My son finally passed his driver’s test!

What a relief. He had one last Saturday and failed miserably. Ran over 2 cones and didn’t get past the parking portion. If he didn’t pass this test we wouldn’t have been able to reschedule until after his appointment to get his license at the Secretary of State, and since the SOS is appointment- only these days, it would have been months later to reschedule.

He was so nervous, good Lord was it nerve-wracking. I can’t think of any other rite of passage a parent goes through with their kids that’s scarier than them learning to drive (other than the actual birth, or course).

Congratulations to your son!

I’m sympathetic. I failed my first driver’s test, too. I made a left turn from the straight lane. Driver’s training with my Mom was one of the most stressful experiences… I’m hoping by the time Spice Kit is that age we’re all in self-driving vehicles.

Thanks Spice Weasel!

Now the younger of my two kids is just old enough to start driver’s training, so I get to do this all over again in the very near future. I expect my hair will be fully gray by then.

Shortly after WWII, my dad and a college buddy swapped wives – for the purpose teaching the women to drive. All four agreed after it had probably preserved both marriages.

In Maryland, rookie drivers are required to have 30 hours of classroom training and at least 6 hours on the road training with an approved provider (driving school) before they can take the driving test. Back in the dark ages of the early 70s when I got my license, any licensed driver could teach you. I still took driver’s ed at school, but it wasn’t required - however, my dad could be a tad, um, impatient… :wink:

My driving test was fun - our family car was a station wagon, but I could parallel park that sucker with the best of 'em!

Call your insurance company IMMEDIATELY. Ask if they have a good student discount, and get a transcript of his school records!

~VOW

Congrats to the kid!

When I took my test - back when the biggest hurdle we had was avoiding the dinosaurs browsing around the edges of the testing center - my brothers were rather gleefully predicting I’d fail it at least once. I proved 'em wrong, hah! It helped that i’d been driving for nearly a year, on one permit after another - folks just never had the opportunity to take me in for the actual behind-the-wheel test. We didn’t have the hassle of having to go somewhere to get the license then, at least.

Dweezil took driver’s ed in high school. When he did it, you had the option of paying extra for actual behind-the-wheel training, and the instructor had the ability to “pass” you on your driver’s test. She did NOT find him ready - so he drove for a while longer on his permit. He finally took his test at a DMV center, after his 18th birthday - at which point they were able to issue it on the spot: turns out the visit to the judge is only for under-18s.

I wish Moon Unit would get off her duff and get her permit. She actually has one, from Virginia, but a) I suspect it’s expired and b) she now lives in Vermont. She actually wasn’t allowed to attempt driving for a bit (slight problem with seizures!!) and though those are under control and she’s OK now, she is very reluctant even though we’ve told her we will pay for her to take lessons up there.

Congratulations. During training I habitually knocked down the cones. In the actual test, however, I miraculously aced the the cone and parking segments, and instead racked up points for going too slowly in a residential area, and for changing lanes without signalling. Barely passed!

Thanks guys!

Hehe, @Mama_Zappa, Moon Unit and Dweezil. Did you stop at Dweezil or do you have an Ahmet and a Diva too?

I failed my first driver’s test by putting the car in the ditch and being unable to get it out.

I took it in February in Minnesota, and it rained a little that morning then snowed a few inches. The road was quite icy. My dad asked if I really wanted to try that day, and I figured that I had to learn how to drive in the snow at some point. I going OK until I was asked to take a left. I got half way through the turn, hit an icy patch, and went into a ditch. It was only a foot or so below the road, so not too bad. I tried to get the car out of the ditch with no success, so the tester and me walked back to the test center. Another guy with a 4 wheel drive vehicle offered to pull the car out. The next week, I passed with 90+ out of a 100.

Where the climate demands it - it should be mandatory for part of a driving test to be done under winter conditions. There are so many drivers who don’t know how to control their vehicle when skidding, or can’t get out of a spot since their tires are spinning.

That seems a little unfair, mcgato. In icy conditions even a driver like me with 40(!) years of driving experience can ditch a vehicle. Just the winter before last, I was doing 20-25 on a 40 MPH road in my Jeep because the road was a sheet of ice. I gently applied brakes because a red light was coming up, and went in an uncontrollable skid toward a metal sign I was about to take out (4 wheel drive is no help if all 4 tires are on ice!). At the last second one of my tires must have hit a dry patch, because my Jeep whipped around and I did a 180, facing the other direction, but luckily none the worse for wear.

Nope. Once we were outnumbered 2 to 2, we gave up in utter terror :smiley:

THE ONE BEST THING about having a new driver in the house:

“Son (or Daughter), I’m out of gas. Please take Mommy’s car and fill it up for me.”

~VOW

I would have thought it would be “having a designated driver” since he has more than 3 years until he can legally drink :rofl:

JK!

Hah! I did actually have my son drive us home once: we were at a movie at a brand-new theatre, and they were now serving alcoholic beverages, so I thought I’d indulge.

Our “it’s great to have a kid who drives” moment was when we gave Dweezil a grocery list and a credit card - and 90 minutes later we had a week’s worth of groceries.

Vow: the whole “take Mom’s car and fill the tank” can be offset by “Son, you borrowed the car and brought it home with nothing but fumes in the tank. How is Mom supposed to get to work?” :smiley:

@Mama_Zappa

I suggest “Hey, Kid, go find a 24-hour gas station and fill up the car…NOW.”

To be delivered with the well-known “Mom Look.”

~VOW

Congrats to your son, make sure you have good insurance though.

When I did my test in rural NSW you got your learners permit after doing a written test, then when you were old enough you booked in for a driving test at the local Cop station. I knew the local Constable who took me for my test, he settled my nerves by getting in the passenger seat of mums car, leaning back and saying to me “Take us up to Kelly’s Pub. This car should know it’s own way there” (reference to my Dad, not Mum.)

By the time my kids did there’s over 10 years ago, the learners permit was an online test done in a Vicroads office and they needed 120 hours of supervised driving documented in a log book in order to do the driving test.
My daughter failed 3 times before she got it. She had to learn to temper her impatience.

I had driver’s ed in high school. It cost a whopping $20 (1977). The school had an array of cars and the parking lot was marked out like a road. We drove around the parking lot for a few weeks, then the instructor would take a carload of 3 students out on the road where we’d take turns behind the wheel. We also had a trailer that was a driving simulator. Then we took our permit test in class. After we had our permit we had to practice with our parent(s) before we could take the driving test. That was the worst part. Driving with my dad was so stressful. I hated it and after the first couple of practices with him, I quit. He was a good dad but he yelled a lot (his bark was worse than his bite). I didn’t get my license until I was in my 20s!

After WWII my dad and a college buddy of his decided to teach their wives to drive. They swapped wives – for training purposes only :slightly_smiling_face: – and were both successful.

When I was a teen Dad confided, "It was probably the best decision we’d ever made to preserve our marriages.