New house!

No pics yet. Most of the house is still empty so pics would be pretty boring.

Basically, when my boyfriend and I broke up over 2 years ago, he put the condo on the market with the intention of moving closer to work.

Well, I came back. We got back together. The condo sold. This all took less than 2 months.

In 5 days, we found our dream house and somehow managed to get the sellers to accept the offer ($14k under the asking, and almost $60k less than we were willing to spend!)

Additionally, we got them to agree to a rider which allows us to move in before the closing date because the condo sale happened today and the new house wont close for probably 2 more weeks.

We finished packing the condo on Sunday afternoon and had to spend Sunday and Monday nights in a hotel.

Anyway, we got the key on Monday night. For the first time, my boyfriend and I came here without a Realtor to chaperone us. We hung out for a few hours and then went back to the condo.

We refused to spend another night in a hotel so we moved in on Tuesday. We had a cooler with our refrigerated food, one suitcase each with clothing, a tub of coffee and a tub of sugar, a quart of half and half, two “prison” pillows ($3 white with blue stripe Wal-Mart pillows - I accidentley locked our pillows in the POD), two laptops (but no internet), and a twin size blow up mattress.

That first night was awesome and sucked - all at the same time. We couldn’t do much but clean, which we did. We couldn’t unpack anything because the POD wasn’t due to arrive until Wednesday. The house was too quiet, except when it made settling noises and then it was too loud. We went grocery shopping so we could have something for dinner. We got little personal pizzas and ate them while sitting on the air mattress and leaving the plates on the hearth. The mattress was WAY too small for the two of us. My boyfriend is 5’11" and has very wide shoulders. I am very short but I am also overweight. I also found out that cathedral ceilings really amplify snoring.

I went for a drive at 1:30 am because I was determined to find a 24-hour Wal-Mart so I could buy a game for my laptop, or a book. After 3 hours of driving around central MA, I came to the conclusion that the only 24-hour Wal-Mart is in Plattsburgh NY.

On my way back home, I saw a deer. A live deer. I think I can count on one hand how many times in my life I’ve seen a live deer.

So, the night sucked but I will remember it fondly for the rest of my life. It was one of the best experiences I’ve ever had.
On Wednesday I went to PT and on the way back I checked the old condo. The POD was still there. It was almost 2pm. We started to get nervous.

The POD was delivered around 4pm. My boyfriend’s dad and nephew drove 40 minutes to help unload it (I can’t do any heavy lifting).
Anyway, we were able to get a desk chair and two crappy kitchen chairs, the mattresses, and a lot of stuff for the kitchen.

We had Thanksgiving at his parents’ house and when we came back, we started working on the house again. After his second trip out to the POD, I heard a strange exclaimation come from my boyfriend. He had found a pie on our front porch. It was a homemade pumpkin (my all-time favorite) pie wrapped in pretty cellophane paper and tied with a bow. It had a very nice card from a neighbor who was welcoming us to the neighborhood and wishing us a happy Thanksgiving. I have no clue who these people are. I had to look them up on the internet to even find out where they live so I can return the dish and thank them! For a girl from the bad side of Worcester, this was totally unexpected and wholly appreciated.

This morning, I drove to Worcester to get my mom. She wanted to hang with me today while my boyfriend worked. I had to do some more unpacking and we had some deliveries coming.

Before I got a mile from my house, I saw two more deer run across the street. When I got to where they crossed, I looked to see if they were still there. I saw FOUR deer standing in someone’s backyard! I can’t wait til it snows. I want to find deer prints in my back yard!!

My mom and I had a good time today. The delivery guys came with my living room set and bedroom set. The cable guy came to set up the cable, internet, and phone. He was a bit surprised to find out that this house had never been connected to the cable lines before. No one warned him. He was here for over 4 hours!!

The furniture guys set everything up and even asked me if I had felt pads (I did) and they then put them on the legs for me!

I made a nice pork loin dinner and when my dad and step-brother came to get my mom, we had a nice family meal. I also got the guys to put my bedroom TV on the dresser since I can’t do it.

All in all, the past week has been amazingly tiring. The rain has barely stopped all week. The house is still mostly empty (we went from 750 sf to 1600 sf and neither of us is a packrat). We have company coming for dinner tomorrow and our dining room set wont be delivered until Monday. We are going to go out tomorrow morning to get the hardware we need for the fireplace so we can actually light a fire.

I am completely in love with the house, the neighborhood, the town, everything!! I am a very happy person lately. If my stupid arm would just stop hurting, life would be perfect. I guess I can’t expect perfection.

Anyway, as soon as I have a camera, I’ll post pics of how it looks so far.

Congratulations. Wishing you a lifetime of joy in your new home.

Congratulations! Be careful of those deer; they like to commit suicide with your participation.