and the mother of Pilot Inspektor!